Which one do you think is better and why

htfdwlfpack

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I currently have a Nvidia 8600GTS(don't laugh :) and im looking to upgrade. Ive got some good advice from people but wanted to see what everyone here thought of these two cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150394

The second one is my first choice because of the price. Id like to stay in that range or top out at 200 dollars, would like to avoid that if possible.

I only see two differences in the cards, the memory clock and the core clock. Now i don't pretend to know what either of these do, Ive done a little research on them but that's about it.

What are the pros and cons of each card, im sure theres not many but lets see what you guys have to say.

I use my PC mostly for gaming, and intenet seraching and some college course work, so basically this card will be for games.
Im more of an RPG player,currently my game of choice is Lord of the Rings Online. Ill also be looking to get DragonAge ,diablo3(if it ever comes out) and SW:TOR,when it comes out. Im not an intense gamer but i like to be able to play games at high settings and stuff like that, which i currently can not do with the card i have. Ok enough rambling i hope to return to find some answers to my questions

The 4870 is indeed a great card for the price, you could not really go wrong. However, having said that....
We need to know the rest of your basic hardware to give you informed, intelligent advice my friend. CPU, memory, motherboard, monitor and resolution you game at please.

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
yes, it would be nice to see your other components, saying that it does not seem that you are really playing very demanding games

htfdwlfpack

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

Lets see if i can gt it all correct :)

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
Mem: for the life of me cant remember exactly how much but i know its 4+(using a 32bit system right now though)
Motherboard:Abit fatality fp-in9 sli board

as for the monitor and resolution question im a bit confused so ill post what i know and if you need more clearifications or different information let me know
monitor Samsung SyncMaster 2433BW Widescreen Monitor, using 1920X1200. Something tells me this might not be what your looking for but ill check back soon if i got it wrong :)

Thanks so fr for the quick replys from you two i appreciate it

At that resolution (which was the info we needed BTW) get the HD4890 but bear in mind it needs a good quality powersupply with 1X6 pin and 1X8 pin PCI-E power connectors. I would not advise using power adaptors on a card with such a high power draw, it could overload the power lines.

htfdwlfpack

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

PHEW i got it right lol.

Thanks this is also the PS i have in my PC. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/776 (took the first link google gave me seems to have the information that is needed :)

Not sure what you ment about the power connectors as ive got to be honest never heard of them before. Perhaps i have an just never paid attention

htfdwlfpack

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Thank you coozie7 youve been most helpful.

now if i could just find a good promo code for newegg.com that would be the icing on the cake

Tough choice, the 4890 or the 275. Really comes down to your preference here, nVidia or ATI. But at the res you posted, I would get one of these 2 cards that coozie posted.
Don't know how you feel about overclocking, but if you bump that Q6700 up a notch or to around 3ghz, and get one of these GPU's, you are going to be ready for some serious gaming! The cards alone though are going to be a night and day improvement over what you had.

CWillis767

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
You went with Nvidia the first time why not do it again. Plus Intel and Nvidia have a good history together with their components and also the companies work together often on new products. Usually that ends in better optimization.