Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Recommanded settings for gigabyte Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
July 28, 2011 9:53:57 PM

hey guys was wondering with the following setup what memory timings , voltage settings and so on co u recommand, im a noob at overclocking, so help is welcome, and yes ive already read a few articles on oc am3 boards, but dint find anything that could help me with my specific board thanks,

heres my following setup, air cooled with a mugen2 rev.b cooler

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932
Power Supply: pc power and cooling 750 watt power supply
Gpu: asus HD 6870 1gb
Cpu: AMD Phenom X4 965
Mobo: Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
Ram: GSkill ECO DDR3 Ram 1.35 V 4GB
HD 1 :Kingston SSDnow V series HD 128 GB
Monitor: ASUS VW266H 25.5" Widescreen Full HD 1080P 1920x1200
HD 2 : Western Digital 1TB HD
Lite On DVDRW

anyways help would be welcomed thanks
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 6:18:15 AM

Simple just up the multi. and if you so desire up the vcore voltage...

Setting well I guess I could give you a little advice:

CPU Multiplier to x19
vcore you can set to 1.38v

That should get you a stable 3.8 GHz...NP's

Your RAM is that low voltage stuff not to sure on its OC ability
a c 239 K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 9:18:36 AM

^+ lowjack , and other setting Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 need disabled AMD C1E support , Cool n Quite, PCIE 100 and i see default mobo seem set Vdim 1.65v in the bios , and auto Voltage normal at 1.47v, both need manual setting . http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1393/4/

i suggest to do OC must STEP by STEP for safely
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 4:30:39 PM

What is your RAMs speed?

If it is 1600MHz, raise the system clock to 240MHz, and drop your memory divider from 800 to 667 (6.67x240MHz=1600) - your RAMs will be running stock spec.

Raise your NB volts to 1.2v. Your IMC/NB will now be running 2400MHz at the stock x10 multiplier. You should be able to raise the NB multiplier to at least x11 but don't do it just quite yet.

Do not leave your CPU volts on Auto. I would suggest raising it in +0.0125v increments as you work with your CPU multiplier. You may initially raise it +0.25v to +0.375v if you are 'serious' about this over-clock.

At first, set the CPU multiplier at 15x. With the system clock at 240MHz you will be running 3.6GHz. Check your temps and system volts while running the AOD stability test.

When comfortable, continue working the CPU multiplier upward and running the stability test. When you 'hang' boost the CPU volts +0.125v and test again.

Hopefully, you will hit 17x240MHz at 1.4125v at 55c or so. If your temps and volts are less, thank your lucky stars for having a sweet chip, and keep raising the CPU multiplier in .5 increments.

Snagging a second fan for your cooler for a push-pull config may help keep your temps and volts down, and allow a touch higher over-clock.

a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 6:53:00 PM

@wisecracker -->3.4 GHz is stock settings on that chip which is a x17 multi...he shouldn't have to even touch the FSB or RAM settings....hence he has a black edition chip i.e. unlocked multi.. BTW..Stock voltage at 3.4 GHz is 1.35v...at 1.4v that chip with hit 3.8 GHz stable@x19 multi......at 1.42-1.45v he should be able to hit 200x20 --->4.0 GHz...4.2 GHz@1.47-1.52v will depend on his chip and board and how far he wants to push it....that board and chip is more than capable for OCing....Oh yeah like henydiah said disable CnQ, and C1E....And Change your Windows power option to High Performance
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 8:49:57 PM

You are putting all the stress on the CPU when all you use is the multiplier.

That GB FX motherboard is capable of easily running a system clock beyond 300MHz and the OP should take advantage of that by running a piddling 240MHz with the side benefit of reduced CPU volts and lower temps.

Reduced CPU volts and lower temps provide a bigger envelop for the over-clock, and if the OP keeps his CPU multiplier at 17x240MHz (or less) he may still run C&Q.

a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 8:59:51 PM

Wisecracker said:
You are putting all the stress on the CPU when all you use is the multiplier.

That GB FX motherboard is capable of easily running a system clock beyond 300MHz and the OP should take advantage of that by running a piddling 240MHz with the side benefit of reduced CPU volts and lower temps.

Reduced CPU volts and lower temps provide a bigger envelop for the over-clock, and if the OP keeps his CPU multiplier at 17x240MHz (or less) he may still run C&Q.

FSB OCing on a BE processor is entirely idiotic...when you change the FSB your changing everything...which means fooling with underclocking memory and NB, HT.....Whereas that just adjusting CPU multi. will allow for memory to left at top clocks and timings...as well as allowing for turning up the NB, and HT to there max clocks...the NB is essentially the Mem. Controller it will boost performance all around...The temp. thing you speak of is not true...he will have to up the volts on the CPU with increasing clockspeed whether it be FSB OCing or Multi. OCing...So, yeah....don't get where your going with that.
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2011 12:38:54 AM

Best answer selected by iceclock.
!