Brand new overclocked i5 not working properly

ea25

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I just bought this bundle http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=BU-010-OB together with the following components : Palit GeForce GTS 250 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card, Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache, Sony Optiarc AD-7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe Optical Drive. I mounted everything on the mobo according to the guides and the pc immediately switched on. However it didn't work properly and is behaving completely wrong. These are few of the following symptoms which are randomly occuring each time i restart the system (or the system restarts itself without warning) :

1. POST is taking about thirty seconds to complete, if it is completed at all as it sometimes it resets itself automatically.

2. If POST succeeds either

a) it prompts an overclocking error!
or

b) it detetects my HDD and DVD-Rom but doesn't boot from either of these. (it just stays put on a blank screen with a blinking cursor on the top left corner)

or
c) it starts to boot from DVD-rom but immediately freezes after a few seconds, in case i have to restart the system myself and the cycle is repeated again

If this is an overclocking issue i can't figure out what it might possibly be wrong since i'm a total noob ( the reason i ordered a preclocked bundle from OCuk and having tweaked it myself). I would like some suggestion from where to begin. Thank You.

bobbe23

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Could be a heating problem caused by the overclock or the hsf not properly installed...clear cmos and see if you have a healthy post

ea25

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Sorry for not posting the full specs. Here they are :

Overclocked CPU,Ram, Mobo, Fan bundle : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-010-OB together with the following components : Palit GeForce GTS 250 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card, Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache, Sony Optiarc AD-7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe Optical Drive (Black).

The bundle come overclocked so i didn't have to tweak anything. I ran the system using default bios settings and everything went perfectly well. However i paid for an overclocked system so i expect it to be that way. Would appreciate any suggestions of any options available. Thanks

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Overclockers are a great bunch and their overclocked bundles are fantastic, so the very first thing you should do is get in touch with them - they did the OC as part of the order and as a result there is a fault that they should fix.

Get on to them first before you fiddle with anything else.

ea25

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I already e-mailed overclockers but of course haven't yet replied since it is a Sunday. Thought i'd gather some info here in the mean time and of course run everything at default settings not to mess anything up

Talk to them, don't fiddle with anything until you have, could be that the hsf came loose in transit? is it still push pin like the 775's are?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007

Overclockers ship their bundles with the HSF detached so you have to put it back on yourself - it's possible the OP's not put in on properly, but it's best to check with OC first.

Thats what I was thinking, poorly attached HSF, causing temp rise, but would typically cause throttling rather than failure? but always worth checking.

ea25

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
OCuk contacted me and told me to try putting up the vcore by 2 notches. However I don't have any idea how to accomplish dish. About the HSF i'm quite sure it is setup correctly since the PC is working perfectly correct under default BIOS factory settings. However i'll try to check the capacitors one by one

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Um, if you've reset the BIOS to factory settings you've totally removed OC's overclock and wasted the money you've spent on their overclocking service.

PLEASE tell me you or they created a BIOS profile or something to store their settings?

In any case, Overclockers will have tested it fully using their settings to make sure the overclock works. If it doesn't then either you've fiddled with something to interfere or they never did the job properly to begin with.

In any event I'd personally tell them that you have no idea what you're doing hence purchasing the overclocking service so you can't change the vcore. Furthermore, you shouldn't need to change anything because it was sold as pre-overclocked and the goods are not supplied as described, so arrange to have the bundle sent back for them to fix.

Honestly, if you are a total noob as you say then we could all go round in circles trying to sort this out for you and never get anywhere, so it's best to exhaust all avenues with OC first.

ea25

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
LePhuronn thanks for your reply. OC's overclock settings are still saved on a separate profile (which i'm capable to restore from BIOS) and besides i have coped all their BIOS settings on a spreadsheet (just in case something crops up and the profile is removed).

The reason i haven't shipped everything back is that it won't be worth it as i have to pay extra shipping fees which would result in a futile effort of ordering from OCuK to rather than buying components from a local store.

ea25

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I managed to make it work by reducing dram frequency from ddr-1720 to ddr-1376 with a combination of BCLK frequency = 172 and CPU ratio setting set to 20. Bootet into windows correctly and launched CPU-Z. Now the overclock is fluctuating, at one moment it read 3.440 ghz and after a couple of second it goes automacilly down to somewhat like 1.2Ghz. Besides I haven't tested stability yet

TRENDING THREADS