BSOD - RAM or CPU?

rainwilds

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hi all,

I recently successfully OCed my 2600k to 4.5ghz at 1.36v; ran Prime95 for stability test. My memory is running on XMP 1600mhz 16gb. Also I have an SSD that all apps and Windows runs off and a RAID for storage. There is no Windows page file.

My problem is that I was working on a Photoshop project for a while, went to save which it appeared to ok, then the system froze; not completely I still had access to Windows. Soon though I got a BSOD regarding CPU interrupts.

My questions for those in the know are:

1. Do you think that the BSOD is from the CPU or RAM?
2. Could it be because I have disabled the page file?
3. If it was the RAM wouldn't it dump the memory?

My specs are:

16gb Vengeance 1600mhz C8
Gigabyte P67-UD4-B3

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Have you tested that OC for stability via stress testing? I believe it is for sure the OCed CPU, IMHO..Hmmm...not a BSOD on program feeze....Page file wouldn't matter since you have 16GB of RAM...Maybe a bad registry entry....try Glary Utilities it couldn't hurt and its free....Just google glary utility

Where would the PC dump the memory if you don't have a page file? That's one of the reasons for having a page file in the first place.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
that would be event viewer...under computer management...I just got Windows 7 certified last week...Trust me. To get to your troubleshooter i.e. event viewer....Type Computer Management in your Start menu --->select the Computer management icon in the display window--->click event viewer tab--->custom views-->Administrative Events....viola you can customize the view so you can see the errors, and criticals....You can even log session through it....BTW performance monitor can work as a good all around system monitor and log keeper of a lot of things as well that can help in troubleshooting error codes