Sign in with
Your question

Can't install 4gb of ram on Vista 64-Bit

Last response: in Systems
July 12, 2009 5:22:48 AM

Hey guys. For a couple months I've been running my computer with just 2gb of ram. Ever since I installed vista it wouldn't work with 4gb of ram. Both sticks are identical and the computer would boot with either one of them in as long as it was just one. Now when I try to boot with both sticks in I can't even get a signal on my monitor, but the computer is running. I've been trying to get memtest86 on a bootable disk, but I really don't know how lol :p . I have a blank CD-RW. When I insert it in the CD/DVD-RW drive it gives me the option to burn data files to it, but when I click this is automatically tries to format the disk and fails. Is there a free program I could use to burn files to the disk?

If the I can't get the cd to work I have some floppy disks lying around somewhere. I also heard that you could create a partition on your hard drive and put the memtest files on that and boot from that. The only thing is that when I go to the boot menu after I start my computer there isn't an option to boot from a particular partition.

I also have an OEM version of Vista 64-bit (Home basic sp1). My motherboard is an Asrock 4core1600twins-p35. Q9300 cpu, gtx 260graphics card, and 2 x 2gb 1066mhz ocz 5-6-6 RAM. I really don't think I need to do a memtest anyways though, I think I need to reinstall Vista with both sticks in. I tried to install it with 4gb before though and could never get it to work (before it even had an OS). If I did reinstall vista, could I back up my files on a separate partition and do a clean install on my C: drive?

By the way, I also tried to manually input the voltages and timings, 5-6-6 @2.14v. The manufacturers said to put it at5-6-6 @ 2.10v, but my BIOS only lets me pick 2.14 or like 2.06.

My computer gets really laggy when video editing and when running multiple applications. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated :]. Thanks guys
a b B Homebuilt system
July 12, 2009 7:44:47 AM

Are you saying that your PC worked with two sticks of RAM for a while before you installed Vista?

If you did both at the same time . . . Once you are at 2.14v, all you can try is loosening the timings, or try to find memory more compatible with your mobo. Or a mobo more compatible with your memory. Or a mobo that will work with two sticks installed.

If two sticks was working for a while before Vista, I'd look more to your psu as the problem. What psu and how old?

Vista has nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing.

m
l
July 12, 2009 9:53:57 AM

Twoboxer said:
Are you saying that your PC worked with two sticks of RAM for a while before you installed Vista?

If you did both at the same time . . . Once you are at 2.14v, all you can try is loosening the timings, or try to find memory more compatible with your mobo. Or a mobo more compatible with your memory. Or a mobo that will work with two sticks installed.

If two sticks was working for a while before Vista, I'd look more to your psu as the problem. What psu and how old?

Vista has nothing to do with the problem you are experiencing.

I seriously doubt its the psu.. it has been working fine ever since I had it. Anyways, its about 6 months old, coolermaster 1000w psu. It has a fan built in.

m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 12, 2009 10:09:50 AM

manually set everything in the bios - auto settings are 100% BS

post all your specs and run memtest and get us some results - test both sticks
m
l
July 12, 2009 1:39:20 PM

Since you're unable to get the motherboard to make it through POST with both sticks, it has nothing to do with what version of windows or any other OS you're using.

Very doubtful that this is a PSU fault, 2x2GB sticks shouldn't be pushing the memory phase(s) very hard since your motherboard can handle a density of 16GB in DDR2 mode. Your unit's problems could be from a variety of reasons: Memory incompatibility (try a BIOS update), faulty north bridge (try forcing single channel mode), or from a bad stick (run memtest on each stick individually and together if you can get it to POST with both sticks; also try alternating DIMMs). Playing with timings and voltages may of course fix a compatibility fault, but it is more a patch than a real fix as it can cause your RAM to run hot which will shorten it's lifespan (especially so since you don't have many choices it seems with memory voltages).

Simple steps: Update your BIOS, set memory to run in single channel mode, run memtest in the method mentioned.

Even after a BIOS update, there could still be memory incompatibility (if that is the true fault). I'd recommend trying out memory that is on the QVL for this particular motherboard.

Memtest should be downloadable in .ISO format. Search Google for a freeware image burner.

The lag you're experiencing is simply from running a 64-bit OS on 2GB of RAM. If you're frequently running heavy video editing software, I'd recommend at least 6GB of RAM, 8GB optimal - with x64 windows. During compression, most software will make use of all available CPU resources to speed up the process, this is avoidable by setting CPU affinity for the particular thread or if the application itself allows you to set a "throttle."

Personal opinion: if you're not going over 4.1GB total RAM (graphics card included), you would be much better off with a 32-bit OS.
m
l
July 12, 2009 1:51:35 PM

have you put the second dimm in the correct slot?
m
l
July 12, 2009 8:56:25 PM

@infyrno, Ok I'll try the memtests once I can figure out how to put the BOOT.CAT file on the bootable disk lol :p .

@helloworld_98, yes They are both in the correct slots.

I'm going to try memtests on each stick and together and then if that fails I will try it after updating the BIOS.

Thanks guys :].
m
l
July 13, 2009 2:57:42 AM

Ok, I ran memtest86 and there were no errors on the stick that is normally in my computer.

I can't run memtest86 on the other stick because when I boot up my computer with the stick in (in the same slot as the other stick was when I ran memtest86 on it) there is no display on my monitor, but the computer continues to run. It's obviously not the power supply if I'm putting the other identical stick in the exact same slot and I get this problem.

I am going to try to flash the bios and then see If I still have this problem.
m
l
July 13, 2009 1:54:07 PM

Could you stick be dead o.O?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 13, 2009 7:08:15 PM

Your reporting of your problem has changed significantly. From you 1st post:

"Both sticks are identical and the computer would boot with either one of them in as long as it was just one."

From your last post:

"I can't run memtest86 on the other stick because when I boot up my computer with the stick in (in the same slot as the other stick was when I ran memtest86 on it) there is no display on my monitor, but the computer continues to run."

Which is it?

If your last post is correct, the sticks obviously aren't identical - one doesn't work. Though there may be other issues, you need to fix that first.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 13, 2009 7:27:49 PM

123urpked said:
I seriously doubt its the psu.. it has been working fine ever since I had it. Anyways, its about 6 months old, coolermaster 1000w psu. It has a fan built in.

Do NOT rule out the PSU, even if it seems to be working fine. I had a system that would not work with all 4 sticks of memory, a hard drive that clicked and froze occasionally. Tried everthing for weeks, ended up just using 2x1gig. I could overclock the CPU from 2.4 to 3.2 ghz, and the rig would be completely stable for months with only 2 sticks of memory, but the drive still did the clicking thing off and on. One day the PSU just died.
Put in a new PSU, and I noticed the drive no longer made the clicking noise. Worked perfectly fine. I put the other 2 sticks of memory back in, bingo. Booted and worked perfectly. That has been over 8 months ago, and all is still working perfectly since the new PSU install.
Anyway, never rule out a PSU unless you are absolutley certain it is up to par. A bad PSU can make things act strange, even when other parts of the system work perfectly. I personally would be suspicous of a coolermaster, they are not exactly the best IMHO.
If all else you try fails, I WOULD start looking at your PSU.
m
l
July 13, 2009 7:46:03 PM

Quote:

123urpked wrote :

Do NOT rule out the PSU, even if it seems to be working fine. I had a system that would not work with all 4 sticks of memory, a hard drive that clicked and froze occasionally. Tried everthing for weeks, ended up just using 2x1gig. I could overclock the CPU from 2.4 to 3.2 ghz, and the rig would be completely stable for months with only 2 sticks of memory, but the drive still did the clicking thing off and on. One day the PSU just died.
Put in a new PSU, and I noticed the drive no longer made the clicking noise. Worked perfectly fine. I put the other 2 sticks of memory back in, bingo. Booted and worked perfectly. That has been over 8 months ago, and all is still working perfectly since the new PSU install.
Anyway, never rule out a PSU unless you are absolutley certain it is up to par. A bad PSU can make things act strange, even when other parts of the system work perfectly. I personally would be suspicous of a coolermaster, they are not exactly the best IMHO.
If all else you try fails, I WOULD start looking at your PSU.

same happened with me a new psu fixed it :sweat: 
m
l
July 13, 2009 9:31:01 PM

Twoboxer said:
Your reporting of your problem has changed significantly. From you 1st post:

"Both sticks are identical and the computer would boot with either one of them in as long as it was just one."

From your last post:

"I can't run memtest86 on the other stick because when I boot up my computer with the stick in (in the same slot as the other stick was when I ran memtest86 on it) there is no display on my monitor, but the computer continues to run."

Which is it?

If your last post is correct, the sticks obviously aren't identical - one doesn't work. Though there may be other issues, you need to fix that first.

Twoboxer, when I first was putting my computer together, either stick would work. After a while it just stopped working, but I don't know why. Maybe there is no signal on the monitor because of a graphics card driver issue, but I don't know how if the other one works. And yes they are identical.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 14, 2009 2:10:46 AM

OK, so your PC's ability to run with your memory has degraded over time. This is not a video card symptom, it points to a DIMM gone bad, a mobo problem, or a psu problem.
m
l
!