Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II 945 vs i7-860

Last response: in CPUs
October 11, 2009 8:38:45 AM

Hi, im going to buy a new pc and i can't chose a cpu. What is better?

More about : amd phenom 945 860

a b à CPUs
October 11, 2009 9:20:09 AM

The 860 is faster, without a doubt. That doesn't mean it is the best for you though.

Are you buying a prebuilt, or building one yourself? What will the computer be used for?
October 11, 2009 9:44:19 AM

cjl said:
The 860 is faster, without a doubt. That doesn't mean it is the best for you though.

Are you buying a prebuilt, or building one yourself? What will the computer be used for?

could not have said it better myself
Related resources
October 11, 2009 9:54:01 AM

Atm looking at a prebuilt and it would be used for gaming. I added the specs to.

First pc specs: AMD Phenom II 945, 4GB DDR2 Apacer, MB Gigabyte MA790X-UD4, VGA 896MB NV GF GTX260 DVI, HDD 1000GB

Second pc specs: Intel Core I7-860, 4GB DDR3 Apacer, MB P55, VGA 1GB ATI HD 4890 DVI, HDD 1000GB
October 11, 2009 10:09:58 AM

I don't know anything about Apacer memory but the first build Isn't optimized for gaming at all, it uses ddr2 memory on a am3 mb and a nvidia gpu on a dragon based platform.
I'd go with the second one, btw, I've read in the forum that the 860's gaming performance equals 750's performance thus making it a bad money investment.
similar to the PII965 and the PII955
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2009 10:10:03 AM

The second one is definitely powerful.
But if you build a PC yourself then you can add better parts for same money.

Like if you opt for an Core i5 750 ,It will leave you with enough money to get 5850/5870 over an 4890.
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2009 10:25:32 AM

Between those two, I'd definitely get the second. It should be faster in pretty much every way.

That having been said, have you considered building it yourself? You should be able to get it cheaper if you do so, or build a better computer for the same money.
October 11, 2009 11:22:09 AM

zipzoomflyhigh, do you mind providing a link to it? I myself am considering a P55 build.
October 11, 2009 2:58:35 PM

Thanks mate!
October 11, 2009 3:06:54 PM

Well, after reading the high failure rates in these budget boards, I am wondering if it is safer to fork out a little more for a better board like GA-P55-UD4P?
October 11, 2009 3:42:41 PM

Well, let's just hope the OP's prebuilt isn't a cheap board like those in the article.
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2009 5:12:07 PM

Chances that it is Intel Specs is very low. This problem has happened many times in the past, Ex. the cheap msi boards in older gateways, with faulty capacitors.
October 12, 2009 6:03:49 PM

1st build is not optimized for parts it has...
2nd build would be best bet...

as other says here, s1156 are a no go, they use PCI-E as a FSB and NB features are stored in the cpu chip.

If you want to build up a system, i'd suggest 1366 or AM3 both with DDR3.
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2009 6:18:04 PM

the only problem with 1156 is when using more than 2 graphic cards.
October 12, 2009 6:56:30 PM

Well yea FINALLY people start realizing how much i5 was not well tought. I made a thread comparing Phenom II 955 vs i5 and got totally flammed.

I think Multi GPU is a MUST lately. it's a great money saver and offers incredible scales. but the LGA 1156 doesnt come with dual X16 and even tho it was "proven" by tom's that it doesnt affect THAT much (because it still affects.) they used a i7 860 instead of i5, and we don't know about future GPU's and possible bottleneck due to dual x8.
For any gamer out there, the best build is currently a Phenom II 955 with a M4A79T Deluxe.
This mobo offers dual x16, incredible overclocking and is a full AM3 mobo but for the price (196 CAD). And the good news are, AM3 is advancing. The next AM3 CPU are the 8 cores "Bulldozer" And 6 cores "Thuban" wich we know for shure that it will be AM2+ compatible.

Now to talk about compatibility, the mobo I chose is a full AM3/DDR3/Dual X16.
Now if you (for any reason) decide not to go dual GPU, You can simply grab a regular AM2+ for as low as 96 CAD and can still upgrade in the future. Or you can even consider a 126$ CAD AM3 Mobo with Dual X8.
Comparing to Intel, the next LGA 1156 CPU is i5 670, who will come with less cache (4MB BAD for gaming) and will cost..280$ >:D 
And once again, compared to i9 gulftown for example, AMD will ALWAYS have competitive prices.

Now people often consider Dual GPU Technology as a "luxe" and benchmarking technology. Well no, If you bought a GTX 260 or HD 4890, Just buy another one for as low as 180 CAD (current prices) and you have the power of the new HD 5870, instead of buying it for 400$.... Crossfire is a VERY good option in long term.

Well this is pure "theoretic" talking, Anything can happen, but as much as people tried to kill AMD, it is still here, and WAY stronger that what fan boys are claiming all over the internet. If you check ANY benchmarks, a Phenom II 955 goes HEAD TO HEAD with BOTH i5 AND i7 (even i7-975 extreme)
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2009 7:46:33 PM

Since when is the M4A79T Deluxe the best gaming mobo? Umm... Son, I think you are confused or maybe just a fanboy of that specific mobo.... That was one of ASUS worst mobos when it comes to the infamous " "Hyper Transport Flood error" .... Yea you can get around it NOW, but im not impressed at all with that board.... There is no such thing as the BEST gaming board out..... there are MANY boards that are fit for any gamers need.... ohh anf BTW the Crosshair III will eat that M4A79T for breakfast when it comes to gaming.....Just FYI..... =)
October 12, 2009 7:54:10 PM

I was refering to the price, and to many RECENT benchmarks relax.
for 196$, to make it COMPETITIVE to the i5 build and with RECENT updates, that mobo IS one of the current best. I chose it because I buy only ASUS mobo's but yes you can pretty much go with the GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P for 3 more dollars.
Other then that, you will have to go with the more recent ASUS CROSSHAIR III FORMULA for 20 more dollars. But the results are the same. A marignal difference nothing else. The M4A79T Deluxe was chosen to prove the similarity of the phenom II 955 against the i5 in most review while staying competitive against the 115$ mobo's of the i5. Of course if you wait for xmas, you can get the awesome Crosshair III formula for the same price. I never claimed nowhere that the M4A79T Deluxe was the ONE AND ONLY.
And "many" mobos?? Where? the dual x16 mobo's are a very few, maybe 6-7 only.
Learn to relax "son".
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2009 8:12:15 PM

magekyou said:
I was refering to the price, and to many RECENT benchmarks relax.
for 196$, to make it COMPETITIVE to the i5 build and with RECENT updates, that mobo IS one of the current best. I chose it because I buy only ASUS mobo's but yes you can pretty much go with the GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P for 3 more dollars.
Other then that, you will have to go with the more recent ASUS CROSSHAIR III FORMULA for 20 more dollars. But the results are the same. A marignal difference nothing else. The M4A79T Deluxe was chosen to prove the similarity of the phenom II 955 against the i5 in most review while staying competitive against the 115$ mobo's of the i5. Of course if you wait for xmas, you can get the awesome Crosshair III formula for the same price. I never claimed nowhere that the M4A79T Deluxe was the ONE AND ONLY.
And "many" mobos?? Where? the dual x16 mobo's are a very few, maybe 6-7 only.
Learn to relax "son".

Im relaxed, very relaxed..... Maybe I misunderstood you since it looks like you are limited to the mobos you can purchase in your location. I was just letting you know that the M4A79T is not the best gaming board... thats all...
October 12, 2009 8:12:24 PM

Quote:
Ummm..no. All of the tests in which the boards failed were with a single GTX285.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-p55-motherbo...

Well no it FAILED in that test, but in any other test like those made by tom's on dual HD 5850, the dual x8 gives lower performances then dual x16.
And we still don't know about future gpu's maybe a bigger bottleneck woul show itself.. Ur still better going dual x16 if you consider crossfire/sli
October 12, 2009 8:14:42 PM

OvrClkr said:
Im relaxed, very relaxed..... Maybe I misunderstood you since it looks like you are limited to the mobos you can purchase in your location. I was just letting you know that the M4A79T is not the best gaming board... thats all...

ok my bad ><
Well i don't have any limitation cause i buy on internet, but i still find the crosshair III formula...pricy.
And the M4A79T Deluxe was good enough to make a comparaison to the i5.Yes using a crosshair III would be better I guess.. BUT MONEY MAN!!! MONEY DONT GROW ON TREES NO MORE HOMMIE!!
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2009 8:27:05 PM

Yea I hear ya .... Just trying to let ya know that if you are willing to spend good coin on the M4A79T Deluxe, you might as well save up a tad more and get the Crosshair III .... The M4A79T Deluxe is outdated and does not have the same OC amenities that the Crosshair III does... Plus the layout is much better......

Anyways where do you live?
October 12, 2009 8:42:23 PM

*** canada's prices... HD 5850 is 259, here its 300, THREE, EFFING, HUNDRED. -.-
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2009 3:56:49 PM

wow capacitors failing on bottom of the barrel motherboards, sounds like news to me. *sarcasm*
!