Hard Disk Fail

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
My 2 years old Hard Disk failed me two days ago, I wanted to save some important data in it, but to no avail. I gave me some Index Problem. I let chkdsk scan through it and hoped it will be ok, but, well...I think it got worst.

My friend suggested me to use HDDRegen to somehow try regenerate my hard disk, but it's been 2 days now and still counting. Anyone knows a good method to try to get some data back, if not repair it.

My hard disk model is WD 1TB Caviar Green. I'll update with pictures of the error once I can get my memory card reader working.

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
There are a 100 ways a hard drive can fail. And running CHKDSK will almost certainly make it worse. Not your fault as everyone is told to run chkdsk if they have a problem but chkdsk does default to removing the directory entries if it doesnt know what to do. Not a good thing.

You should have a bunch(?) of FILECHK.000 type of entries now? Maybe, maybe not...

Regenerating a drive is next to impossible - sorry...best you can do is attempt to recover important files.

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Hm... I did not see any of the .000 type file, but using the HDDRegen on my other old hard disk did show some promising result. If regenerating a drive is impossible is there a way to recover files?

FreeDataRecovery

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Try to clone your failing drive onto a new good drive and recover your data from the cloned imaged. But it's a long involved process for a do-it-yourselfer.

One of the better tools for this is R-Studio... http://www.r-tt.com/

brianb23

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
If you can hook it up as a secondary drive on a system, you may be able to get to the directory structure if it's still readable and just copy them to the working drive. I've done that for a # of people in the past when the drives failed to boot. I have an external USB hookup that will take IDE, SATA 2.5 or 3.5 inch drives. Works great!!

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Apparently the program does works. After a week of scanning that is.

Most of my data is saved, I could say around 70% is saved. The other 30% is my games, luckily I have the CD and Steam.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mods can close the thread if needed. Problem solved. Kinda.

FreeDataRecovery

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Glad you were able to get most of your data. Taking a week is not uncommon but I usually get better than a 95% data recovery rate. Sounds like your drive may have been heavily damaged or perhaps you terminated the recovery process too soon.

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
I don't have space to put all the games, so I just take the ones that I haven't finished. I'm surprised to see how the HDD is recovered. Going to RMA the HDD and get and replacement and buy a new one.