Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sys File Repair

Last response: in Windows XP
December 20, 2011 3:54:43 AM

Hi- I need to repair my System Files. I am running XP Pro SP3 x86. What I am trying to do is make a bootable CD from my Genuine Windows XP Pro SP2 disk and slipstream SP3 to it, so I can run the Repair. I have never done this before, and I am with the understanding that in order to accomplish the task there must be an i386 folder in C:\. Here is what is confusing me- I do not have said folder directly in C:\, but it is contained in a folder named '403971ec4f6071759b'. This folder has 2 files: amd64 and i386, and they both contain the identical data. I do not know how this happened.
Here is an example of the structure: C:\403971ec4f6071759b\amd64 and C:\403971ec4f6071759b\i386.
What I need to end up with is: C:\i386 So, my thinking is to delete the '403971ec4f6071759b' and the 'amd64', I could conceivably wind up with C:\i386.
To be honest, I am not sure that the data within the i386 file is what is supposed to be there.
All of this has happened as a result of an attack, and I noticed that something was definitely wrong via Event Viewer and general performance.
Could I please get some advice on this matter?
Thank you, and Merry Christmas!
tim

More about : sys file repair

December 20, 2011 4:51:56 AM

run sfc /scannow after inserting windows xp sp3 cd if you are running on sp3.
December 20, 2011 5:25:47 AM

No can do...yet!...My Genuine XP Pro hologram disk is SP2. I have added SP3 via the SP3 disk that my vendor provided. Also provided is a disk entitled XP Pro Backup Media w/SP3. I don't know if this disk is suitable to run sfc /scannow. So, I had planned on making a disk with my SP2 hologram disk and slipstream SP3 to it. I have been told that I cannot run sfc /scannow with the hologram because the machine has been upgraded to SP3. Does this make sense? As far as the slipstream op is concerned, I don't have C:\i386. Instead, I have C:\40397ec4f6071759b.
This 40397ec4f6071759b has amd64 and i386 in it. When you like at the 2 files, they have the same contents- it's just that some of the mod. dates are different. Other than that, the contents are the same. I don't know where in the hell this amd64 came from. I am not going to walk into a situation where I am forced to do a clean install. It would be a big hassle with all of the programs I have installed. I just want to make sure that my System Files are in tact per Windows intent.
Yes, I know I have to run sfc /scannow- but not until I have everything in order.
Related resources
December 20, 2011 5:35:01 AM

This article should explain where the i386 folder came from
http://ask-leo.com/can_i_burn_the_i386_folder_to_a_cd_a...

And this explains how you can use that i386 folder to make a Windows XP Installation CD.
How to Create a Windows XP CD From a I386 Folder
http://www.ehow.com/how_6660310_create-xp-cd-i386-folde...

But you would do better to Slipstream your Windows XP SP2 CD with the Service Pack 3 you can download from here.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=183302

And here are the instructions to do slipstream the Service Pack manually
Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP3
http://theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd.htm

And here is how to slipstream the Service Pack into a Windows XP CD with nLite
Slipstream Windows XP CD to Add SP3
http://geekyprojects.com/tutorials/slipstream-windows-x...
December 20, 2011 5:49:23 AM

timw128 said:
No can do...yet!...My Genuine XP Pro hologram disk is SP2. I have added SP3 via the SP3 disk that my vendor provided. Also provided is a disk entitled XP Pro Backup Media w/SP3. I don't know if this disk is suitable to run sfc /scannow. So, I had planned on making a disk with my SP2 hologram disk and slipstream SP3 to it. I have been told that I cannot run sfc /scannow with the hologram because the machine has been upgraded to SP3. Does this make sense? As far as the slipstream op is concerned, I don't have C:\i386. Instead, I have C:\40397ec4f6071759b.
This 40397ec4f6071759b has amd64 and i386 in it. When you like at the 2 files, they have the same contents- it's just that some of the mod. dates are different. Other than that, the contents are the same. I don't know where in the hell this amd64 came from. I am not going to walk into a situation where I am forced to do a clean install. It would be a big hassle with all of the programs I have installed. I just want to make sure that my System Files are in tact per Windows intent.
Yes, I know I have to run sfc /scannow- but not until I have everything in order.

The reason you can't do SFC /SCANNOW with an SP2 CD is because your 2008 to 2011 SP3 Windows XP will not accept older 2004 to 2008 SP2 versions of the same files.

If you want to do it as quick and easy as possible, download the Service Pack 3 ISO. Extract the SP3 files to a folder with Winrar, WinZip, or 7-Zip, next Copy your XP SP2 CD to another folder and use nLite to slipstream SP3 to the Windows XP SP2... nLite will make a bootable .ISO file of slipstreamed Windows XP SP3 which you can also burn with nLite to make a bootable Windows XP SP3 CD.
December 20, 2011 5:59:42 AM

Chicano said:
The reason you can't do SFC /SCANNOW with an SP2 CD is because your 2008 to 2011 SP3 Windows XP will not accept older 2004 to 2008 SP2 versions of the same files.

If you want to do it as quick and easy as possible, download the Service Pack 3 ISO. Extract the SP3 files to a folder with Winrar, WinZip, or 7-Zip, next Copy your XP SP2 CD to another folder and use nLite to slipstream SP3 to the Windows XP SP2... nLite will make a bootable .ISO file of slipstreamed Windows XP SP3 which you can also burn with nLite to make a bootable Windows XP SP3 CD.

Thank yo, Chicano!... This is my intention, however, will this solve the issue that I have with the lack of a C:/i386?... That scenario is what is bothering me. Please advise- Thanks!
tim
December 20, 2011 6:57:20 AM

Chicano- Please check out the ImageShack album below. This is my XP Pro as it came from the vendor. Notice the disk entitled Backup Media w/SP3. I am wondering if I can use this to run the sfc /scannow op. The SP3 and Backup Media disk were gratuities from my vendor. I am not sure exactly what she does, but she runs a software business that is perfectly legit. This was verified by MS, however I am not aware of them providing any CD's called Backup Media. What do you think?

http://imageshack.us/g/214/dscf1012y.jpg/
December 20, 2011 7:06:30 AM

Yes it will... the i386 folder is left there by the person that installed the System for the System to repair itself when necessary, instead of using a CD. They can leave the files in any location where SFC /SCANNOW should read from with a simple Registry edition in the key;

and sfc /scannow should work with a simple registry edition in the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
"SourcePath"=""
"ServicePackSourcePath"=""

The data in the values SourcePath and ServicePackSourcePath should be the CD/DVD drive letter that Windows was installed from, so if the CD/DVD drive letter has changed, SFC may have trouble reading the CD.. and it can be solved by changing the drive letter in the registry values to the letter used today, and the same goes for a folder.

So changing the data in the values “SourcePath” and “ServicePackSourcePath” from “X:\” (X representing the CD drive XP was installed from) to “C:\403971ec4f6071759b\i386" should make SFC copy files from that folder instead of copying them from a CD/DVD drive.

So then, you would have to edit the registry from this:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
"SourcePath"="X:\"
"ServicePackSourcePath"="X:\"

To this:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
"SourcePath"="C:\403971ec4f6071759b\i386"
"ServicePackSourcePath"="C:\403971ec4f6071759b\i386"
December 20, 2011 7:42:15 AM

Hmmm... You have lost me a bit here. I understand the Registry Keys, etc.. Your response, 'Yes it will' is with regard to the Backup Media disk being used for the sfc /scannow?... I installed this OS on the machine, not the OEM source. I have 2 optical drives- D:/ and E:/. However, the OS resides on C:/, which obviously is my HDD.
Here is the way the Registry looks now:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
SourcePath= D:\
ServicePackSourcePath= c:\windows\ServicePackFiles
also,
ServicePackCachePath= c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\ServicePackCache

So, with that stated, please note the Drive Letter and the alpha case issue (upper vs. lower case)
As mentioned earlier, their is another file in the '403971ec4f6071759b' directory, being amd64. Highly unusual, as to the coincidence- amd64 being a relic chip. There never has been anything amd in this machine. I am going to surmise that this occurred when I was hacked, jacked, and spyed on.
I am not sure, without thought, as what to do about the Drive Letter issue. I do not want to mess with the Reg. until this is thought out. :o 

Here is what My Computer looks like- Notice the source drive is designated as C:\ :

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/hddm.png/

Chicano, I am very grateful for all your help!...Thanks!
tim
December 20, 2011 8:13:38 AM

timw128 said:
Chicano- Please check out the ImageShack album below. This is my XP Pro as it came from the vendor. Notice the disk entitled Backup Media w/SP3. I am wondering if I can use this to run the sfc /scannow op. The SP3 and Backup Media disk were gratuities from my vendor. I am not sure exactly what she does, but she runs a software business that is perfectly legit. This was verified by MS, however I am not aware of them providing any CD's called Backup Media. What do you think?

The blue CD is the Service Pack 3 Update only.
The gray CD Backup Media is apparently a Windows XP Professional with the Service Pack 3 integrated… and from the looks of it; date and description it may be a perfectly legal product. I can’t make out the hologram but there are different CD labels sold by computer businesses. The “Backup Media” tittle is probably just another name for Recovery Disk.

The gray CD Backup Media looks like a OEM edition used by computer builders and vendors as far as I can tell... I cant make out the hollogram and never seen a gray CD but I have seen labels in different colors sold by computer businesses (check photos). The one in one photo has chinese print and there may be labels in many languages and label colors, so a gray label doesn’t surprise me.

If your vendor runs a software business she may have a licence from Microsoft to work just as big computer builders do. As far as I know, they can make their own copies, labels and add their own programs such as Dell and Toshiba do and probably many more.

Blue XP CD
Windows XP CD Covers

If the gray CD measures around 600 MB it’s probably a complete Installation CD you can use to do a Repair Re-Installation, do a clean installation or use it with SFC Scannow.
December 20, 2011 8:22:34 AM

Well, the gray is actually white- it's my 7MP Fuji relic that distorts things, and it's time for an upgrade! Chinese?...hmmm!, I don't see it. The hologram is the original XP Pro x86 SP2- can't find any Chinese- think it is just light reflecting off that hologram.

Anyway, if I just go ahead and run the Backup Media w/SP3 disk in sfc /scannow, will that straighten out the discrepancies in the Registry and clean up the amd64/i386 issue?
December 20, 2011 8:25:29 AM

Backup Media disk is 617MB and some change.
December 20, 2011 8:30:19 AM

Your folders: C:\403971ec4f6071759b\amd64 and C:\403971ec4f6071759b\i386. were not planted there from any malicious occurrence, unless you consider .Net Framework malicious, because that is where they came from.

Run scannow using your SP2 install disk but be prepared to swap disks often as the SP3 CD will be asked for often, but not always. If the SP3 files are able to be found by scannow, they will work. It's just a lot more work on your part. However... You have 2 CD drives so...

Before you start, check the registry to validate the ServicePackSourcePath was indeed a CD drive and not a folder where they were downloaded to. Since you have two CD drives you can direct the source files in the registry for the install to one, and the source files of SP3 to the other and have both disks in the correct drives before starting scannow and you shouldn't get bothered by the "where's the disk" type problems. Make sure there isn't any extra path errors on the SP3 CD, such as having the files in a folder scannow doesn't know about.
December 20, 2011 9:05:18 AM

Hey tigsounds!...How's that dead cat doin'?...lol...

'check the registry to validate the ServicePackSourcePath was indeed a CD drive...', well, it isn't a CD drive- it did illustrate 'c:', lower case 'c'. Besides, why don't I just use my Backup Media w/SP3 disk? If I provided you some screen shot links, would that give you a better feel?
Hope all's well with you. You still in S.A.?
December 20, 2011 9:27:30 AM

Yes my response "yes it will" was responding to this part:
timw128 said:
Thank yo, Chicano!... This is my intention, however, will this solve the issue that I have with the lack of a C:/i386?...

This is just to clear things up on the Drive letter and i386 folder location for an SFC Scan... but you may not need to edit the registry after all... the Backup Media CD may be all you need,.. if you installed the OS from that (Backup Media) CD, you don't need the i386 folder in the C drive (C:\403971ec4f6071759b\i386???)

So for example: If you want to do a SFC /SCANNOW from the i386 folder location, the registry values should go as:
SourcePath= C:\403971ec4f6071759b\i386(???)

And if you want to do the SFC Scan from the CD (Backup Media).. then edit the registry as follows or leave it as it is or leave it be if you haven't edited it yet:
SourcePath= D:\
ServicePackSourcePath= ignore this one...
The data location for the "ServicPackSourcePath" value should not matter... it must be the drive where the SP3 CD was installed from so it's not related to an SFC scan or a repair installation

The folder in:: C:\403971ec4f6071759b\amd64 must be included in the CD that your Windows XP was installed from, it was included to supply the AMD drivers should it be installed in an AMD System.

The size of the Backup Media CD and some screenshots of the contained folders would help ID it better.

If you have any more doubts.. I'll try to clear them up.
December 20, 2011 9:41:36 AM

OK I get the CD label color... white is still one of the many colors available... if you check the images, they come in different colors. The chinese print I meant was in one of the google images I linked to.

Yes the 617 MB indicates you may have a complete Windows XP Professional SP3 Installation CD, good for a Repair Installation, a Clean Installation or a SFC Scannow (without a change necessary to the Registry). And by the looks of it, it's probably a legitimate copy.

I don't see any discrepancies in the registry, but not to worry, just do the SFC from the CD in drive D and you don't need to edit the registry. One problem though, SFC does not always fix everything... and since it doesn't report any changes when it finishes, you nevery know what it repaired... but you can probably do a Repair Installation with the Backup Media CD. Insert the CD and take some screenshots to see if all the main folders are included... by the 617MB I'm almost certain it's a complete Windows XP OS but the screenshots would make it 100%
December 20, 2011 9:44:05 AM

I installed the OS from the Genuine XP Pro SP/2 hologram disk. Then, I went ahead and ran the blue SP3 disk to upgrade. I don't know why the HKLM Source Path lists D:\ as the drive, unless it refers to the CD drive. The OS is on C:\.
Here's what the Registry looks like:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/213/hklm.png/

Take a good look at those drive letter designations. Something doesn't look right there.

Backup Media CD is approx. 617MB

So, you think it's safe to go ahead and run SFC /SCANNOW from the Backup Media CD?, that is after I change a couple of things in Folder Options.
December 20, 2011 9:44:51 AM

timw128 said:
Hey tigsounds!...How's that dead cat doin'?...lol...

'check the registry to validate the ServicePackSourcePath was indeed a CD drive...', well, it isn't a CD drive- it did illustrate 'c:', lower case 'c'. Besides, why don't I just use my Backup Media w/SP3 disk? If I provided you some screen shot links, would that give you a better feel?
Hope all's well with you. You still in S.A.?

The dead cat was stinkin up the place so I got a bunch of new ones.

Windows doesn't care about upper/lower case drive letters. Cares in passwords though.

I'm looking at your pics.... It looks like you installed XP from drive d: Good, have the original cd in drive d. It also looks like you installed a service pack from a downloaded file? and it was extracted to & ran from the sp folders in your windows folder. That indicates scannow is going to look at the install cd for files to compare that were not changed by the service pack, and it's going to look in the service pack folders for files it knows were replacements for the originals. Remember, windows has a list (Protected Resource List) of system files to compare and what they should be, their checksums and all that. That's how it detects if they are good or bad. Just try changing your TCP/IP settings using XP-Antispy and see how fast windows pops up to report some system files were changed and where they are. One thing though, I'm not on my own computer right now. This rugged old thing has XP Pro SP2 so I can't verify the files that should be in the C\windows\servicepackfiles folder. Check that out, there should be a decent size list of files, cabs and files with the 3rd character of their file extension as an underline. If not, wait and I'll be home in about 5 hours.
December 20, 2011 9:53:57 AM

Service Pack Files = 564MB in volume. 2 folders in there designated 'i386' and 'ServicePackCache'

No, I installed the SP3 from the blue SP3 disk that was included with my OS. Here's a link to what I got at point of sale:

December 20, 2011 10:05:31 AM

I don't think it's going to ask for that disk. It has what it wants in the folder and the cache folder. If all else fails, you can keep clicking "cancel" every time it stalls wanting a cd or swap cd's as needed so it will complete. Cancel doesn't really cancel, it just skips that file in the check.

I installed SP3 like you did so I'll run scannow when I get home and see how it behaves. Sort of like I'll make my machine the guinea pig. I haven't ever ran scanow so it should be informative.

All that slipstream stuff won't work because that's not how the files got there and scannow can't be fooled that easily.

December 20, 2011 10:05:38 AM

timw128 said:
I installed the OS from the Genuine XP Pro SP/2 hologram disk. Then, I went ahead and ran the blue SP3 disk to upgrade. I don't know why the HKLM Source Path lists D:\ as the drive, unless it refers to the CD drive. The OS is on C:\.
Here's what the Registry looks like:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/213/hklm.png/

Take a good look at those drive letter designations. Something doesn't look right there.

Backup Media CD is approx. 617MB

So, you think it's safe to go ahead and run SFC /SCANNOW from the Backup Media CD?, that is after I change a couple of things in Folder Options.

The CD label says it included SP3 so it's not a SP2 XP but a full SP3... don't know why you upgraded to the SP3 Service pack separately having an SP3 installation by the looks of the CD label..

I don't see any discrepancies in the registry images!!

Some screenshots of the CD insides to see the folders and file dates would help clear the confusion... but all you have to lose with a SFC /Scannow is a few minutes... if the System doesn't accept the CD it will do nothing but take up a few minutes of your time.
December 20, 2011 10:12:32 AM

Hi Chicano,
:) 

Hey, more help and brains. :D  We'll get Tim's system figured out for sure now.
December 20, 2011 3:38:46 PM

OK, guys, maybe I didn't make things to clear. I did NOT use the Backup Media to install the OS originally. I used the Genuine MS XP Pro hologram disk which is SP2.
Next, I installed SP3 using the SP3 disk. Sooooo, at present, the machine has XP Pro SP3 installed. The Backup Media w/SP3 disk is what it is- 617MB of data on it.
I am about 99% certain I can run the sfc scannow with this disk.
It seems prudent to back up everything on the HDD to a remote locale, just in case something goes wrong.
Really, I don't know why I just don't throw one of these VelociRaptors I have sitting around here in it and reinstall the OS. For that matter, I would feel better upgrading the chip and mobo. This P4 is getting a little long in tooth.
My new rig is powered by 2nd Gen i7-2600k and W7 64bit Pro. I just like using this relic as a lab rat.

'Hey, more help and brains. We'll get Tim's system figured out for sure now.'- I'm grateful for that, tigsounds, now that your drunk cat is deceased!

Hey guys!...For grins, I'll post some photo links of the Event Viewer- then you'll understand why I want to run the System File Check.

Take a peek: http://imageshack.us/g/23/eventvwr2.png/
December 20, 2011 6:21:16 PM

tigsounds said:

Hi Chicano,
:) 

Hey, more help and brains. :D  We'll get Tim's system figured out for sure now.

Que pasa tigsound?? We can try, that's for sure.
December 20, 2011 6:52:54 PM

Mucho gracias, Amigo's!... Esta bien!...Aquí va! ... Vamos a darle un tiro!
December 20, 2011 7:12:27 PM

timw128 said:
Mucho gracias, Amigo's!... Esta bien!...Aquí va! ... Vamos a darle un tiro!
Arriba, arriba... yepa - yepa!!! Ajuuuuaaaa!!. Hey!.. you're honorary latino zeuseng06?
December 20, 2011 7:13:37 PM

Getting back to business:

timw128 said:
OK, guys, maybe I didn't make things to clear. I did NOT use the Backup Media to install the OS originally. I used the Genuine MS XP Pro hologram disk which is SP2.
Next, I installed SP3 using the SP3 disk. Sooooo, at present, the machine has XP Pro SP3 installed. The Backup Media w/SP3 disk is what it is- 617MB of data on it.

I noticed that later.. I hadn't seen the third image where you have the 3 CDs.. so I figured later I had it wrong. I still have my doubts about the white CD and what it contains, that'w what I'm asking you to take some screenshots of the main folders and file dates to determine what it exactly contains. If it turns out not to be a fullfledged OS installer, you can still make a Bootable WXP Pro SP3 CD slipstreaming your WXP SP2 hollogram CD with the blue SP3 update CD with the instructions I gave you before... It's easy and quick to do, perfectly legal and you can use it for any installation type plus SC Scannow.

timw128 said:
I am about 99% certain I can run the sfc scannow with this disk.

If you mean the WXP SP2 CD, SFC may refuse it... that's because having more recent files in your System, it will not accept the older versions in the SP2 CD... you can confirm this in just a few minutes, all you can lose is a few minutes of your time, nothing wrong can happen. I do that all the time, so I'm sure of that.

timw128 said:
It seems prudent to back up everything on the HDD to a remote locale, just in case something goes wrong.
Really, I don't know why I just don't throw one of these VelociRaptors I have sitting around here in it and reinstall the OS. For that matter, I would feel better upgrading the chip and mobo. This P4 is getting a little long in tooth.
My new rig is powered by 2nd Gen i7-2600k and W7 64bit Pro. I just like using this relic as a lab rat. .

Sure, you can backup personal files to one of those USB Hard Drives you have connected to the PC... for peace of mind, but it's not really necessary just to run SFC.

Well, whenever you're ready to throw that p4 rig away just tell me where so I can go catch it. I need a second PC to replace my old PIII lab mouse! :)  .. Hey!!. The more you mess-up the more you learn!!... so it’s better to mess-up an old rig.

And if, and when you're ready to upgrade it.. just ask and we can guide you to the right hardware and in the budget range.

timw128 said:
'Hey, more help and brains. We'll get Tim's system figured out for sure now.'- I'm grateful for that, tigsounds, now that your drunk cat is deceased!

Hey guys!...For grins, I'll post some photo links of the Event Viewer- then you'll understand why I want to run the System File Check.

Take a peek: http://imageshack.us/g/23/eventvwr2.png/

The link won’t lead to the image… that’s happened before so don’t copy the link within the browser… copy it to a text file and then copy paste from text to this thread, that’s what I’ve done to make sure they lead to the right page.
December 20, 2011 7:33:51 PM

OK, noted. Well, I ran the SFC and it took awhile. Funny thing is, I went to Windows Update right afterwards and it said there were no Updates available. Seemed weird to me!
I'll go put that Event Viewer in a Text File and post.
December 20, 2011 7:50:26 PM

Quote:
If you mean the WXP SP2 CD, SFC may refuse it... that's because having more recent files in your System, it will not accept the older versions in the SP2 CD... you can confirm this in just a few minutes, all you can lose is a few minutes of your time, nothing wrong can happen. I do that all the time, so I'm sure of that.

No, I ran the Backup Media w/SP3 Disk.

Quote:
Well, whenever you're ready to throw that p4 rig away just tell me where so I can go catch it. I need a second PC to replace my old PIII lab mouse! :)  .. Hey!!. The more you mess-up the more you learn!!... so it’s better to mess-up an old rig.

Thanks, I have the hardware aspect pretty much figured out. Funny thing is that this new rig I built is a breeze to fiddled with. OC'n it and making adjustments is just a breeze. I sure wish the vendors would get their act together on SSD reliability, though, I want to up the ante with aserious RAID config on this new machine. The P4 rig, I think I am going to update the cpu and mobo. For this XP Pro deal, I am thinking about trying an amd P2 X4 955BE and use one of my VelociRaptor 32MB cache HDD's in it. I have a ton of NOS parts lying around. It pays to have friends in high places!

Quote:
.. you're honorary latino zeuseng06?

Nah!...Just had to learn a few foreign languages because of my position in automotive engineering.

Quote:
The link won’t lead to the image… that’s happened before so don’t copy the link within the browser… copy it to a text file and then copy paste from text to this thread, that’s what I’ve done to make sure they lead to the right page.

How do I do that, from My Docs/ My Photos?... I don't have an Office Prog installed. I have Office 2007 Enterprise on CD, but I am afraid to run it, if you get my drift :o 
December 20, 2011 8:07:40 PM

OK, got your responses to the dot...

Just copy the url address to a .txt or .rtf file and from there to the thread. I use more .rtf and .txt than Word to make it simple, they take up less space, open in an instant and they don't copy all the format from webpages just simple text, so it's a quick copy paste. You can find Notepad.exe (txt) in D:\WINDOWS and Wordpad.exe for rtf format in D:\Program files\Windows NT\Accesories. Create shortcuts from those programs and paste them in your desktop, start menu or quick start bar.
December 20, 2011 8:19:50 PM

Hey Chicano, how come I wasn't required to reload Windows Updates after the SFC op?...Went to IE and hit updates, Windows checked the SYS and said there were none available. This relic seems to be snappier than before, though.
I'll see if I can get the .rtf op right.
Well, it looks like I need a Word Processing prog to create the .rtf file. I don't have one. Got any suggestions- step by step?... Gracias, Hombre!
December 20, 2011 8:56:55 PM

SFC doesn't require updating... I guess your system is fully updated, the SFC scan didn't replace older or corrupt files, or provided missing files... all SP3 files so no update was necessary. Yes snapier would be expected, and it can get better if you remove old temp and log files, and a bunch of old and orphaned registry values and keys, remove startup programs from start\run\type: msconfig\startup tab, and disable third party unused services fro the msdonfig\Services tab checking hide microsoft sevices and unckeck third party unused services. I use CCleaner to do the cleaning and ocasionally run Tune Up Utilities or free Glary utilities.

Download the zip file containing Wordpad and Notepad.
http://www.mediafire.com/?d31a38mae8a39vw

Extract both programs (standalone files) to your preferred location and create shortcuts to your desktop, start menu or quick start bar.
December 20, 2011 9:09:43 PM

Talk about corruption... the forum has deleting my last two responses, so here it goes again:

SFC doesn't require updating... I guess your system is fully updated, the SFC scan must have replaced older or corrupt files, or provided missing files... all SP3 files so no update was necessary. Yes snapier would be expected, and it can get better if you remove old temp and log files, and a bunch of old and orphaned registry values and keys, remove startup programs from start\run\type: msconfig\startup tab, and disable third party unused services fro the msdonfig\Services tab checking hide microsoft sevices and unckeck third party unused services. I use CCleaner to do the cleaning and ocasionally run Tune Up Utilities or free Glary utilities.

or from
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d31a38mae8a39vw/wordpad.r...

Extract both programs (standalone files) to your preferred location and create shortcuts to your desktop, start menu or quick start bar.

Glad to help out caballero!
December 20, 2011 9:12:59 PM

Talk about corruption, this thread has refusing my last three repeated responses, so here it goes again.

SFC doesn't require updating... I guess your system is fully updated, the SFC scan must have replaced older or corrupt files, or provided missing files... all SP3 files so no update was necessary. Yes snapier would be expected, and it can get better if you remove old temp and log files, and a bunch of old and orphaned registry values and keys, remove startup programs from start\run\type: msconfig\startup tab, and disable third party unused services fro the msdonfig\Services tab checking hide microsoft sevices and unckeck third party unused services. I use CCleaner to do the cleaning and ocasionally run Tune Up Utilities or free Glary utilities.

or from

Glad to help out caballero!
December 20, 2011 9:18:57 PM

Just got a reply from my OS Software source. This is what she had to say regarding the Backup Media w/SP3 disk:

Hi again Mr. Whalen:

You should be able to use the "Pro
Backup Disk (w SP3)" for your
repairs; just proceed as you normally would
for a holographic SP2 disk;
after that, you WILL have to download (again)
ALL the latest (ca.2009+)
patches and security updates from
Microsoft.

(FYI: The "Pro Backup Disk (w SP3)" (a TRUE Retail Version of
the
software) was never publicly distributed by Microsoft. The software,

and disk, WERE designed / engineered by Microsoft's "Windows Team", but

it was only made available (as an ISO-file; I only burn copies) to

software designers, select engineers and some of Microsoft's larger

corporate clients.)

-- Mary S., Microsoft Certified System
Engineer

Funny thing is, I couldn't get the patches and Sec Updates- Windows Update said I didn't need them!
December 20, 2011 9:19:50 PM

timw128 said:
Hey Chicano, how come I wasn't required to reload Windows Updates after the SFC op?...Went to IE and hit updates, Windows checked the SYS and said there were none available. This relic seems to be snappier than before, though.
I'll see if I can get the .rtf op right.
Well, it looks like I need a Word Processing prog to create the .rtf file. I don't have one. Got any suggestions- step by step?... Gracias, Hombre!

Talk about corruption, this thread has refusing my last repeated responses, so here it goes again. I have repeated the response some 4 times and it keeps posting and dissappearing.

or from

Glad to help out!
December 20, 2011 9:21:41 PM

Here is the reply from OS vendor regarding the Backup Media w/SP3 disk.

Hi again Mr. Whalen:

You should be able to use the "Pro
Backup Disk (w SP3)" for your
repairs; just proceed as you normally would
for a holographic SP2 disk;
after that, you WILL have to download (again)
ALL the latest (ca.2009+)
patches and security updates from
Microsoft.

(FYI: The "Pro Backup Disk (w SP3)" (a TRUE Retail Version of
the
software) was never publicly distributed by Microsoft. The software,

and disk, WERE designed / engineered by Microsoft's "Windows Team", but

it was only made available (as an ISO-file; I only burn copies) to

software designers, select engineers and some of Microsoft's larger

corporate clients.)

-- Mary S., Microsoft Certified System
Engineer

Funny thing is Windows Update said I was up to date when I went to 'Check for Updates'.
December 20, 2011 10:04:40 PM

LOL.... I can see you had the same problem.. We'll have to delete repeated responses but will have to do that when the problem has stabilized.

I don't know if I explained myself but those were my similar thoughts on the Backup Media CD. What I get is that you can use it as a regular retail Windows XP Pro SP3 CD, just the same as your WXP SP2 hollogrammed CD though upgraded to SP3.

On the updates, have you enabled Automatic Updates? maybe that will help.
December 21, 2011 12:07:31 AM

Yo, esse!....lol...decided to put my picture up, homes!...lol!

Anyway, the updates are on...The machine crashed real hard and the OS wouldn't boot. Played around in the DOS recovery area (F10) and it said the OS was installed- 2 of them- but not really(?) I am wondering if the SFC /SCANNOW worked...Like I said, went to Windows Update and it said I was already updated. Shoot, I really don't want to do a repair install. I have way too many custom settings, icon packages, etc.. Repair Install can be touchy...I have them go both ways and there isn't enough time in my day to chase this thing. There has to be an answer. When the machine boots, it goes to the Compaq page where I get the normal choices- F1, F8, F10, etc., then goes to the black page where it lists Recovery Console, Windows XP Professional- I have it set to stay there for 3 secs. However, since the crash, there is a ':/?' at the top of the list where the Debug used to be.
I finally recovered through F8, Last Known Good Config, and then did a Sys Restore back to 3 hrs. ago. Can't remember if that was before or after the SFC.
I just have this gut feeling something isn't right as it takes a long time for the Desk Top to load after the Password is entered and the Printer spools up.
Whatta ya think?
December 21, 2011 12:22:02 AM

timw128 said:
Yo, esse!....lol...decided to put my picture up, homes!...lol!

Anyway, the updates are on...The machine crashed real hard and the OS wouldn't boot. Played around in the DOS recovery area (F10) and it said the OS was installed- 2 of them- but not really(?) I am wondering if the SFC /SCANNOW worked...Like I said, went to Windows Update and it said I was already updated. Shoot, I really don't want to do a repair install. I have way too many custom settings, icon packages, etc.. Repair Install can be touchy...I have them go both ways and there isn't enough time in my day to chase this thing. There has to be an answer. When the machine boots, it goes to the Compaq page where I get the normal choices- F1, F8, F10, etc., then goes to the black page where it lists Recovery Console, Windows XP Professional- I have it set to stay there for 3 secs. However, since the crash, there is a ':/?' at the top of the list where the Debug used to be.
I finally recovered through F8, Last Known Good Config, and then did a Sys Restore back to 3 hrs. ago. Can't remember if that was before or after the SFC.
I just have this gut feeling something isn't right as it takes a long time for the Desk Top to load after the Password is entered and the Printer spools up.
Whatta ya think?

What I think, is you have to rebuild the MBR followed by a FIXBOOT from the Recovery Console using the Windows XP CD or your installed Recovery Console.

What I don't get is
Quote:
there is a ':/?'
.. Whatcha mean by that?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000627.htm
http://michaelstevenstech.com/r_c_cmds.htm
December 21, 2011 12:34:48 AM

Hey dude, you sure you aint latin?... you trying to pass for one?... Que pasa? lol!!
December 21, 2011 2:06:49 AM

I guess it was a typo. All I know is that after I do the SFC and reboot, I have no screen display. I have to go to 'Last Known Good Config' and then a Sys Restore. It's something in the DLL Cache, I think. Could have something to do with the Video Card and/or nVidia updates- not sure.
Let me check those links out. I am going to have to think that MBR-FIXBOOT thing out.
This startin' to drive me nuts! I have videos to burn and other stuff.
I'll give you a report in a bit. Let me study those links- Thanks, man!
Latino's?... Nah, jus' have a bunch of esse' I run around with. Shoot, man, I'm jus' in it for the food! Betcha ya don't know too many Gringo's who likes Menudo- that stuff'l cure anything!
December 21, 2011 4:26:40 AM

timw128 said:
I guess it was a typo. All I know is that after I do the SFC and reboot, I have no screen display. I have to go to 'Last Known Good Config' and then a Sys Restore. It's something in the DLL Cache, I think. Could have something to do with the Video Card and/or nVidia updates- not sure.
Let me check those links out. I am going to have to think that MBR-FIXBOOT thing out.
This startin' to drive me nuts! I have videos to burn and other stuff.
I'll give you a report in a bit. Let me study those links- Thanks, man!
Latino's?... Nah, jus' have a bunch of esse' I run around with. Shoot, man, I'm jus' in it for the food! Betcha ya don't know too many Gringo's who likes Menudo- that stuff'l cure anything!

I would do a repair reinstall instead of dealing with the trouble every restart. A reinstallation won't lose settings or files... it's just another way of resetting everything, renewing files, reinstalling programs, registering .dll files, etc. it only takes about 45-60 min tops and you will not lose files as you're probably thinking. That would be the recommended fix for all the problems your PC is displaying. You only need to recover the serial key with Keyfinder... so you can type it in during the installation.

Yeah, that menudo is good for hangovers.. betcha that's what you mean by 'anything'... and it's even better with plenty of chilli sauce.. bet you didn't know that!.. Not many gringos like even looking at menudo, but they don't know what they're missing... do they? You only have to wash it thoroughly before cooking and throw some steer leg bone and feet in the pot to make it taste better... strange food aint it??... but great stuff for you.. hey, the whole steer is edible.. you can eat the eyes, tongue, cheek, gut intestines... brain, kidney, liver... the blood!!.. Some cultures dont waste anything... and you guys only eat the meat, and leave the good stuff for the dogs?
December 21, 2011 4:39:26 AM

I eat it all!...barbecoa, lengua....everything!
Anyway, I am convinced there is something running around in my rig- infection wise.
Clock changes, keyboard misfires, weird file folders popping up that I haven't seen before. Found one tonight called '$LDR$', Googled it and nothing. Opened it in Notepad and it was a bunch of jibberish I couldn't figure out.
Can't run the SFC, install Recovery Console, etc.. No entry in my Boot.ini in msconfig.exe. Made a copy of it and renamed it and was still able to run it from there- NOT GOOD!
So, I need to find someone who can interpret ComboFix and HJT files, and has a good solution for nukin' the MF'er who is sneakin' around inside that steal box. Shoot, my Rottie doesn't even sense 'em, so ya know it's clever!
Chico, let me know if ya got any tricks, aight?
December 21, 2011 5:06:37 AM

The clock changing could mean the BIOS battery is done for... keyboard misfires could indicate the power supply is on way to the morgue... it could also cause system freezes, bogdowns, asorted symptoms. Unknown folders popping out o their own?.. that cold be a bug. $LDR$ must be a bug... did you delete it? most system files are jibberish cause their in code, but bugs are also in code so just scan them with the antivirus and manually delete files that you can't find in the net... particularly those that are named with strange names.

No entry in Boot.ini? you mean it's blank? See if opening boot.ini from Control Panel\System\Advanced\Start and Recovery\Configuration\Edit. If msdconfig doesn't show what you find in boot.ini, it must be msconfig is infected. I didn't get the meaning in "made a copy of it and renamed it and was able to run it from there"... clear that up for me. I have run Combo Fix and it didn't make any report... so beats me. HJT I use regularly so I may be able to read it.
December 21, 2011 8:39:17 AM

Quote:
....the BIOS battery is done for..
Even with the machine plugged in and running? :??:  ... If that's the case, I better get that AMD P2 X4 955BE and MOBO ordered up... OEM mobo has a wheezed RAM slot, anyhow! :fou:  Plus, being OEM= locked BIOS= No Fun! (Cheap-Azz ASUS goldfish3 mobo)

Quote:
...the power supply is on way to the morgue.. :(  ..
Better not be!...Replaced the Chinese OEM PS (250w) a year ago with a nice Corsair 450w piece.

Quote:
$LDR$ must be a bug... did you delete it?
Hell yeah!!! :lol:  ...Shoulda Screen shotted it for ya- it looked like somethin' drippin' off that creature in the movie Alien!

Quote:
No entry in Boot.ini? you mean it's blank?
Yeppers!

Quote:
... it must be msconfig is infected. I didn't get the meaning in "made a copy of it and renamed it...
Well, that's a quick test for local infection in an .exe file. I sorta misspoke there. What I did was went into the directory in the Service Pack folder and found the root- MSCONFIG.EXE, and renamed it MSCONFIG1.EXE and ran it- and it ran. It shouldn't have because the file name was altered.

I just got done doing an exhaustive Malware tutorial called 'READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide' at Major Geeks Forum. Uses pretty much the same protocol as 'bleepingcomputer.com'. The deal is that the dudes at Geek's ain't as stiff as the dude's at the bleep.

SAS did find some sh_t from CNET Informer that got removed and quarantined. Like I said earlier, I haven't paid too much attention to the specialty progs like HJT and ComboFix to interpret the logs. Looks like it's time to figure them out!

Well, I might as well try a Repair in a coupla days if'n I'm still havin' issues. I haven't ruled out some Hware pieces yet, either... I have the right tools to diagnose that stuff from my professional Slot Car racin' and R/C Boat racin' days. Design, Engineering, and Troubleshooting is my world....LOL! :o 
December 21, 2011 5:46:23 PM

The BIOS acting up before booting, which is where you mentioned a problem... The computer running has nothing to do with the BIOS... some BIOS batteries had the capability to be charged by the PSU but today's motherboards use a non rechargeable battery afaik, and even if they had, even rechargeable batteries die eventually. You did mention the computer being Compaq didn't you? well those have their own BIOS program and those are only configurable to a very limited degree.

OK, so the PSU may not be the cause for instability, but have checked the hardware power and digital connections?, checked the ram is well seated in the slots, have you ever cleaned the slots?

You tested msconfig.exe found in the Service Pack folder? that's the backup, but what about the one in; C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries .. that's the msconfig in use. They may act the same but better check both, even do a search for other copies in the system... and even delete them and get a clean copy in your system. BTW... did you download the Wordpad and Notepad? sorry I uploaded sp versions but I plainly forgot my system is in SP!! But you can download english versions or install similar text programs.

HJT has a forum where you can upload the report for assistance in reading it... I can read my own because I have tabs on what I install but on someone elses system I'd have to ask, but even so you can mostly ID malware by their weird or unrecognizable names... If you know what you installed, that sort of names pop-up when you read them. About ComboFix, I've never have read the log, I've just ran it and trusted it...

I'd suggest you thoroughly clean the system before doing a reinstall... I'm not convinced you'd get rid of all bugs reinstalling the system... A good application worth considering is A Squared Free.. I've found this application can detect dozens when others detect nothing or just a few... some detections are false positives but it's better you ignore false positives when deleting, than the application ignoring real bugs.

About the hardware, if you plan to upgrade the dinosaur, newegg has some real specials right now.. I was looking into them last night, and some cheap but good AMD mobos are going as low as $39.00 and AMD processors that would blow the socks out of a P4 are around $61.00 ... even a Sempron which is a locked core Athlon IIX2 and far better than a Pentium 4 is going for $39.00. These processors can be unlocked in the BIOS to work just like a $61.00 Athlon II.

Professional Slot Car Racing? is there any money in that, or is it just for fun?... Congrats about your profession.. sounds like a fun occupation..

December 22, 2011 3:14:23 AM

Hey, Amigo!...How's it goin'?....

OK, let's see what we got he-ah!

Quote:
...checked the hardware power and digital connections?, checked the ram is well seated in the slots, have you ever cleaned the slots?

Sí, todo está bien allí ... It's a dual channel config, and the #3 slot is wheezed. So, I have dos slots in the 1st channel and uno slotto in the 2nd channel. Running a 2 x 2GB DDR2 stick set-up. Comprende, esse?

Quote:
...what about the one in; C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Binaries .. that's the msconfig in use

NADA!...sorry, my mistake. :lol: 

Quote:
...did you download the Wordpad and Notepad?
Not yet, was up all night runnin' scans to post at MajorGeeks Malware Police Dept.

Got a real mess on me hands here. Find a bunch of obsolete nVidia Display Drivers that were apparently bogging everything down. Removed them and kept the current update and this relic REALLY woke up! I think there is more in the tank, too. It's just a matter of sorting through my Directories and keeping an eye on that Event Viewer and Task Manager. For the record, the OS is only 'seeing' 2.68GB's of the 4GB's of RAM installed. When I was running off the integrated graphics it was 'seeing' approx. 3.5GB. I threw a PNY GS8400 512MB PCI at it, and I think that's where the RAM went. I tried a Sapphire 1GB PCI, but it smoked real quick. Got in a big pissin' contest with their Tech Support over that deal! PCI is too weak a link to support a 1GB VC. Idiots!

Quote:
...you can mostly ID malware by their weird or unrecognizable names...
Yeah, I was looking at the scan logs we generated from HJT, ComboFix, MGTools, etc.. Googled a couple of the extensions and, BINGO!, GUESS WHAT???...'...high probability of malware'

Quote:
...thoroughly clean the system before doing a reinstall...
Chicano, I couldn't agree with you more! A repair install isn't bulletproof

Check this out!: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Dude!, is this guy like Einstein 'r what, dude???

Hardware?...This is what I am looking at: http://www.portatech.com/catalog/products.asp?id=1240, and

http://www.portatech.com/catalog/viewitem.asp?ID=70257&...

What I like about these guys is the warranty options, service, etc.. Yeah, they cost more than the 'Egg or the Tiger, but everything is mounted, burned

in, BIOS flashed- you name it! Check the whole site out. It is well laid out with plenty of side windows w/ specs. You'll probably dig it!

This mATX Compaq chassis'd rig is far from stock. We got around the BIOS and pushed the FSB and the chip voltage just a tad. Went from 2.97Ghz to

3.10 on some hot rodded, in house cooling. Problem with P4 is it ain't got no cache! That's why the one RAM slot is wheezed- you can see on the

mobo where a capacitor popped like a zit and has pus hangin' out of it!!!...LMAO! :bounce: 

So, when I gitter all tuned in and up with this XP Pro on it, we're gonna network with the W7 x64/ 2600k rig and my new DROID Razr dumb phone, and

my Printer, which, by the way, is pretty slick in it's own right. Cloud technology and everything!

I gotta run, my friend... I'll tell ya about the Slot Cars later. WAAAAAY more intense than any game for the pc.

I'll get that wordpad installed and send ya some ugliness from the Event Viewer. Application>Warning!>EventSystem>cat52>event 4356 and

cat54>event 4353- ALL DAY LONG!...Pretty Spooky! :hello: 

!