Sign in with
Your question

Poor memory performance with an EP45 UD3R

Last response: in Motherboards
January 6, 2010 3:06:49 AM

I'm running an e7200 wolfdale @3700mhz I just built this up and ran some stress tester/benchmarks and noticed the super pi was really slow 1M took 32s I've run this cpu in a different board and seems like it was around 20s(possibly in the teens).

I ran my e5200 (@3550mhz) in this board as well and had the same slow super pi. both of these did much better on my EP43. Tested in WinXP and Win7 I tried the memory benchmark with Everest@Home it was low as well. 3Dmark seems quite low but I'm using an older video card so not quite sure about this benchmark. I realize super pi is not the end all test but I've used it for years and always found it helpful when looking at memory performance.

I installed Intel chipset drivers but no difference was seen. I have the memory set at default(5-5-5-15 390mhz same as other board) I've reset the bios to optmized defaults and searched the bios for a setting that could be holding back the memory but no luck.

Any ideas what I'm missing here? Any test or benchmarks I can try so you can see how it scores?
a b } Memory
a c 156 V Motherboard
January 6, 2010 3:29:08 AM

What does CPU-Z say your FSB:memory clock ratio is?
Is your memory clock multiplier on AUTO? If it is, set it to 2.00. Then your memory clock freq will be twice the FSB freq. And CPU-Z Memory tab should say that you are running 1:1.

In a Core2 system, overclocking memory just doesn't get you that much.
Overclocking RAM:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth
m
l
January 6, 2010 3:39:55 AM

multiplier is set on 2.00B(never understood the XXA,XXB,XXC,XXD thing) cpu-z does show 1:1 on the mem tab
m
l
Related resources
January 6, 2010 9:13:57 AM

The Ep45 Board is DDR3 So those Speeds Look Clocked Down.
Check your Ram You have Installed, Also Set you Ram To Std to See What Performance you get out of that.

:heink: 
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 156 V Motherboard
January 6, 2010 11:26:34 AM

EP45-UD3R uses DDR2.

EP45T-UD3R uses DDR3.

If you have a "T" model, the timing rules are a little different.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 6, 2010 12:37:10 PM

The 'A,B,C,D' things are the "MCH Frequency Latches" which we mostly refer to as a 'strap': the 'straps' are sets of northbridge timings - much like memory latencies, the faster you go, the 'looser' the timings have to be... There are four straps, corresponding to the Intel FSB ratings: 200 (800FSB), 266 (1066FSB), 333 (1333FSB), and 400 (1600FSB); each strap has its own set of available memory multipliers (ratios). The multipliers, although expressed as decimal numbers, are not - they are integer bus dividers, and only certain ones are available on each strap:
m
l
January 8, 2010 1:51:17 AM

Thanks for the info on the MCH Frequency Latches. Could there be a problem with the memory controller on the board? Seems to work fine other than the extremely slow mem performance.

Can someone who has this board with a similar dual core cpu run the 1m super pi and post there time?
m
l
May 1, 2011 8:35:38 PM

I realize I'm a year late to this thread. but you've got weird numbers.

I have the EP45-UD3R and e8400 and at stock 3ghz got 15s in super pi 1M, which is about as fast as you can get at stock. I had 333mhz ddr2 with 8:5 ratio.

Yes, your numbers seem off. Possible reason for this is EP45-UD3R is picky with memory. Either update to latest bios, or get ram that is qualified to work with this board. That should work. If not, make sure ur in dual channel mode or switch from yellow to the red slots.

@jsc yes overclocked memory for core 2 doesn't yield anything. however overclocked FSB + faster memory gives u a little tangible speed boost.
m
l
!