After BIOS Upgrade Machine Hangs to "USB Overcurrent... and then Shuts

tantavevus

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Hi everyone. I am new here.

I hope to be a contributor in the future. However at present I have an issue that is driving me crazy. Maybe someone on here could point me in the right direction.

Here is my description of the issue:

I have a Velocity Micro Pro Magix E2215 with an Asus P5N-E SLI mobo.

It was working perfectltyt. I upgraded bios. Machine starts up hangs at the splash screen for a minute then says "USB overcurrent Detected, machine will shut down in 15 seconds. Then it shuts down.

I tried to clear the cmos memory , that didn't work.

There seems to be nothing else I can do since I am locked out of the system.

Theere are a lot of similar threads on the internet about this issue. Some people find a solution, some don't.

It would be easy to replace the mobo, but will that solve the problem?

Is the error message erroneous and have nothing to do with a USB issue, but caused by corruption of the bios/processor/cmos/or mobo, by a bad bios upgrade?

Some people have had sucess for some reason by disconnecting there front USB ports, I will try that,

However if that doesn't work, should I go ahead and get a new motherboard?

I am not sure how to proceed.

Any suggestions would be a great help. This is one of those crazy issues that you wind up spending hours and hours on until you hopefully find an answer.

thanks
Ira Seigal

Solution
At this point I'd replace the motherboard.

A bad flash probably caused the issue. You can't have a USB short if nothing is connected, unless the motherboard went bad exactly when you flashed the BIOS. Is it still under warranty?

tantavevus

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

Thank you for responding. I was upgrading the BIOS upon reccommendation of the MFR of the PC Velocity Micro. I had wanted USB to enable on startup, and they said that would do it.

That being said as of now I can't get into the machine to do anything.

I have been troubleshooting it with no USB dev9ices attatched, and a PS/2 keyboard and mouse. Still doesn't work. I can go inside and disconnect all of the built in USB ports from the motherboard, if you think that might help. People have reported that this problem was solved specifically by disconnecting the front panel USB Ports, both of which of mine are not working for some time since a child, got in there and pushed something in those two ports. I could easily think that was the cause, but then whuy was the machibne working OK before the bios upgrade?

Do you have and ideas or suggestions?

thanks Again
Ira

tantavevus

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

Sounds like a good idea. Can't hurt.

If that doesn't solve the problem, even after every single internal USB port has been disabled, I will try the other stuff I suggested.

Can you give me an idea if I am on the right track with that?

However I am going to try what you suggested.

thanks
I will let you know what happens.

Ira

tantavevus

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

The only other internal usb devices are the other ports the computer came with, and a card reader, that has a USB Port on it, although I already tried disconnecting it.

As far as sending the MB back to velocity Micro, I can do that , but all that will take time. I want to get the machine running already. I probably will do something like that. Buit in the meantime I want use of the machine back.

I was thinking of trying to roll back the bios by setting the jumber on the mobo to clrrtc, removing the battery, putting a bootcd with the old bios in the drive and starting it up again. would that possibly work?

tantavevus

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
By the way thank you for trying to advise me on this. I am nothing more than an educated novice.

Any, I believed that the USB Eoor was erroneous, caused by a failed bios upgrade.

Are you fairly certain that the USB message is probably valid?

tantavevus

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I didn't flash it from windows, but I began the flash process in windows. I ran the utility I got from Velocity Micro, it told me to put a balnk cd in the drive, it wrote the bios file to it, automatically rebooted the machine, and did the flash in dos. Then there was a messaage that the flash was in prograess, I didn't touch anything. Then it finished, and rebooted, when it came back up, the error message was there after the Bios Screen hung for about a minute, not letting me do anything.

thats what happenned.

tantavevus

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
One more thought. The mother board can be easily replaced. Would that just be easier, to get this over with. The new board would have a fresh bios.

I see no reason why the machine wouldn't just come up. I could check before hand for naything that could be causing a short, (USB Portsd, etc). If that doesn't work, I am very tempted to just say the heck with it and put in a new MOBO. Tjhe Old mobo is an ASUS P5N-E SLI, The newer board is the P5ND SLI.

tantavevus

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

Again, I want to thank you for all your valuable input, The techs at my company are looking at it now, I am going to have them disconnect the bad front usb ports to see if that fixes it, if not, I am going to replace the motherboard. We could try a Bios recovery procedure, which I may have them do.

But most liekly I will just replace the motherboard, and be much more careful with bios upgrades in the future. Lesson learned.

Thanks again and I am choosing your input as the best answer.

thanks Again
Ira

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
I know it's been answered - but I got the exact same message due to a bent 'pin' in one of the USB sockets causing a short (caused by inserting a memory key slightly wrong)... Give them a visual check, and if you see something odd try to bend pins so they no longer touch.

tantavevus

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

Thanks I am going to truy that now, I have two bad front mounted USB ports, I tried to put something in there the wrong way and damaged them both. That was a while ago, and they have given me no trouble as long as I don't use them.

It is the only thing left to try before I replace the motherboard.

I will let you know what happens.

Ira

tantavevus

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

I just wanted to say thank you again for supporting me on this issue. This is a great forum.

I am happy to say THE PROBLEM IS FINALLY SOLVED!!!!!!

It was my bad front USB ports, as soon as I disconencted them the machine, running the new bios, came up!

It's interesting, because the machine was giving me no trouble, with the old BIOS. As you said maybe the newer BIOS is more sensitive to USB Overcurrents.

Aslo FYI for anyone who has had this problem. The web is filled with USB Voltage problems like this, and about 90% of them are with an ASUS BIOS, or motherboard.

Asus seems to have acknowledged this somewhat, a little begrudgingly.

Just FYI.

Thanks again.

Ira

TRENDING THREADS