'PhotoShop' system budget?

Charlie46227

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: by end of July
BUDGET RANGE: < $750 (if possible)
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: photo manipulation.
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: no preference
PARTS PREFERENCES: no preference
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 'old' eyes but need decent monitor for photo work.
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Need best value, but not sure if budget is at all realistic. Basically, I'm tired of Photoshop hanging up when trying to correct 100 MB images or when resizing images. Currently I must keep the photo size too low and of course that drastically affects my results. I don't need latest greatest, as this is just a hobby, but a serious hobby at that. Total noob at building a system, but have wanted to for years. Most I've ever done is swap out memory, changed video cards... you know, the easy stuff. TIA for any suggestions.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
$750 on a photoshop build?

up it to $1200 and you can get a nice i7 build with 12GB of ram. but that would be without the monitor so add an extra $200 for a monitor.

It would be a far higher price but you'd get a nice 24" monitor and it would perform very well in photoshop.

Charlie46227

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Monitor not included , ok. Having said that, I'm not so much looking for top performance, just a build that would not necessitate me leaving the desk while it crunches away. PS has been around for years, so there has to be a value system build that utilizes something other than i7, no? Not meaning to be argumentative, just trying to see get by.

G

basically, a $750 rig isn't going to get you much but it sounds like it will be better than what you have now. don't worry about a fancy graphics card, spend your money on psu and ram.

Charlie46227

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Thanks. I've not kept up on anything and so I thought I'd try to get some help here. The other option was for me to just buy one 'off the shelf'. So, keeping in mind that I do absolutely no gaming (I know, I know...) would anyone care to 'build' a parts list for two systems: One for about $1200 and another for $750 (+/-) ? Working in PS, how much real time delay (minutes, seconds?) will I notice between them? I really want to keep the cost down, but it sounds like I may be foolish in trying to do so. ANY new system would be better than I have now (my main computer is gone and I'm working on a three year old $400 laptop with very little RAM !)

daship

Distinguished
Im selling my i7 920 oc to 3.2 with 6G ddr3 1333 ram 640 WD HDD 650 watt antec PSU DvD burner ati 4870 starting on monday. Starting bid is $650.

Also got a PC/Mac going up for sale as well with e5200@3.5 4G DDR2 800 150G HDD Nvidia 7300GT. Has Mac osx 10.5.7 on it and windows 7 RC1. Starting bid $500.

Send me a private message if you want to know more r see pics/videos.