Best dual-display graphics card setup

Looking for advice on the best solution for dual display gaming/other. My board supports SLi x16 and I've currently got dual 8800 GTSs running in regular (non-SLi) mode and while I can get 60 fps running WoW in FS with one monitor enabled, as soon as I turn on windowed mode and fire up the second screen, I fall to 15-20fps and if I actually run anything like an HD .avi with VLC, I'm lucky to keep 10fps (and will occasionally hard lock).

Is there a sub $500 solution that will keep my framerates acceptable and not crash? Or am I asking too much?

System is currently running Win7 RC 64 bit w/4gb ram (although performance was similar with Vista 32 bit utilizing as much of the 4gb as it would see).

Thoughts?
6 answers Last reply
More about best dual display graphics card setup
  1. You ask for the best then you limit it to sub 500.00?
  2. Well, how about the best and the best sub 500 ;)
  3. If you don't have a good PSU, first get a:
    $150 for a Corsair 850watt @ Newegg

Then you can go for two GTX260s.

Make sure you have a good CPU (good Ghz Core2Duo or Quad core)
  4. You still think dual mid cards is better than a nearer high-end card considering the dual displays? They haven't fixed SLi to support duals yet, have they?
  5. Well if you only have 2 slots the best possible would be 2 gtx 295. Best sub 500 would probably be 2 275's if you can find each for under 250.
  6. If you're not running them in SLI, a good single card would probably work best for you. While the 8800GTS isn't exactly a current card, its no slouch either. I'm wondering if its something in your configuration. Sounds like you have some sort of a bottleneck somewhere. You should be able to run 2 instances of WoW. Its not a very graphics demanding game. I certainly don't think you need to drop $500 till you really know what the problem is.

Try removing one of the cards. Assuming the 8800GTS has connections for 2 monitors. Otherwise, try running 2 instances on one card on a single monitor. You might also try the WoW forums.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Displays