Pc DOES NOT boot with HD4890 // BOOTS WITHOUT IT! HELP?!

Hi,

Problem: Blank screen (black) when I boot with the HD4890 installed. No mouse or keyboard power. When I take it out (the Hd4890) it boots perfectly using the onboard graphics of my motherboard.

Motherboard:

ASUS M4A78T-E :fou:

PLEASE, OH PLEASE HELP! :(

Is it some Bios setting? Is it an update for the drivers? Is it a hardware problem? Did I install my gpu wrong?

Been looking and looking for the past 10 hours, I'm desprate.
10 answers Last reply
More about boot hd4890 boots help
  1. What are your specs for the other components (especially the power supply)?
  2. Also, are both 6 pin power cables connected?
  3. +1 for above 2 posts.

@OP: List full specs
  4. Antec 902 case, fully working (fans etc)
    ASUS M4A78T-E motherboard
    Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition With Noctua U12P Cpu cooler.
    XFX HD 4890
    PSU: Antec TRUEPOWER 650 Watt ( 2 6 pin's are connected to the graphics card.)

I dont see how this is relevant though.. the graphics card is installed correctly, its just some kind of Bios setting or driver that's missing.. Or am I wrong?
  5. NEWS:

Got to boot in windows with the Hd4890 in it! BUT!: I had to set the standard (default) GFX to onboard.

Now I get error code 43 for the Hd4890

some more info about the error?

Device information
    Name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Id: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9460&SUBSYS_27021682&REV_00\4&204EAC5&0&0010

Also I did a bios update.. Didnt do alot..

PLEASE GUYS :<
  6. Sounds like a driver issue for your HD4890. What drivers do you have installed (and what OS are you using)?
  7. Windows 7 64-bit (Ultimate) And I've tried installing and uninstalling drivers, but when I try to install any drivers for the detected 'Radeon 4800 series' I get Error code 43.

I'm returning my GFX card for testing.
  8. Good luck. Let us know if that works.
  9. undertaxxx said:
    Windows 7 64-bit (Ultimate) And I've tried installing and uninstalling drivers, but when I try to install any drivers for the detected 'Radeon 4800 series' I get Error code 43.

I'm returning my GFX card for testing.

Before doing that - take the 4890 out of the system - boot into windows using the onboard - go in and change the video driver to the default VGA driver and shut down the system. - Reinstall the 4890 and ensure it is all hooked up (including moving the monitor plug to the 4890 - boot the system and enter BIOS and disable the onboard and set the default boot video to the PCI-e slot - save the changes and let the system boot - after windows loads go in and install the drivers for the 4890 (If it doesn't do this automatically using the found new hardware)
  10. I had this problem exact problem, the card was FUBAR & apparently it was my fault so I'm £150 out of pocket. Never buying ATI again unless I have to.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Boot Motherboards