Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2010 11:27:31 AM

Hi

Until recently my computer has performed ok.

It will now freeze at any time from power on to running for maximum 10 minutes.

Motherboard is an EP-4geaD

Running Windows XP home.

Help please

More about : computer freezes

a c 435 V Motherboard
January 5, 2010 5:08:38 PM

Could be something overheating. Video card, cpu, or power supply. Check the fans and clean if dusty with a canned air product. I wouldn't use a vacuum or alcohol. You can also remount the cpu, cleaning the surfaces and applying new thermal grease.
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2010 5:43:26 PM

Sounds like a heat issue to me also. What is the CPU and CPU cooler you are using?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2010 11:01:38 AM

o1die said:
Could be something overheating. Video card, cpu, or power supply. Check the fans and clean if dusty with a canned air product. I wouldn't use a vacuum or alcohol. You can also remount the cpu, cleaning the surfaces and applying new thermal grease.

My initial thought was heat. So checked all the fans they are working fine i also cleaned all surfaces and vents with a small brush.
It also happens even on power up all components are cool.
I will look at remounting the cpu.

Thanks
January 11, 2010 1:03:17 AM

Make sure your your power supply is suppling enough wattage to power all your components in your computer.
January 11, 2010 7:02:26 AM

Do you mean it quits responding, or crashes? If it quits responding it could be a virus is locking up your computer. Try booting in safe mode and see if your computer still freezes up after 10 minutes. Also just a thought. Maybe one of your RAM modules are bad and overheats. If you have two sticks of RAM you could try removing one then the other to verify there Okay.
January 15, 2010 9:39:48 PM

Did as you suggested with the memory, same result

Could it be i need a new motherboard.
I have tried to purchase an EP-4GEAD but cannot find one.
Does any one of a direct replacement.
!