I think this is my thread?

noobie_32

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
To start i just wanna say i have no idea.

with that said, i am looking to upgrade *haha* my cpu/memory. i'm running an intel 975xbx2 board. i'm lookin to run this processor...Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor i think. and i wanna possibly try to run ddr3? ram. again i think* so my question is: can i run this with my current mobo or am i up a creek? time for a new one?

Solution
If you can afford a new system, you can certainly justify it since your current system is 7+ years old - that's 49 in dog years, you know. I've been building intel cpu systems for a long time, but others prefer AMD. I'd advise to read the various reviews, including here to find the price/performance you can comfortably afford. I think I would decide on the GPU first, then the CPU, then the motherboard, the RAM (use the board's QVL), HDD(s), DVD/RW, and then use the notional build power requirements to select a PSU. Don't forget an after-market GPU heatsink and fan.

noobie_32

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
yeah i think it'll even do the quad cores but i'm lost mostly on the ram. the board itself is discontinued and i'm thinkin the ram speed? in mhz is like maxed way below the processors bus?

sorry i'm so lost i'd like to match the speed of the bus of the processor to the ram to even out for bottle neck. thx

so some thinking happened and do you think i'd be better off goin with amd? i mean price wise and my stuff is all like 7+ years old cept for the mobo, its like least 2 yrs old. i dunno i'm lookin for good price and performance and to kinda be up with the times....(video games don't tell my woman!)

If you can afford a new system, you can certainly justify it since your current system is 7+ years old - that's 49 in dog years, you know. I've been building intel cpu systems for a long time, but others prefer AMD. I'd advise to read the various reviews, including here to find the price/performance you can comfortably afford. I think I would decide on the GPU first, then the CPU, then the motherboard, the RAM (use the board's QVL), HDD(s), DVD/RW, and then use the notional build power requirements to select a PSU. Don't forget an after-market GPU heatsink and fan.

Solution