Disc to Disc Comparison

dbrown1986

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
First off, I have read the rules and understand them and I would not be posting this otherwise.

I am an avid PC Gamer; and supporter of companies and their Intellectual Property (IP's). I will generally play some of a game that a friend owns and then proceed to purchase a copy for myself, however; I'm also very gentle with my discs, and even so, in accordance to fair trade laws and our right to have 1 (ONE) backup of said merchandise (so long as I retain the original disc).

Now; this is not a thread that will advertise what game or what programs I use, however being the perfectionist that I am I like to be able to compare side by side, the data structure of a disc, even when it's just a simple file or folder that I am burning from my HDD to a disc, I usually do a 'data verification' of the disc, but I still don't feel comfortable with that.

So, what I am asking, is this, are there any programs that compare a side-by-side of Disc A with that of Disc B?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, such programs exist. However, as you have surely discovered, "data verification" will not compensate for some of the data protection mechanisms used by some vendors.

So, given that, you are really looking for a ripper, with verification that accommodates the proprietary aspects as well. Correct?

dbrown1986

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
To sum it up, yeah. I'd like to save a disc if I know it isn't going to work, all I have to go on now is Data Verification, Size comparisons and hex signatures, which have for the most part been exactly the same each time.

dbrown1986

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
If I'm understanding this right, you're basically saying "Go with what you've got." Which is what I plan on doing, the DMCA and WIPO Copyright laws state nothing about whether or not backups are allowed, it does however protect the publisher and it's IP's against circumvention software (such as the one I use) and therefore, creating the backup disc is "bending" the rules, but not breaking them. I felt as though I probably wasn't going to get anywhere with this question given it's controversial nature, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS