Admin rights being lost on win XP pro SP3. updates? bios ?

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Hi,

I have a strange problem with loosing some of the admin rights on my default (and only ) admin system account on HP 6930p winXP Pro (genuine CD from HP) freshly installed and upgraded to SP3 and all latest updates (no messing with registry etc.) I have an administrator account but I'm loosing the rights during the logged session !! - I cannot do many things like adding auto-run programs on start-up, runinng checkdisk for partitions, missing access to hardware temp. sensors ...it seems random when it happens (like few minutes after system start or 20 etc. and also random what rights are lost (looks like most at a time but not all )

When I log in to the default hidden administrator account it seems to be allright

This is madness! I was about to make a system backup when everything was already installed, set-up etc (manyyy hours...)

I thought this might be related to bios? did reset all security bios setting and loaded defaults, but no luck :(

and I have to say this: I HATE YOU MICROSOFT !!!

Have your done a virus or trojan scan? If your system was connected to the net before you installed an antivirus, a virus may have got in. If you're sure it's not infected, try resetting the default security file and registry permissions with Subinacl. The process is simple, download and install Subinacl and next run the reset.cmd file... the default security permissions will be restored to defaults..

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-the-registry-and-the-file-permissions-in-windows-xp/

winh8r

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009

so far looks like it helped !! (the "MicrosoftFixit50198" fix stated as "automated fix for the problem" from the link provided in that article, not the secedit command - that didn't help, haven't tried the subinacl program)
wasn't sure for some time, but now I think enogh time passed to check it because the symptoms were that I was loosing the rights during the login session not right from the start (and that was strange, especially when no viruses/malware detected, only trusted programs and drivers that I was always using)

you've made the day!! Many thanks!! :)

The MicrosoftFixit50198 contains the Secedit command which achieves the same results as Subinacl but apparently works in a different way. It's included in Windows XP in the System32 folder and can be executed from the Command Prompt: Start\Run\type; CMD and hit Enter\type or copy paste this: "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose" (no quotes) and hit Enter. There's no need to download anything.. I didn't mention it because Subinacl is supposed to be better, but apparently it isn't.

Glad to help if only partially.