yell04boy

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I plan to overclock a 3.2ghz Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition to 3.7ghz. Will I need to do anything with the ram? Should I need to increase voltage or would stock voltage be ok for 3.7ghz

cuecuemore

Distinguished
You may be able to hit 3.7 on stock volts, but don't worry if you can't. If it's not stable you can bump your voltage up to 1.37 or so and it will be good, but don't overvlot if you don't have to. I'd use the BIOS, I've heard bad things about Overdrive but maybe that's all made up, it's moot to me. You should make sure that your RAM doesn't get clocked too high and prevent your system from booting, but your RAM settings won't change at all if you're just using the multiplier.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Use BIOS to OC....you can get 3.7 GHz easy with just a slight multi increase to x17...the chip is more than capable...Forget about changing the FSB....just change the CPU multi in BIOS to 3.7 GHz disable cool-n-quiet and C1E also then boot it up....In windows set your power profile to High Performance....You will not have to worry about RAM settings when your just increasing the CPU multi....it has no effect on RAM clock speed or timings, it also doesn't effect the NB or HT...So thats why its so easy to OC a Black Edition CPU ...No need to worry about anything else except the CPU multiplier and vcore voltage to OC....

Yell04boy_02

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Is there a multiplier change function in the bios though? Or do I use and overdrive and change multiplier to 17x then get the info and go to boils and change it to what I saw from and overdrive? Is 3.7 the highest without changing stock core?

yell04boy

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
The motherboard's a MSI 870S-G46 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard.
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130590).
So I can just change the multiplier in the BIOS. After changing the multiplier in the BIOS, I would have to start up my computer and run the stress test from windows? how would I tell that I need to increase voltage?

OC need step by step, don't be hurry, for beginner I suggest read guide first : www.tomshardware.com/forum/258573-29-black-edition-overclock-guide-raising-multiplier
In the guide different with your motherboard but same as way to do overclock BE. after read the guide, then you will know the various things that need to be prepared as software tools or ways oc. Just suggest