SATA 1.0 & 3.0 used together?

Nakkiel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Does it slow the speed of the SATA 3.0 (6 Gb/s) when you are using a 1.0 (1.5 Gb/s) at the same time? I just got an SSD and my secondary HD is a 3.0 as well, but I'm thinking of using a third (My old 1.0) solely for recording shows.

Solution

Not really. SATA ports are typically one to one data pathways (not like the old IDE drives that reverted to the least common denominator for devices connected to a common IDE cable) and they are really not subject to the sorts of throttling you ask about.

Recycling an old HDD for storage is a good idea and shouldn't slow your other drives (unless transferring data from one drive to another).

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Not really. SATA ports are typically one to one data pathways (not like the old IDE drives that reverted to the least common denominator for devices connected to a common IDE cable) and they are really not subject to the sorts of throttling you ask about.

Recycling an old HDD for storage is a good idea and shouldn't slow your other drives (unless transferring data from one drive to another).

Solution