Newbie former Mac person wants to build an i7 system for 1600

baneVader

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Hi,
I am an autocad engineer and right now I have an AMD phenom ll I got at FRY's for about 600 complete. It has 8 gig ram and I think it has a cheap graphics card, it's in an HP case with a lot of cool ports and stuff. Anyway, I don't like the performance when I have a lot of stuff going in autocad. I sometimes have 5 gig task going when loaded up. It redraws slowly and loads additional stuff (xref's for those of you who know) too slowly. Plus somebody in the company has a faster set-up and that hurts me a lot. Help.

I have money and am ready now. I can spend whatever it takes, but I will sacrifice performance for value. I don't want to pay a huge premium for the latest greatest. I think 16-1800 should get me something cool, plus the display

remember I don't know *** from shinola so don't even talk to me about overclocking (unless it's easy lol)

BUDGET RANGE: 2K plus display (30" sounds cool)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Intensive 3D and Autocad vector based application and rendering, probably similar to graphic intensive games

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I need everything

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: any, but I live in Cali so Newegg charges tax there

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm thinking i7 for sure

OVERCLOCKING: don't know

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I think I'm spoiled by Apple cinema display because I set it at 800x600 stretched and I don't have to wear my reading glasses, looking for something that can handle various resolutions like that if possible

I don't necessarily care what it looks like, I like DVD write and lightscribe, looking for a quiet but cool assembly, energy efficient if possible. Extra slots to add a few things.

I appreciate any help. Thanks

r_manic

Administrator
Hey bane, what are the complete specs of your system now? Maybe you can due an upgrade or two, and it's probably that there's a bottleneck somewhere in your system. Could be the processor, could be the RAM, or even the motherboard, so until we get details it's a bit hard to help you.

baneVader

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

Thanks for your reply, I don't want to upgrade the HP with the Phenom ll because I want to use it for company and my roommate. But here are the specs:

here's a url for the specs
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=hp+m9400f&oe=UTF-8&cid=766093524123743242&os=tech-specs#p

and here they are from that website, and I checked it against the receipt and it is true:
Type AMD Phenom X4 9750 / 2.4 GHz
Multi-Core Technology Quad-Core
64-bit Computing Yes
Installed Qty 1
Max Supported Qty 1
Cache Memory
Type L2 cache
Mainboard
Chipset Type NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE / nForce 430
Data Bus Speed 1000 MHz
RAM
Installed Size 8 GB / 8 GB (max)
Technology DDR2 SDRAM
Memory Speed 800 MHz
Memory Specification Compliance PC2-6400
Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
Configuration Features 4 x 2 GB
Storage Controller
Type 1 x Serial ATA - integrated
Storage
Hard Drive 1 x 750 GB - standard - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm

Thanks

daship

Distinguished
Heres what I wrote you.
I got a new i7 rig I have to sell because my transmission in my car took a crap. I can let it go for $800 on ebay.

i7 920 overclocked to 3.4
Antec 650 watt PSU
6G DDR3 Gskill 1333 triple channel ram
Asus P6T Deluxe mother board
LG DvD burner
Ati Radeon 4870 video card.
Western Digital 640 Hard drive

You will want to run a raid 0 setup with what you are doing ,and I would recommend a pair of OCZ SSD drives to really make your co workers jealous.

If theres any trial software you would like me to run a test on let me know, and we will put her through the loops.

This PC is a beast but I got to get my tranny fixed.

I also have: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yvxGHmoBFE

I benched this one against the $1900 imacs and it blows them away, and it rates 13th against macpros. I want $599 for this one, and for another $100 I could upgrade it to a quad core @ 3.2-3.5 Then you could use your old software, and still have a $1900 mac and a $600 PC.

If you would like to see the i7 demo I can make a video.

daship

Distinguished
If you want to chat email me roadrunner197069@yahoo.com your phone number and I will call you.

For the $800 you can pick any case you want for $100 or less on newegg.com