Desktop video issues?

adept_to_adapt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
ive been using my computer today and now all of a sudden my desktop is on the fritz.

my icons rarely move when i drag them, and most of the time they just sit there. i can rarely click and drag my mouse across the desktop and draw the square. also, when my windows are minimized, it is VERY difficult the drag them around, for they skip and drag. i've defragged today and reinstalled my motherboard drivers hours before this all happened. i have also tried turning of my dual monitors in my nvidia control panel.

i have NO clue what could be causing this. i was thinking videocard but i have no idea why it would be acting up right now.

please help, i cant do crap right now :(

videocard: EVGA 9800gtx+ SC

adept_to_adapt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
1) i installed motherboard drivers because my ethernet port was acting up.

2) bad mice dont cause visual errors like tearing

3) i installed new video drivers. now when i get to the login screen my monitor goes into stand by. so i tried it again. now my computer wont even start because i have "corrupt file" that new driver really screwed up my machine. i cant repair from my XP disx cause of the ntdll.dll or something error, i dont remmeber.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
ntldr.dll is missing?
This I've seen too many times....usually caused by a virus or some malicious code that's been run on the machine.
In the past I've usually had to re-install the os because the system won't even allow you to get to the repair screen.
ps. you didn't mention tearing up in your post above....so, I could only go by what you described and I've had lots of mice that when they are going south exibit the erratic movements and not being able to "rope" objects for dragging,etc.
Hopefully you don't have alot of important files on the system so you could format the drive and re-install win xp.
Hope this helps.