Your question

Looking to upgrade my RAM

Last response: in Motherboards
January 6, 2010 7:23:14 AM

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!

Current rig:
Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
Core 2 Duo e6300 1.8ghz (currently OC'd to 3.2ghz)
Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
2x1gb OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum Dual Channel 800mhz (OCZ2P8002GK)
Ultra X2 550w - Link

Not really familiar with RAM and Mobos but I originally was going to just pick up another pair of my current ram but I've read that using all 4 DIMMs = Bad idea.

Looking to spend around $100 CAD

Thanks!

More about : upgrade ram

a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2010 8:19:39 AM

^ Yes populating all 4 DIMMS would make the RAM run slower...
I would suggest you sell those 2x1GB kit and get a 2x2GB kit...Am sure it would work out within your budget...
January 6, 2010 11:41:23 AM

You didn't mention your operating system?

Definately go for a 4GB kit (2x2GB).

Having all your memory slots filled isn't a bad thing at stock speeds, but I do see you are overclocked a fair amount and I do agree that when overclocking you can run into stability issues using all memory slots available.
Related resources
January 6, 2010 6:17:14 PM

Oh sorry, forgot to mention I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit).

I'm just confused with the different speeds... like PC6400, PC8000, etc. Not sure how that will affect my overclocking.

Just looked around a few sites and it seems that around $75 won't be enough. Seems that I should be aiming more towards the $100 range... but at that price point should I just go with DDR3 + new mobo & cpu? - a new rig in general I suppose.

Thanks for all the advice so far. :) 
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2010 2:00:32 AM

^ If you want a decent CPU + MOBO + RAM, then you would have to spend far more than $100...
January 7, 2010 2:13:22 AM

gkay09 said:
^ If you want a decent CPU + MOBO + RAM, then you would have to spend far more than $100...

Sorry if I was being unclear but what I meant was if I was going to spend to the upwards of $100, I might as well fork out the rest of the $500-$600 for a new rig. What I mean is I can't justify spending around $100 on something that I won't be using when I put together a new rig.

Anyways... it seems that I was pretty ignorant with memory pricing. I will be looking at $100ish now. In fact I was eyeing this just a few minutes ago: G.Skill 8000CL5D-4GBPQ

Just have to track them down now.
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2010 3:10:18 AM

^ Yes...even I understand that...DDR2 memories were very cheap(you could get a 4GB kit for about $50 before few months...) but have shot up suddenly...
And that RAM is a good option...
And I dont see that you would need a new rig for regular usage as the components that you currently have are powerful enough...
And as you will be using a 32-bit OS, dont expect to see full 4GB...For a 32-bit OS, you will get about ~3.5GB usable RAM...
January 7, 2010 3:14:31 AM

gkay09 said:
^ Yes...even I understand that...DDR2 memories were very cheap(you could get a 4GB kit for about $50 before few months...) but have shot up suddenly...
And that RAM is a good option...
And I dont see that you would need a new rig for regular usage as the components that you currently have are powerful enough...
And as you will be using a 32-bit OS, dont expect to see full 4GB...For a 32-bit OS, you will get about ~3.5GB usable RAM...

Well I do feel that my current mobo+cpu is holding my gpu back but not significantly where a new rig is in order. I'll probably install the 64-bit version of Wins 7 after I get new ram.

a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2010 3:29:56 AM

^ That will be good and glad I could help... :) 
!