New PC dead, please help!

nonstoprobot

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
System specs

OCZ 800W PS
WD 300GB Velociraptor
4GB(2x2GB) OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066 RAM
BioStar TA790GX A2+ (it has the 790gx graphics but they were disabled)
AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor
ASUS EAH4830/HTDP/512MD3 Radeon HD 4830 512MB
Antec Nine Hundred case

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alright, so this computer was running perfectly for the past 5 months ever since I overcame a problem with upgrading the bios via USB to account for the new type of processor. Yesterday I was simply just browsing the web and it shut off with no warning, no noises & no smells (worst nightmare I know).

If I look behind the PS the light is orange on the back of it, but when I press the power button it makes a very slight noise then turns red and does not turn on anymore. There is no lights at all on the motherboard either when the PS light is orange or read while plugged into the wall.

I occasionally would slightly OC the processor & graphics card but never pushed anything. The only thing that I can think of it's been especially humid in LA lately & I do have a cat and I haven't dusted in a few months in there but it wasn't that bad really.

Can anyone offer advice about what I should do first? Thank you in advance.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I think you already answered the question. Power goes to the power supply, but not to the MB. So it sounds like your PS has bit it. The only other option is the MB is fried, but it would more likely have given some other problems before quitting completely. If you have another computer you can borrow the PSU from to test you can confirm it. Otherwise I would replace the PSU first, and if that wasn't it, your motherboard is the only thing left.

steev08

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
EXACTLY the same as me mate, I have (had) a OCZ silentXtreme 800W PSU, no more than 8months old.

Working perfectly fine then it shut off, Looked at the back and its amber, turn the PC on and it turns red.

I have sent it back to microdirect and they sent it back to OCZ for RMA. Sent it back 29/5/09 and still waiting for it! Its definitely the PSU as i spoke to OCZ myself and unfortunately they said its a common problem with there 800w PSU :(

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
on the plus side there are quite a few gold certified power supplies on the market now (gold=90%+ average efficiency) and they are about the same cost as silver and non-certified... rma'ing computer components takes as long as mail-in rebates... you are lucky to ever see them. :(

wish a state would file a class-action suit, so it'd force them (via bad publicity) to keep it under 30days...

steev08

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah its really getting to me now!! over 6 weeks for a PSU i had 8 months? WTF! i can understand its got to be shipped to USA then back again but its still way to long!

I spoke to MD the other day about it and they said it should be at MD returns this coming week, it dam better be!