Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I return this MSI mobo? And the rest...?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 5, 2010 6:12:38 PM

Good afternoon, all!

This build is the first time I'm building a computer from the ground up...and yet I'm not exactly doing that, since I'd like to use as much of the old computer as I possibly can. For anyone reading this that can help and give advice, I only ask that you provide a reason behind your opinions, hopefully with facts to support them. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! All of you in teh CPU and mobo sections were a huge help.

Here's what I'm on right now:

Dell XPS Generation 5:
Pentium D 3.0 MHz ('830', 130W)
2 GB DDR RAM @ 667 MHz (4x512MB DIMMs)
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 512 MB
WD Raptor 10K RPM 80 GB HDD
460W PSU (Dell, I'm not sure what else I can tell you about this)
Many, Many fans
Huge Pentium D heatsink
DVD-RW
DVD-ROM
Media Card Reader
Soundblaster sound card
TV tuner

I got for Christmas:
$100 Fry's Gift card
Intel x-25 G2 SSD 80 GB

What I just bought with the GC, plus out of pocket:
MSI 790 GX-G65 AM3 mobo ($125 + tax)
AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE ($120 + tax)
Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2GB) DDR3 @ 1600 (sale- $90 + tax)
AS Arctic Alumina Ceramic Poly Thermal Compound ($4.20)
2.5-3.5" bay converter for SSD ($5)

What I know/Pretty sure about, but can check if needed:
Case fits ATX Mobo
PSU has all needed connecters for Graphics Card and everything in current system, but I don't know if it was straining it.
Pentium D is 130 W, X3 is 95 W... PSU should be fine, right?

What I want to do:
I play games, though usually not the newest
I love tinkering, and I have never overclocked before, and I'd like to try
I want it to run stable-y at stock, but have the OC option

Questions:
1) Is the 460W PSU enough? Dell made a 650W for this case I can get for $100, but I'd prefer not to
2) Do I need the termal compound I bought? Is the stock good enough?
3) If I'm trying to OC, do I need any more cooling than the Gen 5 case provides? there are a LOT of fans! including specific ones for the CPU and the PSU
4) Will this RAM, Mobo, and CPU fit into my plans? I heard they are all good for overclocking, and pretty good quality for the prices. I'd prefer not to spend much more, if any, but I can always take them back and start anew. the RAM says it's "made for i5," is that bull?
5) Besides the x16 --> x8 x8 issue on this mobo and the cramped space for the RAM...is there any reason I should not use this mobo? what about the 790FX?
6) The current heatsink is huge and dissapated the Pentium D's monsterous heat output...should I use that in lieu of the Phenom II stock heatsink? It also fits into the nice Dell case pretty well, too, with 2 fans to cool just the CPU
7) All the other components (DVD-RW, DVD, media card, Graphics, Sound, TV tunder, even the old HDD as a second drive) I'd like to still use...are my power inputs enough? any issues?
8) Anything else anyone can think of that I haven't covered? Please help! I want to make sure all my i's are dotted and t's crossed before I open everything up and start! Thank you so much!

More about : return msi mobo rest

Best solution

a c 435 V Motherboard
January 5, 2010 7:40:40 PM

Don't return the board or cpu. Instead, ditch the dell case. It may be a btx format, which means the new board won't install. Btx cases have the motherboard ports on the wrong side. Can't be easily modified. Instead, go to frys.com and order the antec 300 case for $49.99 and antec 650 earthwatts power supply which shows up as $59.99 when you add it to your cart. Both these items are quality items that will last for years, and frys.com gives you free ground shipping for both items, which newegg can't match. So, be patient and wait for these items to arrive. And sell off the dell case and ps on craigslist for around $50.
January 5, 2010 8:19:37 PM

o1die said:
Don't return the board or cpu. Instead, ditch the dell case. It may be a btx format, which means the new board won't install. Btx cases have the motherboard ports on the wrong side. Can't be easily modified. Instead, go to frys.com and order the antec 300 case for $49.99 and antec 650 earthwatts power supply which shows up as $59.99 when you add it to your cart. Both these items are quality items that will last for years, and frys.com gives you free ground shipping for both items, which newegg can't match. So, be patient and wait for these items to arrive. And sell off the dell case and ps on craigslist for around $50.

I'm 95% sure from my reasearch that this specific Dell case is ATX. I'll take it apart and see tonight or tomorrow night, but if it's ATX, I'd rather keep it and not spend the extra money. if it turns out that I need the 650W PSU, I won't buy the $100 PSU, but rather, I'll probably look at the case and PSU you just mentioned. Thanks!
!