CPU heatsink

cormos

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
So I noticed my temps were sky rocketing, and I looked at my heatsink that came with my Q6600, and one of the pins won't stay locked in my mobo. So I am currently using my mother's computer to ask this question lol.. first of all does anyone know of a temporary fix, or has anyone even heard of this happening? Second I've been looking into a new one anyways, what would be the best one for about $40 to $50?

cormos

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I have a p5q-e. also if it helps at all, when my tech teacher and I were putting it together we noticed this issue, but we got it to stick pretty well. and Tjharlow not too long ago (from youtube) said the xigmatek 1283 is a very good cooler, it is a bolt through as far as I know.

cormos

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
so I should buy one of those heatsinks and the bolt through kit for it? And also that last post was that supposed to mean that it's probably the pins on the heatsink and not the mobo that's at fault?

cormos

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
sorry to double post.. but I was curious as to if this would be a better buy?? it's pretty much the same thing but it's all in one package AND it has free shipping which the crossbow and heatsinks by themselves do not? correct me if i'm wrong please I don't wanna buy this thing and it's not right lol http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029
only thing I don't like is that it's a white led.. lol

There's no way to know for certain what the problem is. More likely the push pin I'd think.
Dark Knight is a S1283 with the bolt thru kit. But no rebate available like the other models I linked. You can do the math to see where the best value is. Or pick the one you like the look of best.
The shorter HDT-SD964 is also a very good cooler and a major upgrade over the cooler you're replacing.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> first of all does anyone know of a temporary fix, or has anyone even heard of this happening?

Yes: by our estimates, this has been happening
to THOUSANDS (not hundreds) of Enthusiasts
who don't (yet) understand the reason
for this widespread overheating.

There are temporary and permanent solutions
described here:

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/heatsinks/warning.htm

e.g. this is a very cost-effective solution, which we have
installed very successfully on several "PressHots":

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html

Sidewinder just moved to new offices, so be patient:
they are still unpacking, last I heard from Gary Stofer! :)

MRFS

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
> There's no way to know for certain what the problem is.

Yes there is (see above.)

> one of the pins won't stay locked in my mobo

When a push-pin won't seat or "pops" out,
that results in severely reducing the contact pressure
between the HSF and the CPU's heat spreader.

Without sufficient contact pressure, there is insufficient heat transfer, and
it builds up instead inside the CPU.

This is a well documented engineering defect in Intel's stupid push-pins,
but Intel refuses to fix the problem. So, a smart after-market has grown
up around third-party HSFs.

MRFS

cormos

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
okay so when I took it to school today my teacher took the whole heatsink off and turned it 90 degrees, now they all lock in. I am still going to be purchasing a new heatsink though. thanks everyone for help, i'll post back if I need anything more :D

cormos

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
I got the heatsink Thursday, got it installed Friday and overclocked Saturday. My temps @ 3204 MHz are below 60 so the heatsink works well. usually below 55 running prime 95. still working on voltages but that is another story in itself. thanks all for help this can be closed pretty much