Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 and Crucial C300's

Last response: in Storage
April 6, 2011 7:51:28 PM

So I'm putting together a gaming rig and I decided to get a 128GB Crucial C300 cuz NewEgg had a nice rebate on it.

Looking at my current XP system, I see that my C: drive is using upwards of 300GB of file space right now. It's mostly my Steam games.

It is my desire with my new rig to have my Steam games on the SSD, obviously with only a 128GB SSD I will have to pick and choose which games I wish to download to this drive.

So it got me to thinking, hey, why not order another C300 and run them in a Raid 0, giving me alot more breathing room for my Steam games.

I gues my main question is what kind of issues will I run into by Raid0'ing these drives? Is it ok to do? Not recommended? What?

What's this thing called TRIM and is that affected by raid 0?

More about : raid crucial c300

April 6, 2011 8:58:21 PM

Running 2x C300 in RAID 0 will work just fine!

You will however loose the TRIM ability (Win7 needed for TRIM).

TRIM is a program which cleans up unused data on the SSD drive, so that when you write something to your SSD, the SSD doesnt need to delete the content in the datablock before writing to it, because TRIM has already cleaned the datablock. This means that you will keep the performance of the disk in tip top shape. (The SSD gets slower for everytime you write too it unless you have TRIM/GC).

The C300 does however have a native garbage collection system which cleans the disk without the help of TRIM. This works very well, tho the TRIM makes this process even better.

Go for RAID 0 if you need more space. =)
m
l
April 6, 2011 10:17:32 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I've been reading some other posts on this forum and there appears to be issues with the SATA3 ports, and that maybe I should plug these Sata3 drives into the SATA2 ports of my motherboard.

My MB will be an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe and here is what it has:

Intel® P67 Express Chipset
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports
(gray)
4 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (blue)
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

Marvell® PCIe 9128 SATA 6Gb/s controller with HyperDuo function*
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue)
JMicron® JMB362 SATA controller*
2 xExternal SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (1 x Power eSATA)
* These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

If I get another C300 for Raid 0, which SATA ports will be my best option?

m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2011 10:29:56 PM

This decision is kind of hard actually.

The marvell controller gives the drive better seq read/write speeds because its 6Gbits. The marvell controller is however not as good on small random read/write operations, and the Intel controller is the clear winner here in that regard.

4k random read/write is way more important than seq read/write, so I would actually put these drives in the 3Gbit intel controller.

Or, you should try both, bench them, post the screens here, and then decide whitch controller you want to use! =)
m
l
April 7, 2011 2:43:24 AM

I thought Raid 0 does not increase your HDD space...simply increases speed only.

2x 128gb SSDs in RAID0 = still just 128gb no?
m
l
April 7, 2011 8:06:31 AM

RAIDO 0 just divide the stripes between the disk, so you will get the same storage space, as if you were going all singel SSDs!

2x 128gb in RAID 0 = 256gb
m
l
a b G Storage
April 7, 2011 7:19:21 PM

TRIM commands are not supposed to be passed in RAID mode on SSDs, from what I've read. However, I have two 128GB C300 drives in RAID-0 (256GB capacity) and through a couple CMD commands I was able to confirm that TRIM was enabled. Not sure if that was a fluke or not, but hey, whatever :) 

I've been reading also that the Marvel SATA3 controller does not work with SSDs in RAID-0. It regularly drops at least one drive from the RAID array, and also stutters and freezes. Most users end up going back to the ICHR10 controller for stability. That may be only with the Marvel controller on the Gigabyte boards though, I can't confirm that.

With SATA2, you should get between 530 and 575mb/s streaming 512k reads with two drives, which is simply sexy.
m
l
!