Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Good Overclocking CPU Temps...

Last response: in Overclocking
July 29, 2011 3:16:56 AM

Hi,

I'm new to overclocking and I want to know what are safe overclocking temperatures for both idle and load. I am using Corsair H50 Liquid Cooling System + AMD Phenom X4 955 3.2 GHZ (STOCK). I want to overclock from 3.2 GHZ to eventually 4.0 GHZ. So far I overclocked to 3.5 GHZ and the temps are...IDLE: ~36-39C....LOAD: ~50-52C.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 3:34:14 AM

Maximum temp on that CPU is 62c...My H50 set-up with two 120mm fans push/pull..at 4.0 GHz@1.475v reached 51c @ 100 % load...If you don't have an extra fan I would expect to see with the above settings at 100% to be around 56c-59c...BTW.. On the H50 and H70 coolers which mount the same....make sure that all of the screws are tight and that the pump housing is turned into the retention plate properly
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2011 3:38:59 AM

Take a look at this thread. Though the article explains without liquid cooling, you can still definitely use it as a guideline.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 3:51:44 AM

What brings such a decorated character to this neck of the woods...@calmstateofmind

What no CCIE cert.? J/K yanking your chain.....

That article is bogus...my 965 has never crashed due to a temp of 59c...hell I have seen 81c due to my H60 pump not being properly connected..didn't crash...I just shut her down let it cool off a bit then plugged the pump in...all is fine....Granted temps will crash you out and mess up your equipment...That article holds no water
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 3:52:43 AM

I bet thay had it set in HW monitor in BIOS to shutdown at that temp...or something hell every CPU I have encountered which is quite a few have no problem operating at 60-62c contiuosly due my friends all wanting to put their computers in the stupid little enclosed computer desk
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2011 4:03:40 AM

lowjack989 said:
What brings such a decorated character to this neck of the woods...@calmstateofmind

What no CCIE cert.? J/K yanking your chain.....

Hah, I wouldn't say I'm that decorated...I just got my CompTIA certs all within the same year (which really wasn't bad since most of the material is entry level content), then another year for the other two. But yeah, I don't think I'm ready to shell out $2000+ for the CCIE, just yet; and that's if I pass the first time. :??:  :p 

lowjack989 said:
I bet that had it set in HW monitor in BIOS to shutdown at that temp

Yeah, they probably didn't want to push the CPU too much during testing, seeing as anything past 60-65c isn't desirable anyhow.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 4:29:23 AM

Yeah I hear ya...that CCIE is no joke...didn't realize it cost $2000+.....I am currently getting ready for the CompTIA test are they that hard...What would you suggest I do to study up on the Net+, and Security+?....I got the A+ wrapped up
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2011 4:48:02 AM

lowjack989 said:
Yeah I hear ya...that CCIE is no joke...didn't realize it cost $2000+.....I am currently getting ready for the CompTIA test are they that hard...What would you suggest I do to study up on the Net+, and Security+?....I got the A+ wrapped up

Yeah, I actually looked into it last year when I was looking at different pathways of certs and what the offered down the road. It's like $500 for the written and then $1500 for the lab exam; that's also excluding traveling costs if you don't live near a testing center.

As for which to take first, I did the A+, Net+ then Sec+ (in that order). A+ and Net+ are pretty easy, a lot easier than you'd think, actually. Sec+ actually required my attention, since most of the material isn't as mainstream in comparison to the A/Net+.

And for study material, for the A+ I read CompTIA A+ (the one with the lighthouse and a red banner on the cover), for Net+ I read CompTIA Network+ by Glen Clarke and also watched CBT Nuggets videos (went through them twice). For Sec+, I also watched CBT videos and read CompTIA Security+ by Emett somebody.

I also bought - the other study material I, uh, torrented :whistle:  - the smaller practice test booklets that are full of questions with detailed explanations for each answer. They only run about $30, and are well worth the price. I actually almost learned more from the question book than I did the real books. Lol.

Just get a solid book, go through it with a highlighter, review the content on a regular basis, and then get those small question books for recap and reassurance. I went through the question books until I scored a 90% or higher on each chapter/category. After all that, you either know it or you don't!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 4:56:26 AM

Thanks for that info...very much appreciated...OP sorry for highjacking the thread with my question...I just stole your text calm....lol...a little copy and paste
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2011 5:00:12 AM

lowjack989 said:
Thanks for that info...very much appreciated...

Anytime! :D 
m
l
July 29, 2011 9:51:07 PM

Thanks for the quick replies =D. Umm..I just started overclocking and I want to overclock my AMD Phenom X4 955 to around 4.0 GHZ. Only question is what Core Voltage should I use? What is the maximum safest core voltage that you can use?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 10:18:56 PM

Maximum rated is 1.55v.....maximum safe is relative as to what you perceive as safe....My maximum safe 24/7 speed and voltage on my 965 BE is 4.0 GHz@1.464v...I suggest not to exceed 1.525v ...4.0 GHz for my set-up is stable at 1.464v you may have to put it up to as high as 1.488-1.5v to get your stable....

DANGER: USE CAUTION WHEN USING VOLTAGE INCREASES ALL SET-UPS ARE NOT THE SAME AND RESULTS MAY VARY....WATCH THOSE TEMPS.....
July 29, 2011 11:06:45 PM

lowjack989 said:
Maximum rated is 1.55v.....maximum safe is relative as to what you perceive as safe....My maximum safe 24/7 speed and voltage on my 965 BE is 4.0 GHz@1.464v...I suggest not to exceed 1.525v ...4.0 GHz for my set-up is stable at 1.464v you may have to put it up to as high as 1.488-1.5v to get your stable....

DANGER: USE CAUTION WHEN USING VOLTAGE INCREASES ALL SET-UPS ARE NOT THE SAME AND RESULTS MAY VARY....WATCH THOSE TEMPS.....

Ok thanks, but my MSI motherboard says that above 1.4V is danger...and the voltage number becomes red, so im kind of afraid to overvolt to 1.488..so is temperature the only issue? Also, whenever I try to overclock to above 3.7 GHZ with voltage at 1.376 my computer always starts restarting randomnly whenever i boot. Is this because my Voltage is too low? Please help, Thanks =D!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 11:10:59 PM

yes the voltage is to low with that reboot loop.....Well at 1.4v you should be able to at least get 3.8 GHz stable......19x multi.
m
l
July 29, 2011 11:38:49 PM

YES! That is exactly what I did right now and its stable @3.8 with 1.408 V. I tried 4.0 GHZ with 1.495 and it wasn't stable =(. What voltage setting should I use to overclock to 4.0 GHZ. Oh and btw, my temps. for 3.8 GHZ and 1.408 V is around 58C FULL LOAD. If I overclock to 4.0 GHZ with a high voltage will I get above 60C, because I heard the maximum temperature for my CPU is 63C, and I want to keep my distance from that temp. for safety just in case the room temperature rises.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2011 1:26:42 AM

Well for my set-up: 1.464v was stable @ 4.0 Ghz.....max operating temp of the chip is 62c......58c is unacceptable at 3.8@1.408v......Is your H50 set as intake or exhaust?....Is the flow of your case fans all in the same direction as the radiators airflow?.....One or two fans on the H50? Try 3.9 GHz instead of 4.0 GHz since it was unstable at 1.5v@4.0GHz
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 241 K Overclocking
July 30, 2011 2:09:56 AM

Whatever the voltage, try starting from the smallest to get a high frequency and stable, if not with the low voltage it is raised a little, the smaller the greater the voltage will get a high OC, sorry just adding the principles of overclocking, and follow the advise from jack
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 30, 2011 2:24:27 AM

xerb--->You may have to reseat the pump? If you, already are in push/pull intake through the Radiator and Exhausting out the front of the case...then the reseat is the next option..your highest temp shouldn't be more than 28c above ambient under 100% load at 1.48-1.5v.....Now if your room temp is 30c then your at the norm...when cooling ambient temp makes all the difference..and linear airflow
m
l
August 6, 2011 4:03:12 AM

Best answer selected by xerb.
m
l
!