Why is my Cpu underclocked ?

xypro86

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Okay my CPU is a T6400 Core 2 Duo clocked a 2.0GHz per core from intels specs but i thought i would try CPU ID to check out my full system specs and it was showing my multiplier is at x6 not x10 but my bus speed is still a 200mhz so what do i do.I cant change my multiplier through my BIOS so what do i do

T6400 specs

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SLGJ4.html

Can you guys please help me please.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Yep what he said.

CPU slows down when you're not using it to save power. Once you actually give it something to do, it goes back to the higher multiplier. This has positive benefits only, and should only ever be disabled if it causes instability (which it hasn't for me) on big overclocks.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
There is no point keeping the multiplier at 10x, unless your goal is to reduce battery life and increase heat output. It only drops to 6x when you don't need it.

I let my overclocked machine at home do this as well. On a laptop it's very useful, because it will allow your battery to run for longer and it wont heat up as much when you're doing something simple like writing in MS Word. It'll also run cooler, and extend the life of the processor.

I wouldn't overclock a laptop due to heat reasons, and HP wont have overclocking in their BIOS. If you're keen to do some overclocking, you'll really need a desktop PC.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Call HP to confirm it'll work on your machine, and I'd recommend getting a tech to install it.

It'll give you around a 25% performance increase as far as CPU stuff goes. I personally wouldn't bother, but if you're keen enough, can't see why it'd be a problem. Both chips have the same FSB, seems to be the same socket, just a higher multiplier.