CM 120mm Heatsink
Corsair 750w
Light on 24x DVD
1 TB Western Digital
6g Corsair DDR3
2x ASUS 23" monitors
Logitech G510
Razer Naga

I was planning on getting some high quality fans for my case, and this would run me around $100. I figured if i was going to spend that much, I should look into watercoolingn instead. Anyway, I'm planning on upgrading that. As of now I'm thinking abother 6870, and maybe a SSD. Also I've been thinking about water cooling. Yes, I read the sticky :)  The thing is I learn the best by being told exactly what to do once, and from that I'll pick it up.

1) What kind of difference will I see with water cooling? I'm planning on spending a bit of money upgrading, but if it costs me $650,232 to lower the CPU 1C then it wouldn't exactly be worth it.

2) My graphics card broke, right now it's sent in and getting fixed. That means this week I plan on taking my entire computer apart, painting the inside of the case, and putting it back together. Now would It be easiest to set up water cooling then? Like would I need to take my motherboard off or anything to put the CPU block on? Or could I have my computer all set up, and just spend not that long setting everything up.

3) Looks are very important to me. I'm thinking of a UV / blue water cooling, I heard that colored tubes is the way to go. Is this more expensive and harder to find?

4) I would greatly appreciate it if you suggested exactly what pieces I should buy (Links at newegg or something so i could just press add to cart) I really do learn much easier that way.

5) I heard GPU blocks are expensive. If I crossfired then it would be double the money I'm guessing. Would that be worth it?

6) I travel 6 hours in a car to college and bring my desktop. What precautions would I have to take with the water cooling and how long would that take?

7) Total price (If you answer #5 ) :) 

Thank you! I appreciate the help!

More about : time water cooling

a c 331 K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 10:07:49 PM

Quote:
Your Water cooling requires more than $500 if you want it to be good..
Depends. If you know what you are doing and know what to shop for across several sites, you can do quite well for yourself, financially.

Quote:
Don't get nickel plated Blocks because it gets eats-up...

This is specific to most EK nickel plated blocks. In general, there have been few issues with other manufacturers' nickel plated blocks.

Quote:
Goodluck wit hwater cooling btw test it for like 2 days b4 puting it in your computer otherwise it leaks ...

Incorrect. 90% of the time when I build/refill/update my water loop, I test inside my case for 30 mins with ATX power jumpered to power 5v. After that, I plug everything in for real. I've only had one leak ever...and that was because I didn't seat a clamp well on a GPU barb a few years ago.

---Now on to the OP's questions---

1. Watercooling should allow you (if you design your loop well to handle the heat in watts correctly...aka Delta -T) to maintain a water temp that is within 5-15 degrees Celsius of ambient room temperature. For example, I run a Q6600 @ 3.4ghz (1ghz overclock) and SLI GTX 260's in my loop. All components run, at load, at about 40-45C, depending on ambient room temp. It doesn't take long to heat up my office, so it fluctuates between 40C and creeps towards 45C or so over time. By comparison, a stock GTX 260 cooler usually keeps a loaded GTX 260 running around 60-70C.

2. Yes, most CPU blocks require you to remove the motherboard to install a backplate and threaded bolts to secure them.

3. UV tubing is very common to find on most watercooling sites. Some sites like www.Frozencpu.com have a very extensive selection of tubing brands, sizes, flexes, colors and UV ability.

4. This isn't as simple as what you say. Depending on budget, performance and future upgrades, this can change a decent amount.

5. Full cover GPU blocks run about $100-$125 each. Universal blocks run about $55-$60 each, but require RAMsinks for your RAM modules. Universals flow a little slower than full covers and perform a little lower as well...maybe 1-2C at most.

6. If you have everything secured within your case, you should be fine. Your biggest concern should be your graphics cards...make sure they are well secured via screws or brackets as they are really the main component that has the potential to snap off inside the port.

7. Again, kind of depends on what your current needs are and what your potential plans are for upgrades and the time-frame of such.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 10:20:33 PM

^ Nice job on the rebuke
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 11:37:01 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Incorrect. 90% of the time when I build/refill/update my water loop, I test inside my case for 30 mins with ATX power jumpered to power 5v. After that, I plug everything in for real. I've only had one leak ever...and that was because I didn't seat a clamp well on a GPU barb a few years ago.

Testing outside is recommended for like a day or so because you could never know when it's ganna leak because it may make a "drip" in 6 hours or even 10 hours... You never know if a loop holes(the inside at the end that connects to whatever) is curved or not which can cause leaks, and sometime it may even be the heatsink itself or the pump that caused a leak.. :/ ...
EDIT: Jvass, you dont need water cooling if you dont OC your CPU to 4.4GHz or so and you dont need to water cool your 6870 if it's not reaching the 80s(70s are still considered good temp)
m
l
July 29, 2011 1:55:17 AM

Could I get a decent water cooling set for less than $250? Because if I cant than I guess most of this doesnt really matter :-p

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate them
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 2:54:00 AM

Jvass said:
Could I get a decent water cooling set for less than $250? Because if I cant than I guess most of this doesnt really matter :-p

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate them

You can get a Corsair H100 for $120 and a Videocard block for like $80 or similar and mod the H100 but buy another or few loops for it tho...

EDIT: I dont think it's even possible because I never heard such thing LOL...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 11:03:17 AM

legendkiller said:
You can get a Corsair H100 for $120 and a Videocard block for like $80 or similar and mod the H100 but buy another or few loops for it tho...

EDIT: I dont think it's even possible because I never heard such thing LOL...

Hmm, not an H100, but I had no problem doing it

I don't think that's what the OP was hoping for though, he did say " decent watercooling "

m
l
a c 331 K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 2:22:09 PM

Quote:
Testing outside is recommended for like a day or so because you could never know when it's ganna leak because it may make a "drip" in 6 hours or even 10 hours...

This is why you take your time, inspect all your fittings, components, etc. I don't suggest everyone follow what I do. However, after 2-4 hours of leak testing, you are typically good to go. It is still an excellent idea to keep a very close eye on things for the next couple of days just to make sure, but the idea that a leak will only show up 10 hours into a leak test isn't necessarily accurate. Most leaks will be immediately evident during the first leak test. To note, if you leak test outside of your case (unmounted loop) you'll just need to re-test once you mount it all...you are likely to twist tubing or a fitting loose while trying to move components into the correct positions.

Quote:
You never know if a loop holes(the inside at the end that connects to whatever) is curved or not which can cause leaks, and sometime it may even be the heatsink itself or the pump that caused a leak..

It's statements like this that do not add value to your debate...it would help to provide correct terminology, functionality and design principles when offering advice in the contrary to those of others.

Quote:
EDIT: Jvass, you dont need water cooling if you dont OC your CPU to 4.4GHz or so and you dont need to water cool your 6870 if it's not reaching the 80s(70s are still considered good temp)

I do agree with this. The previous gen i7's do not get as hot as current gen's do. 70C is a decent temp range for a loaded GPU. (Watercooled GPUs would likely be about 30C cooler at load.)

Quote:
I don't think that's what the OP was hoping for though, he did say " decent watercooling "

This made me laugh....:)  Hey, I like anyone that wants to mod a product to make it suit their own needs.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 6:35:40 PM

delluser1 said:
Hmm, not an H100, but I had no problem doing it
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j351/contrvlr/SDC10349.jpg

That's yours? LOL... Nice MOD, just as I Thought and as I figured LOL... Never seen one b4 lol...
m
l
July 29, 2011 8:54:36 PM

Looks like WCing isnt for me right now, I want to spend maybe 500 upgrading, if water cooling isn't going to benefit me all that much maybe i'll do it around christmas time or something :( 

Thanks for the help!
m
l
a c 331 K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 9:01:40 PM

It isn't going to make a huge performance difference, just a noticeable temperature difference. Most people don't reach the thermal threshold where temperature is the limiting factor in overclocking or even stock-clocked computing.

If you have a limited budget of ~$500, you can find a lot of performance that would easily outweigh cooling options for most people.
m
l
July 29, 2011 9:19:28 PM

I understand that, my computer is basically my main hobby though. I want to watercool to experience it, to have it, and to brag about it. Being able to overclock my CPU higher would definitely make me happier, but I'm just not too sure if the cost outweighs the experience of having it. Hell, I don't even know what the cost would be haha
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 9:27:30 PM

Jvass said:
I understand that, my computer is basically my main hobby though. I want to watercool to experience it, to have it, and to brag about it. Being able to overclock my CPU higher would definitely make me happier, but I'm just not too sure if the cost outweighs the experience of having it. Hell, I don't even know what the cost would be haha

Buy a VideoCard Block and a H100 and some loops, it should be under $300...
http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/blocks/vga-blocks/ati...
Or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 331 K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 9:56:15 PM

Not to be the rally killer here, but using an H100 as the pump and CPU block and included rad 220 rad for a CPU and 1...possibly 2 GPUs is a very poor idea.
m
l
July 29, 2011 10:29:24 PM

jvass: Like you I tinker with my PC as a hobby and I watercooled it about 3 years ago with a lot of help from rubix and conundrum (sp?). They helped a LOT, but in the end I really did end up spending something like $600 for 3 waterblocks and all the additional parts +shipping (they really do add up). but...if you buy good parts the stsyem can follow you on future upgrades.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 7, 2011 5:21:37 PM

japps2 said:
jvass: Like you I tinker with my PC as a hobby and I watercooled it about 3 years ago with a lot of help from rubix and conundrum (sp?). They helped a LOT, but in the end I really did end up spending something like $600 for 3 waterblocks and all the additional parts +shipping (they really do add up). but...if you buy good parts the stsyem can follow you on future upgrades.

i couldent have said it better my self i also have built my pc as a hobby and the water cooling aspect of it is the part i enjoy the most. yes the parts start to add up when you go all out, i estimate im sitting just over $800 invested in water cooling and could go further with it but it to the point of want vs need. by no means do you have to spend as much as i did to get a good lcs but it has allowed me to surpass expectations of all my componets and remember heat kills componets so keeping then cool is going to make your rig last that much longer
m
l
August 11, 2011 11:54:26 AM

just buy a corsair h70 for $75...no point in wasting money unless you are an enthusiast or doing some high overclocking. the h100 is more expensive and is not worth the price bump for the slight performance bump. i have an h60 with just a push, no pull idle temps at stock 3.4 i7-2600k ~28c and max load temps from intel burn test 10 cycles maximum ~60c. great temps for great price.

its easy to install and easy to maintain
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2011 10:15:37 PM

mcinjere said:
just buy a corsair h70 for $75...no point in wasting money unless you are an enthusiast or doing some high overclocking. the h100 is more expensive and is not worth the price bump for the slight performance bump. i have an h60 with just a push, no pull idle temps at stock 3.4 i7-2600k ~28c and max load temps from intel burn test 10 cycles maximum ~60c. great temps for great price.

its easy to install and easy to maintain

You dont know the different between 240 RAD and 120 RAD... You got a 120 RAD which isn't even anywhere near the 240RAD because the 240 RAD dissipate heat better than a 120 RAD.... If you got a H60, than feel the heat from your H60 and double that heat and you'll see the different when having 240RAD for just $30 more...
m
l
!