Sign in with
Your question

Semi-final check for i7 build

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2009 2:41:11 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Week

BUDGET RANGE: US$960-1160

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the internet, photo/video editing, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: CASE AND POWERSUPPLY, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel/Nvidia/Evga/Asus/Gigabyte/OCZ/Corsair- most brands are A-OK with me, I really just want the best quality without breaking the bank

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI: Yes, in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Several things, I've been out of the loop for 3 weeks (camping) so if there's anything I need to know that is important, please help. It's really hard to catch up on 3 weeks of news in one night. Also, before I left I bought an Antec 1200 and an Antec CP-850 (850W) PSU as a combo deal. That was 240$, which explains the oddity that is my budget.
I have no idea what motherboard to buy. I was going to go with Evga, then Asus, then Gigabyte. At most, I'd only do 2 SLI, but I'm wondering if any new features that might come out where I use a third PCI-E 16x/8x/4x slot for an accessory. So, if possible I would like a 3rd PCI-E slot, but I would also like the most reliable and stable board, and if that meant only 2xPCI-E slots, than that's OK.

Lastly, I have little idea of what RAM to get. I was thinking OCZ Platnium, but I just want solid RAM for under 100$.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

3 things about my wishlist:

1. I have an Asus P6T b/c it's the board I'm considering right now, for the price I want.

2. I have no Ram, so 100$ is my Maximum, I would prefer to pay 80-90$.

3. I am getting the GTX 275 Superclocked, b/c it's just as cheap as the standard GTX 275. If there's any way I can drop the price down by 10-50$, and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, TH is the best.

More about : semi final check build

July 12, 2009 3:03:24 AM

I think you are good to go.
I used patriot ddr3-1600 ram without a problem on the P6T deluxe. Read the mobo manual and put the sticks in the orange slots if you only have three.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$75 after rebate.
Get a small tube of as-5 or mx-2 thermal paste for your cooler.
July 12, 2009 3:18:09 AM

That RAM looks good, I was thinking of getting a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P for 260$ with a 20$ MIR, it has everything I want, with 16x/16x/8x PCIE slots. My only issue is that my friend strongly reccomends going with Asus or Evga. Should I pay the extra 20$ and get an Asus P6T V2. There's a -45$ combo deal with an Intel i7 920, which would bring the price below that of the Gigabyte model w/o the MIR. Any advice?
July 12, 2009 3:31:01 AM

I just found the Evga SLI LE, and I want to know if it supports 16x/16x SLI? Does anyone know? The specs for it are a little shaky, and it's hard to determine whether or not I can run dual 16x SLI...

Edit: Just discovered that it's 16/8/4/8 which is not what I wanted. Should I just go with the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and get the Combo deal?
!