Bios Bat. Where? Tosh 420/430/440

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 10:26:54 PM

I know where the lion battery is under the bottom slide panel,
but where in the heck is the Bio Battery? I know how to get
under the keyboard also by removing the very narry strip just
below the keyboard itself, then swingint the keyboard upwards.
Is the bio lithium cell under the keyboard???
Kokomo Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2004 2:40:03 PM

Thanks much for defineing the location for me. Wow must be 3 lithiums
in series or more likely in parallel. I can probably use 1 Duracel
3v lithium if it will fit in the same physical space. Should last
at least 5 years.

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, bobchang wrote:

> Yes it is (under the KB). Look for something that's like 3 clock batteries
> chained together in this fashion: OOO, and wrapped in green plastic shrink
> wrap,located in the lower left corner of the KB opening, with a set of red
> and black wires that zig-zags up to somewhere above it (approx. 11 o'clock
> direction), and plugged into a connector on the main board.
>
> It's been six years since I last seen one of these machines, so don't
> shoot me if I'm wrong!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2004 2:40:53 PM

Yes it is (under the KB). Look for something that's like 3 clock batteries
chained together in this fashion: OOO, and wrapped in green plastic shrink
wrap,located in the lower left corner of the KB opening, with a set of red
and black wires that zig-zags up to somewhere above it (approx. 11 o'clock
direction), and plugged into a connector on the main board.

It's been six years since I last seen one of these machines, so don't
shoot me if I'm wrong!
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2004 5:34:25 PM

As I recall, there are two batteries to deal with one for the real-time
clock (may also support Resume) and the BIOS battery. I believe both
are under the keyboard.

I did such a replacement some years ago on a 430; but at this point,
many laptops since, I don't even recall what I did with the 430. Hmmmm
.... a mystery, that; maybe it's still around somewhere.

Phil

Joseph Fenn wrote:

> I know where the lion battery is under the bottom slide panel,
> but where in the heck is the Bio Battery? I know how to get
> under the keyboard also by removing the very narry strip just
> below the keyboard itself, then swingint the keyboard upwards.
> Is the bio lithium cell under the keyboard???
> Kokomo Joe

> * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *

a b D Laptop
April 25, 2004 10:27:09 PM

Tnx Barry. I just assumed that most if not all laptops use the
standard 3 vdc lithiums (about the size of a quarter).
But one person said it appears to be serveral of them packaged
together in one block that plugs into a receptacle under the
keyboard. If they were in series that would be like 9 vdc.
I doubt that as being likely. I have substituted the standard
Duracell lithium's for such stuff as backing up static ram
boxes etc that came originally with the same lithium 3 volt
quarters. The duracell 3v lithium will last for much longer.
I have two in use here that are going on 10 years now without
a flicker.
Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 1:08:10 AM

I bought replacements on line. Problem is attaching the leads to the
batteries and the cells to one another.

Phil

Joseph Fenn wrote:
> Thanks much for defineing the location for me. Wow must be 3 lithiums
> in series or more likely in parallel. I can probably use 1 Duracel
> 3v lithium if it will fit in the same physical space. Should last
> at least 5 years.
> Kokomo Joe

> * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
>

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, bobchang wrote:
>

>>Yes it is (under the KB). Look for something that's like 3 clock batteries
>>chained together in this fashion: OOO, and wrapped in green plastic shrink
>>wrap,located in the lower left corner of the KB opening, with a set of red
>>and black wires that zig-zags up to somewhere above it (approx. 11 o'clock
>>direction), and plugged into a connector on the main board.
>>
>>It's been six years since I last seen one of these machines, so don't
>>shoot me if I'm wrong!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 2:31:05 AM

There are two of them in the 420 and 430 series, and they are under the
keyboard. You remove a trim strip along the keyboard edge (very easy to
crack/break), then the keyboard lifts up. There are no actual screws to
remove. Not totally sure about the 440, but I believe it's similar.

Joseph Fenn wrote:
> I know where the lion battery is under the bottom slide panel,
> but where in the heck is the Bio Battery? I know how to get
> under the keyboard also by removing the very narry strip just
> below the keyboard itself, then swingint the keyboard upwards.
> Is the bio lithium cell under the keyboard???
> Kokomo Joe

> * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *

a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 2:40:26 AM

More likely in series. Batteries should NEVER be run in parallel,
because their voltage won't be EXACTLY the same, and they will destroy
each other trying to "cross charge" themselves. Diodes can prevent
this, but the loss across the diodes is unacceptable for single cells.

Joseph Fenn wrote:

> Thanks much for defineing the location for me. Wow must be 3 lithiums
> in series or more likely in parallel. I can probably use 1 Duracel
> 3v lithium if it will fit in the same physical space. Should last
> at least 5 years.
> Kokomo Joe

> * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
>

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, bobchang wrote:
>

>>Yes it is (under the KB). Look for something that's like 3 clock batteries
>>chained together in this fashion: OOO, and wrapped in green plastic shrink
>>wrap,located in the lower left corner of the KB opening, with a set of red
>>and black wires that zig-zags up to somewhere above it (approx. 11 o'clock
>>direction), and plugged into a connector on the main board.
>>
>>It's been six years since I last seen one of these machines, so don't
>>shoot me if I'm wrong!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 2:41:41 AM

Best to buy a new battery pack from a Toshiba parts source. If these
are lithium batteries and you try to solder them, you can cause a
dangerously violent explosion.

Phil Wheeler wrote:

> I bought replacements on line. Problem is attaching the leads to the
> batteries and the cells to one another.
>
> Phil
>
> Joseph Fenn wrote:
>
>> Thanks much for defineing the location for me. Wow must be 3 lithiums
>> in series or more likely in parallel. I can probably use 1 Duracel
>> 3v lithium if it will fit in the same physical space. Should last
>> at least 5 years.
>> Kokomo Joe

>> * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
>>

>> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, bobchang wrote:
>>

>>> Yes it is (under the KB). Look for something that's like 3 clock
>>> batteries
>>> chained together in this fashion: OOO, and wrapped in green plastic
>>> shrink
>>> wrap,located in the lower left corner of the KB opening, with a set
>>> of red
>>> and black wires that zig-zags up to somewhere above it (approx. 11
>>> o'clock
>>> direction), and plugged into a connector on the main board.
>>>
>>> It's been six years since I last seen one of these machines, so don't
>>> shoot me if I'm wrong!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 5:13:33 AM

Yes, always. When I did this 3-4 yrs ago with a 430 I bought them from
some (non-Toshiba) place on line.

Phil

Barry Watzman wrote:

> Best to buy a new battery pack from a Toshiba parts source. If these
> are lithium batteries and you try to solder them, you can cause a
> dangerously violent explosion.
>
> Phil Wheeler wrote:
>
>> I bought replacements on line. Problem is attaching the leads to the
>> batteries and the cells to one another.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> Joseph Fenn wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks much for defineing the location for me. Wow must be 3 lithiums
>>> in series or more likely in parallel. I can probably use 1 Duracel
>>> 3v lithium if it will fit in the same physical space. Should last
>>> at least 5 years.
>>> Kokomo Joe
>>>

>>> ****************************************************
>>> * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
>>> ****************************************************

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 5:52:06 AM

I wouldn't use lithium batteries. The factory original cmos batteries are
NiMH, okay? NOT LITHIUM. I'm afraid to think of what might happen if
the system attempts to charge your ... rigged lithiums :)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 5:53:35 AM

Joe, these ain't lithiums. They're NiMH! I hope I caught you in time...

bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 4:09:11 PM

> Tnx Barry. I just assumed that most if not all laptops use the
> standard 3 vdc lithiums (about the size of a quarter).

Many laptops do use the "standard" CR2032 cells. However, Toshibas
often use a small rechargeable Ni-MH battery for the CMOS backup.
These are typically comprised of three 1.2V V30H cells (about the size
of an LR44), mounted side by side inside a piece of green heatshrink.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 5:28:29 PM

There is some propagating misunderstanding here. The backup batteries
in the 430 etal are rechargeables -- and I believe they are NiMH vs.
Li-Ion. There are two of them and they are of two specific sizes,
related to the location where they must fit and their use.

You really do need the specific batteries designed for this purpose.

Check this website. You need both batteries listed.

http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/TOSHIBA_425CDS_4...

Phil

Joseph Fenn wrote:

> Tnx Barry. I just assumed that most if not all laptops use the
> standard 3 vdc lithiums (about the size of a quarter).
> But one person said it appears to be serveral of them packaged
> together in one block that plugs into a receptacle under the
> keyboard. If they were in series that would be like 9 vdc.
> I doubt that as being likely. I have substituted the standard
> Duracell lithium's for such stuff as backing up static ram
> boxes etc that came originally with the same lithium 3 volt
> quarters. The duracell 3v lithium will last for much longer.
> I have two in use here that are going on 10 years now without
> a flicker.
> Joe

> * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *

a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 5:28:30 PM

Dat's rite! The cmos battery is NiMH, and the resume battery is Nicad,
come to think of it... I would not dare use non-rechargeables unless I'm
wearing goggles around it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 7:31:33 PM

Barry, Thanks for the info but I got further detailed info after
my original msg. Seems on that series of TOSH laptops everything
derives its power from the big li'on battery includeing the bio
power source it self. The bio source battery is in other words
a rechargeable itself and gets its recharging furrent from main
lion battery pak.
Joe

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 11:42:13 PM

Joe, no, these are NOT that type of battery, they are a custom battery
"pack", and I'm not sure if they are rechargeable or if they are just
single-use long-life lithium cells.

Joseph Fenn wrote:

> Tnx Barry. I just assumed that most if not all laptops use the
> standard 3 vdc lithiums (about the size of a quarter).
> But one person said it appears to be serveral of them packaged
> together in one block that plugs into a receptacle under the
> keyboard. If they were in series that would be like 9 vdc.
> I doubt that as being likely. I have substituted the standard
> Duracell lithium's for such stuff as backing up static ram
> boxes etc that came originally with the same lithium 3 volt
> quarters. The duracell 3v lithium will last for much longer.
> I have two in use here that are going on 10 years now without
> a flicker.
> Joe

> * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *

a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 4:15:37 AM

Rechargable: Been there, done that.