dynomite16

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Sorry I have no idea if this is a motherboard issue I just put it here.

Well I built my first PC booted it up went into bios just fine installed windows 7 just fine, and everything else was going just fine. (Other then it having a cpu fan error which I told it to just ignore because the fan was working properly.) Well I want to enter the bios again and it wont let me. When I start the computer it says press del to enter bios and I press it, I've tried holding it down nothing works.

This might be a two part question that someone might be able to answer. The reason I want to go into bios is my computer can't find my router I don't know if the port on my motherboard is broken or what. I'm connected to a public connection right now. When I pull the ethernet cord out of the router the light for that port stops flashing so its not the router or the cord. I can't connect to my connection. I read that I could maybe fix the problem in the bios..

Anyway an answer for any of these question would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

specs:
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78 Plus
CPU: AMD Phenom II 3.2 ghz
RAM: 2gb
Hard drives: 500gb sata 400gb sata
GFX: ati radeon x1800

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
where to begin......first, if you can't get into BIOS, you have issues.

second, that CPU fan error you decided to ignore.....I don't know that ignoring it is the best way to address that.

third, are you using an on-board network adapter or do you have an actual NIC?

Windows7 (which I know nothing about) I am sure has a Device Manager type interface where you can check the status of various system components, using that you should be able to locate your network adapter and verify it is working properly.

If no network adapter is shown, well then, that's your problem ;-) if that is the case and your board has an on-board NIC, you need to get into the BIOS to check that it is enabled.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
either your motherboard or you........I am not trying to be a jerk or anything I am just saying, if you can't access your BIOS, something ain't right.....whether that something is you or your motherboard I can't really say.

I really don't know what could prevent you from accessing the BIOS especially since you say you have accessed it before but bottom line, if you can't access it, something ain't right.

Maybe you need to follow the steps to clear CMOS, resetting your BIOS to it's defaults and then make whatever changes need to be made.....I hesitate to suggest that though as I am unfamiliar with your level of experience....