Sign in with
Your question

Can my computer handle two 4870's?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2009 4:22:57 AM

This is my current computer:
Motherboard: K9A2 Platinum
RAM: 4GB DDR2 1066 mHz Patriot Viper
CPU: AMD 9850 BE (stock clocks, 2.5gHz, with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 for a cooler)
Video Card: MSI 4870 512mb OC (it came with the GPU at 780 mHz, and the memory at 1 gHz)
PSU: Corsair 750 watt
HDD: Seagate 500 GB 7200.11
It is all inside of a Antec 300 case, with two 120mm case fans added into the front

I was wondering if my system would be capable of handling a second 4870. I know that my motherboard and PSU could handle it, but I was worried that the 9850 would be too stressed to pull it off (I know that it has nothing on a Phenom II or an i7). Even if the CPU could handle it, would it still be likely to bottleneck the machine in newer games? Another question that I have is I would likely be able to OC a new 4870 to match my current one's clocks (MSI no longer makes that card, so I can't just get another one)? I already upped the fan to 35% on mine, and it barely reaches 60C in a hot room on a summer day. If I did that to a second card, would it increase my chances of getting those clocks?

If I need to, I am more that willing to OC my CPU to keep up if I end up getting a second 4870. Between my case and the hyper 212, it only runs about 35C under full load, in the same hot room, so how high would I be likely to OC it to if I need to, and would it be enough?

Thanks for the help! If any of these are stupid questions, please cut me some slack, because I'm only 15. I built this computer myself a year ago, and I really don't want to put more money into it if I won't get any results from it.

More about : computer handle 4870

August 2, 2009 4:25:23 AM

Unless you are running 2560x1600 with gobs of AA and AF and every detail maxed, a 2nd 4870 would give very little benefit. Sorry.
m
l
August 2, 2009 5:20:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to add the second 4870 so that I can play games that will come out in the future without a problem (like Command and Conquer 4, ect...). Did you mean just for the current games that are out now, or just in general?

I didn't post this at first, but I use an 1440x900 moniter, and I get about 35 FPS in World in Conflict on Windows 7, with EVERY setting maxed out. I just want to be able to continue to play new games with the settings like that.
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2009 5:35:01 PM

Your system can definitely handle a second 4870, but a larger monitor might be a more satisfying upgrade instead or also. If you CF your cards and buy a larger monitor and find that you are bottlenecking on that CPU, you already have a cooler that is suitable for overclocking that chip.
m
l
August 3, 2009 2:34:56 AM

Wayoffbase said:
Your system can definitely handle a second 4870, but a larger monitor might be a more satisfying upgrade instead or also. If you CF your cards and buy a larger monitor and find that you are bottlenecking on that CPU, you already have a cooler that is suitable for overclocking that chip.

Thanks for the answer!
m
l
!