1st Time OC Temp/voltage question

jeremiahB

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hi all,

I just OC'd my new i7 2600k chip and am getting the following results:
Core Spd: 4400 MHz
Core Voltage: 1.304
Core Temps: 65C - 75C on 100% load using Prime 95 for 40 minutes.

This is running stable.

I would like the temps to be a bit lower and may move the multiplier back to 43 or 42. However, before doing that, I wanted to ask opinions. I've read a lot of material before doing this but I don't understand the correlation between the core voltage and heat. Should I try lowering the core voltage? If I do, will that lower the temps? Or do I want more core voltage?

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

For ref:
Asus P8Z68 V Pro
I7 2600K
Coolmaster 212+
Coolmaster HAF 912

search818

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I have almost the same set-up, except i have a 2500k. I would try to gradually lower your vcore until you get lowest stable setting (mine is 4.4 @ 1.280 vcore). If you are at the lowest, than it could possibly be that the 212+ needs to be reseated, or you may have too much/too little thermal paste applied. And finally, ambient temp plays a big part in cpu temps, so if it is 10 degrees hotter in your house now than it was a month ago you will see it in your cpu temps.

jeremiahB

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for the advice! What interval should I use to lower the vcore, 1.304 to 1.303, etc?

In terms of ensuring the right amount of TC and a properly seated 212+, how would I know?

Currently, at stock speeds, the chip idles around 30C and hits ~50C maxed out. OC'ing to 4.4 I get the afore mentioned temps. With the stock fan the ASUS bios read 60C to start out with so before even installing the OS I bought a new fan because that temp felt way to high.

I cleaned off the chip and subsequently used arctic silver, put the rice sized blob, and spread using a plastic encased finger and then mounted the cooler. THis is my first pc build but I followed all the instructions I could find.

I freely admit that human error could play a significant part of these errors...

search818

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Very gradually, one or two clicks at a time, reboot and run a stress testing program (i run 20 passes of linx). look for tutorial for your brand of paste (I know artic silver has quite a few)....are you using push/pull on the 212+, also what is the ambient temp in the room where rig is set up.

jeremiahB

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Ambient temps are 23C. I'm only using one fan on the 212+. The rear case fan is about 5" away from the radiator and that is my "pull". Would a fan on the other side of the radiator make that significant of a difference?

I didn't review the arctic silver instructions; I used the amount specified on the newegg series for building a computer. i'll check out the arctic silver articles. I can always do this again as I have plenty of tc left.

Btw, thank you for the responses. I appreciate it!

search818

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
No problem, The difference in adding a push fan to your 212+ will not be huge (maybe a degree or two) but it does help. You could try putting two skythe gentle typhoons's on the 212+ and that might give you a couple extra degree's. Also I like to use my front and side fans on my case as intake fans, and the rear and top as exhaust fans for optimal airflow.