Sign in with
Your question

BSOD - RAM or CPU?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 29, 2011 4:51:21 AM

Hi all,

I recently successfully OCed my 2600k to 4.5ghz at 1.36v; ran Prime95 for stability test. My memory is running on XMP 1600mhz 16gb. Also I have an SSD that all apps and Windows runs off and a RAID for storage. There is no Windows page file.

My problem is that I was working on a Photoshop project for a while, went to save which it appeared to ok, then the system froze; not completely I still had access to Windows. Soon though I got a BSOD regarding CPU interrupts.

My questions for those in the know are:

1. Do you think that the BSOD is from the CPU or RAM?
2. Could it be because I have disabled the page file?
3. If it was the RAM wouldn't it dump the memory?

My specs are:

16gb Vengeance 1600mhz C8
Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3

More about : bsod ram cpu

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 5:15:07 AM

Have you tested that OC for stability via stress testing? I believe it is for sure the OCed CPU, IMHO..Hmmm...not a BSOD on program feeze....Page file wouldn't matter since you have 16GB of RAM...Maybe a bad registry entry....try Glary Utilities it couldn't hurt and its free....Just google glary utility
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2011 3:51:03 PM

rainwilds said:
Hi all,

I recently successfully OCed my 2600k to 4.5ghz at 1.36v; ran Prime95 for stability test. My memory is running on XMP 1600mhz 16gb. Also I have an SSD that all apps and Windows runs off and a RAID for storage. There is no Windows page file.

My problem is that I was working on a Photoshop project for a while, went to save which it appeared to ok, then the system froze; not completely I still had access to Windows. Soon though I got a BSOD regarding CPU interrupts.

My questions for those in the know are:

1. Do you think that the BSOD is from the CPU or RAM?
2. Could it be because I have disabled the page file?
3. If it was the RAM wouldn't it dump the memory?

My specs are:

16gb Vengeance 1600mhz C8
Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3

Where would the PC dump the memory if you don't have a page file? That's one of the reasons for having a page file in the first place.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 7:02:35 PM

16 GB of memory doesn't require a page file...unless he is just running some super intensive app
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2011 7:12:20 PM

I thought that when Windows crashes, it saves a memory dump to the page file, for troubleshooting and such...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 7:15:30 PM

that would be event viewer...under computer management...I just got Windows 7 certified last week...Trust me. To get to your troubleshooter i.e. event viewer....Type Computer Management in your Start menu --->select the Computer management icon in the display window--->click event viewer tab--->custom views-->Administrative Events....viola you can customize the view so you can see the errors, and criticals....You can even log session through it....BTW performance monitor can work as a good all around system monitor and log keeper of a lot of things as well that can help in troubleshooting error codes
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 7:19:56 PM

Page File acts as virtual memory...just in case you run out of RAM space while running programs and processes.....16 GB wouldn't require this due to the large quanity of available memory
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 29, 2011 7:22:56 PM

I run no page file at all...on 8 GB's
m
l
a c 138 à CPUs
a c 241 K Overclocking
July 30, 2011 1:48:25 AM

my assume it's corruption installation an , in evertime i use photoshop use VGA OB no problem, he he my Photoshop CS is all used portable CS3/CS4 ... :D 
i set in preference --- general setting --- performance :
set memory at 50%
scratch disk set at Big size HDD
OpenGL checkbox ( i use VGA OB atuo disabled )

wow .... it's fast when open file PSD more than 100MB
m
l
!