Sign in with
Your question

SSD question

Last response: in Storage
April 7, 2011 10:52:35 AM

I currently have 2x sas disks 15k in a raid 0

on a asusp6t motherboard (3gig sata port)

However they are quite noisy so i was gonna buy a OZC verdex 3 120gig ssd (sata3 6gig)

Would the SSD run ok just with lower speeds?

More about : ssd question

a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
April 7, 2011 12:23:04 PM

The Vertex 3 has read/write speed @~500MB/s. That is still less than even a SATA II 3GB port. I don't have any data that would indicate that you would 'see' that much difference.
a b G Storage
April 7, 2011 3:01:44 PM

The V3 would be excellent even though it would saturate the sata2 ports limit of about 285MB/s but would be a HUGE leap above those SAS drives with ultra low latency and HUGE multitasking ability.

I've got another workstation with 4 x 15k scsi's in R0 and even one SSD blows it away for the time saved through the average logged on session, although I still choose to run 2 SSD in R0.

Well worth the upgrade, IMO.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
April 7, 2011 8:22:04 PM

groberts101 said:
The V3 would be excellent even though it would saturate the sata2 ports limit of about 285MB/s but would be a HUGE leap above those SAS drives with ultra low latency and HUGE multitasking ability.

I've got another workstation with 4 x 15k scsi's in R0 and even one SSD blows it away for the time saved through the average logged on session, although I still choose to run 2 SSD in R0.

Well worth the upgrade, IMO.

I think the 285MB/s is the rate that a Vertex 2 would have, not the limit of the SATA2 ports. That is the same rate that a Vertex 2 would have even on a SATA3 port. I think in this case the SSD is the limiting factor, not the SATA port.
a b G Storage
April 7, 2011 10:49:44 PM

that's true but I was responding to the OP about the choice of Vertex 3.

and this response.
Quote:
"The Vertex 3 has read/write speed @~500MB/s. That is still less than even a SATA II 3GB port. I don't have any data that would indicate that you would 'see' that much difference".

sata2 will not reach 500MB/s since it is limited to 300MB/s with some overhead and losses bringing it even lower to about 285MB/s max speed. would take sata3 to get a V3 to really sing to its 550+MB/s limits.
a c 252 V Motherboard
a c 177 G Storage
April 7, 2011 11:38:05 PM

goosey54 said:
I currently have 2x sas disks 15k in a raid 0

on a asusp6t motherboard (3gig sata port)

However they are quite noisy so i was gonna buy a OZC verdex 3 120gig ssd (sata3 6gig)

Would the SSD run ok just with lower speeds?

You will be pleased with how much faster ANY ssd feels.
15k drives are not great performers in the typical desktop environment, and raid-0 is really not that helpful.
If you had a 6gb sata port, or were anticipating one, then the vertex 3 would be a good choice, at least whenever they appear in the marketplace.
On a 3gb sata port, look into the Intel 320 series, they are very good, and probably the best performers on a 3gb sata port. Cheaper too.
April 8, 2011 9:27:01 AM

Thanks alot, ill go ahead and buy a Verdex 3, then i can use it once i upgrade from x58 mobo to sandybridge, and still benefit from it now although its not at full speed
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
April 8, 2011 4:40:52 PM

You may as well get the cheaper Vertex 2. Why pay a premium for premium technology that you can't use? They'll both have the same performance on SATA II. If you're gonna get the Vertex 3, get a $20 PCI-e Sata III card.
!