Sign in with
Your question

2500k / ASRock P67 Extreme 6 - Overclocking Help!

Last response: in Overclocking
July 29, 2011 11:38:53 PM

Equipment
CPU: Core i5 2500k
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme6 (updated to latest BIOS)
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card: HD 5770 + HD 5450 (for multiple screens)
Storage: 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200 RPM + 1TB Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Intro
I have been googling (and searching in these forums) for quite some time on this specific bios/motherboard. There doesn’t seem to be too much information out there, unless I’m just missing something. I’ve seen where others say it was very possible to get anywhere from 4.5 to even 4.8 24/7 stability for the 2500k on this motherboard. However, those posts don’t show what specific BIOS settings they have been using. I’ve been turning on/off my computer trying to guess what I should keep on for about two days now and I haven’t had much luck.
At first, I would either just get BIOS to POST, but couldn’t get past the Windows boot-up. Thankfully, I haven’t had to clear CMOS once yet. Then, I finally got it to boot Windows, but it would either freeze, shut-down, or BSOD when I was about to log-in to my Windows account. Now, I got it to boot at 4.5 but there are still a lot of things wrong with it.

It seems to be sticking at 4.5 at idle, as you can in the pics.

Here are the BIOS settings I have for this particular set-up:

VCore – this seems to be fluctuating on CPU-Z even when 100% usage on prime95, as you can see in the pics above
Load-line Calibration – I don’t see an option to disable this: it only allows me to set it to Level 1-5, and Auto:
Host Clock Override (BCLK) – I set this to 101Mhz because it wasn’t at a firm 100Mhz in CPU-Z even when it says so in BIOS; I read in other guides that people upped this to get a stable 100Mhz
PLL Overvoltage – I disabled this as suggested by many other guides. But there is also the option for CPU PLL Voltage underneath which is set to Auto. So, I’m not even sure if this is still on or not.
C1E, CPU C3/C6 State, CPU Thermal Throttling – I also disabled these as suggested by other guides.
RAM settings – I left these at auto for now; but the modules are rated at 9-9-9-24-2T (at Auto, I think they are using 9-9-9-24-1T as you can see in the pics)

I tried to put as much as effort into this post hoping someone could help me, and that maybe some others in the future could benefit from this as well. If anyone could help me with this, it would be much appreciated. I’m starting to get a headache.

I was using a P67A-UD3-B3 rev.1 before getting this “upgrade” and getting 4.8 stable at 65C, even though I didn’t have manual control of VCore. I wanted control of VCore and hoped I could get it higher and now I’m having second thoughts.
July 30, 2011 12:00:47 AM

So you had a motherboard before this one with a stable 4.8GHz OC, but it didn't allow adjustment of vCore(which means it was automatically adjusting the vCore for you) and you got a new motherboard with more options to tweak and now you're getting a lower stable OC. This is most likely caused by the motherboard.

OC can be finicky. Sometimes the CPU, sometimes the motherboard, sometimes the RAM. Sometimes it's dirty power from a bad PSU.

Seems you gambled on a better board and lost. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Last 2500k I OC'd was for a friends build and I didn't get too ambitious(4.2GHz) so I didn't really max out the OC to T/S your type of problem.
July 30, 2011 5:13:02 PM

Try this (for 4.5ghz):

v.core fixed mode 1.320v
PPL OVERVOLTAGE ENABLED
intel speed step DISABLED
Spectrum DISABLED
Load line calibration: Level 1
turbo boost powerlimit: Manual
Current limit 250
a b V Motherboard
a c 206 K Overclocking
July 30, 2011 5:58:27 PM

@jacosajh

First off a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ will only get you so far overclocking a 2500K, however it will get you as far as you got with the other motherboard.

Quote:
I’ve been turning on/off my computer trying to guess what I should keep on for about two days now and I haven’t had much luck.

I tried to put as much as effort into this post hoping someone could help me, and that maybe some others in the future could benefit from this as well. If anyone could help me with this, it would be much appreciated. I’m starting to get a headache.

I was using a P67A-UD3-B3 rev.1 before getting this “upgrade” and getting 4.8 stable at 65C, even though I didn’t have manual control of VCore. I wanted control of VCore and hoped I could get it higher and now I’m having second thoughts.

Looking over some of your BIOS settings you're stumbling close to my suggested setting in my guide in my sig, why don't you give that a try, seems you don't have anything to loose at this point.

Keep in mind overclocking by raising the multiplier is trail and error booting and rebooting to find the stable settings, if you get frustrated and get a headache, Quit, take a break and come back refreshed, the computer will take far more abuse than you can.

If you previously were at 4800mhz?
Try a 48X multiplier
At 1.415v, it may take more or less voltage you'll have to trial and error boot here and use. (fixed voltage)
Load Line Calibration set to level 1
Manually set your memory timings and voltage to specifications 9-9-9-24-2T except the memory speed, even though your memory is 1600 it was never tested to run at this multiplier level at that speed so set the memory speed to 1333mhz.
Use my guide in my sig for the rest of the settings regarding Intel.

Post your results back here. Ryan

!