Questions on cards, connecting to 32" LCD 1080P HD TV

fatmark801

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I was building a computer and I was curious if a Mid-end card such as the GTS 250 would be suffiecient graphic wise to connect to a Samsung 32" LCD 1080P Hd TV for a monitor? Or would I be better off going with the high-end GTX 260? Would I be better off going with a ATI card from a gaming perspective?

I will be doing gaming, mostly low end graphics because the RPG I play is a web based java game. But I do like more graphically advanced games such as Crysis and Farcry if I felt like getting into them. I just want to make sure I will be getting an immaculate picture no matter what the task. I do lots of multi-tasking, listening to music, surfing the internet, etc, which is why I was thinking of going with 8GB's of ram, if its too much let me know, I would have gone with just 6GB's but I'll lose the dual-channel features if I'm only using 3 sticks...

I was thinking about buying a HP Pavilion Elite e9105z series I customized online, here are some of the specs, tell me what you think or if you got a suggestion on a different processor, etc, please tell me. Here is is:
-Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
-AMD Phenom(TM) II X4 920 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 2MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MT/s]
-8GB DDR2-800MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
-640GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
-1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
-LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
-Wireless-N LAN card
-15-in-1 memory card reader, 1394
-Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
-2-year HP House Call Extended Service Plan
All for around $1,099.98

If you got suggestions on somewhere else to get a better or cheaper comperable system let me know, the only problem with going through HP is they do not offer the GTX260, I would have to upgrade myself of go elsewhere to get a computer with the card.

Thanks, Mark

litex

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
To me that's a fair price, compared to what else is out there. BUT on the other hand you could build the same PC on your own for about half that price.

Also, i'd go for 4GB or 6GB of DDR3 ram running at better clock speeds rather than the 8GB DDR2 you have listed there.

The video card is barely ok for that screen size, but again if you build your own PC you can afford to get a much better one. Also you should consider waiting for the new DX11 cards to come out in (probably) october. Even if you don't plan to play dx11 games, you'll still benefit because the prices on the dx10.1 cards will drop a bit.

litex

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Yes, but do wait to see what other say, since there's many people with more knowledge than me on these forums.

But yeah imo that card is fine for a 21" screen or something but 32" might be too much(especially if you do try to play crysis) .

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
For a 32" and gaming, I would look into a 4890 or 4870x2 and in the nvidia camp, I would choose either a gtx 275 or better. I don't think a GTS anything would cut it.
All of this is dependent on the PSU you obtain to power your system and your budget.

I haven't bought a custom machine in decades, but the major draw back occurs while trying to upgrade. The machine either can't fit a newer better card or the bios on the mother board wouldn't allow over clocking.

carickw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
for an "immaculate picture" a GTS 250 will not suffice on a 32" @ 1920x1080. I get about 90 fps in COD4/5 @ 1920x1200 on a 26" with a GTX 260. For more graphic intensive games you will definitely want a 4890 or 275 (depending on SLI/Crossfire on your mobo and your brand preference).