First Liquid Cooling Build & Overclock

natefish

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
This was my first time putting together a liquid cooling system, and overclocking my CPU. My goal was 4.0Ghz for every day use, so 100% stable. I purchased one of the XSPC Rasa 360's for my liquid kit. Nothing too advanced, but I will be upgrading the pump and res soon. Probably going to go with Danger Den stuff.

Anyways I currently have my processor (AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE) at 4.0Ghz. It has been running Prime95 with no issues for about 12 hours now. Idle was around 29C and 100% load temps are hitting 40-41C most of the time, with a max temp of 42c. I always expected overclocking to be a challenge, and honestly this was easy for me. So I'm a bit worried I may have done something wrong that could be screwing up my CPU.

All I did for the 4.0Ghz OC was up my multiplier to 20.0 and then started playing with the voltage until I got it to be stable. Looks like the sweet spot was 1.5v. Although in CPU-Z it is showing 1.424 V. I didn't change any of the other settings like the HT Link or NB/SB clocks/voltages.

Does this seem OK for an overclock? Do I need to do something like lower the CPU voltage and play with the other settings (afraid I'm putting too much through the CPU)? At the same time as being worried about it, I see the temps are in a perfectly good range. It just feels like one of those "too good to be true" situations, with how easy it was to actually do this. So I'm a bit concerned.

Any help, advice, or comments are appreciated.