Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help a newbie with heat sink & case fans!

Last response: in Overclocking
July 31, 2011 2:29:58 AM

Hello everyone,

I am sort of a newbie in the area of case fans. I have two computers that I am looking to replace 1 broken 120mm fan, and add a 120mm side panel fan in.

The case in question is the Antec Nine Hundred (just the plain 'ol 900). One fan went out in each case, and with temps in our area at 100F+ each day the GPU & CPU seem to be getting pretty hot. I am using SpeedFan to monitor the temps on both computers.

Computer 1: System Temp around 93F

E8400 @ 3.0ghz cpu - Temps at 100-110F
ASUS ENGTS250 DK/DI/1G GeForce GTS 250 1GB - Temps at 110-125F

Computer 2: System Temp around 99F

i7-940 Bloomfield 2.93GHz cpu - Temps at 133-150F (Obviously, I need a non-stock cooler!)
EVGA 01G-P3-1380-KR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB - Temp from 95-105F
Asus Sabertooth x58 mobo

Here is what I would like to know:

1. Which of my case fans should be intake/exhaust? I think right now they might all be pulling air into the case only. With the exception of the gpu & psu fans which blow out the back.

2. How do you install air filters on the fans? We have cats, and live in an old house with swamp coolers, so dust is really an issue! Can anyone recommend a good brand/supplier for these?

3. Any suggestions on the CPU fan? I was looking at getting this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2) OR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (Hyper 212+)

Of course, any other advice you can offer on this subject is welcome. :) 

Edit:

While checking Comp #2 with speedfan, we noticed that the NB is running at 130F (54C) is this too hot, and if so, what can be done about it?

Best solution

July 31, 2011 3:56:55 AM

You won't find a better price/performance combo than these fans Yate Loon's at Dangerden - click me

They are great air movers and cheap. If you think they will be too loud, can get some of the lower rpm version from the same store.
July 31, 2011 4:35:41 AM

elrui said:
You won't find a better price/performance combo than these fans Yate Loon's at Dangerden - click me

They are great air movers and cheap. If you think they will be too loud, can get some of the lower rpm version from the same store.

I checked around abit using Google for the fan that you recommended, and it does seem pretty good. Thank you very much! :D 
m
l
Related resources
July 31, 2011 4:47:18 AM

dmetria said:
I checked around abit using Google for the fan that you recommended, and it does seem pretty good. Thank you very much! :D 

No Problem, Danger Den is a great store too, I messed up my shipping info and they re-shipped it same day for me (even gave me the whole sale shipping price the second time and saved me a couple bucks.) Awesome people there.
m
l
July 31, 2011 7:54:40 PM

I am still looking for info on the questions posted above. I want to order the heatsink at the same time as the case fans, so I really need opinions on if those two heatsinks will be good for my processor.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 31, 2011 8:28:09 PM

The Hyper 212+ is hands down the better of those two coolers....Its the best air cooler you can get IMO
m
l
August 1, 2011 10:52:50 PM

Best answer selected by dmetria.
m
l
August 1, 2011 10:54:52 PM

lowjack989 said:
The Hyper 212+ is hands down the better of those two coolers....Its the best air cooler you can get IMO

Thank you for your info. I was a bit confused because the Arctic warranty is straightforward, but I could not find any info on the warranty for the CoolerMaster, even on their site.

If I could select two best answers, I would! :kaola: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2011 10:57:24 PM

Its all good......
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2011 3:12:41 AM

It's a chunk of metal. Not much need for a warranty. And the fans are replaceable and don't cost much. At $30, I don't care if it comes with no warranty.
m
l
August 2, 2011 3:13:16 AM

There are a lot of general rules out there for case fans. In general you want a consistent air flow direction. Generally this means that fans in the front or bottom blow air into the case while fans at the back or top blow air out. If you have fans blowing right at each other then you are not going to get as good an air flow.

Most people feel that you should try to balance the amount of air going in and out. If you have two fans blowing in then there should be two blowing out. If there is an imbalance there should be slightly more air going in. This is so any leaks are out and not sucking dust in.

The side panel fan normally blows cold air directly onto the graphics card. Many people have reported, and I can agree, that the side fan can mess with the case air flow giving unexpected results. It can make temperatures worse!

Following the above advice will give good results. You can fine tune the results by experimenting with different air flow directions. I recently changed my rear 120mm fan to blow in and the CPU temperatures dropped as it was getting cold air directly into the CPU area. There is a 140mm fan right above it that handles exhaust just fine. I think I took a degree hit on the hard drives but that is minor.

New cases are starting to come with fan filters. Silverstone makes filters that screw on over the fan. I epoxied magnets on mine so I can easily remove it for cleaning. I know what you mean about the dust; I have cats and birds.

Your case supports a lot of fans. Hard to see how loosing one of them would cause it to overheat that much. With that top 200mm exhausting I would start with all the other fans blowing in. It is not really how many fans in or out but their air flow (CFM).

If you are running speedfan then there is no excuse for your system overheating. Check out the "events" configuration. You can have it beep, popup messages, or issue a shutdown if the temperatures get too hot. My system runs 24x7 so I need it to look after itself.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2011 5:03:06 AM

@blinding--->Wow....Welcome Newcomer...Helluva, lot of info you put in that post...your info is correct though....so, right on
m
l
August 2, 2011 7:39:32 AM

Hey guys, take a look at this airflow picture for me.

This is for Comp #2 from the info above.

The picture shows rear fan installed on the bottom HDD cage, but I would probably move that to the middle, as shown by the yellow arrow.

As far as air filters, I was going to get the Decmiflex filters made specifically for the Antec 900 case. I would need to clean the filters often, and having the ability to just slap them onto the outside of the case is really attractive!
m
l
August 3, 2011 1:54:21 AM

4745454b said:
It's a chunk of metal. Not much need for a warranty. And the fans are replaceable and don't cost much. At $30, I don't care if it comes with no warranty.

Some people do care about the reputation of companies, and the warranty. It is important to me. Not everyone can just run out and purchase replacement items, even if it is only $30.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2011 1:56:30 AM

Its a chunk of metal, whats to replace? As long as you get all the parts to attach it, there really isn't anything to break on a sink. Even if the fins get bent, you can just bend them back. A heat sink isn't something you should worry about buying, even used. Just find one that has the performance you want and go.
m
l
August 3, 2011 2:38:22 AM

4745454b said:
Its a chunk of metal, whats to replace? As long as you get all the parts to attach it, there really isn't anything to break on a sink. Even if the fins get bent, you can just bend them back. A heat sink isn't something you should worry about buying, even used. Just find one that has the performance you want and go.

I wanted help, not someone to argue with. You haven't contributed anything helpful, but other people have.

Have a nice day.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 3, 2011 4:04:54 AM

I was trying to help you by reassuring you that because its just a chunk of metal there is nothing to worry about. If you can't see that, I'm sorry. As you hinted at, I'll go away, good luck with your build. I'll be sure to not offer any help to you in the future.
m
l
!