laptop recommendation?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 12:06:21 AM

My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive and
reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!

Thanks, Lauren

More about : laptop recommendation

April 26, 2004 7:29:53 AM

"Lauren" <applevalleymn@aol.com> wrote in message
> My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
> is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
> much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
> I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive and
> reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!
>
> Thanks, Lauren

Toshiba
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 26, 2004 7:29:54 AM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 03:29:53 +0000, leo wrote:

> Toshiba

Ditto
Related resources
April 26, 2004 11:05:28 AM

bought a new Dell 1100 works fine got it for 850 dollars after 200 dollar
rebate and one year warranty
Just for the basic internet and word processing.

"Lauren" <applevalleymn@aol.com> wrote in message
> My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
> is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
> much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
> I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive and
> reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!
>
> Thanks, Lauren
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2004 6:19:00 PM

Am Montag, 26. April 2004 05:06 schrieb Lauren:

> My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
> is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
> much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
> I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive and
> reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!

Please ask your daughter to define "general use" and we will be able to
provide you with betther ideas concerning which laptop to buy.

e.g. in case she is not at all interested in ego-shooters and other
"stuff is quickly happening" games it might be a good idea to just
get a used Thinkpad 390X with 450 MHz and 256 MB RAM (and 12 months
guarantee) via eBay...

It is hard to recomend a computer without knowing what shall be done
with it.

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E

applevalleymn@aol.com (Lauren) wrote in message news:<aeea69eb.0404251906.18b2e890@posting.google.com>...
> My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
> is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
> much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
> I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive and
> reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!
>
> Thanks, Lauren

Dell is good because they stand by their warranty. There is little
down time in waiting for repairs. It may cost you more to get the
extended warranty. But, in the long run it is well worth it.

John
May 2, 2004 6:26:51 PM

applevalleymn@aol.com (Lauren) wrote in message news:<aeea69eb.0404251906.18b2e890@posting.google.com>...
> My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
> is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
> much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
> I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive and
> reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!
>
> Thanks, Lauren

Dell is good because they stand by their warranty. There is little
down time in waiting for repairs. It may cost you more to get the
extended warranty. But, in the long run it is well worth it.

John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 12:12:11 AM

leo wrote:
> "Lauren" <applevalleymn@aol.com> wrote in message
>> My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
>> is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
>> much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
>> I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive
>> and reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!
>>
>> Thanks, Lauren
>
> Toshiba

IBM Thinkpads cost more, but wear a lot better.
May 3, 2004 3:22:27 AM

yes inexpesive and relaible. BUT those two don't go together. I'm a real
beliver with computers that you must get the best when buying AS no matter
who/what it's being use for, it'll be outdated in 3 months.

Toshiba's good, Checkout Dell as well

Another question is that is she studying computing or has plans to??? Alot
depends on this answer
If she is / plans to don't even thing about a middle of the range machine

Remember a large single investment will always cost less than little
payments for useless upgrades and the like.

Radith Silva
radith@xtra.co.nz
"Lauren" <applevalleymn@aol.com> wrote in message
> My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
> is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
> much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
> I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive and
> reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!
>
> Thanks, Lauren
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 3:22:28 AM

Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 13:22 schrieb Radith:

> yes inexpesive and relaible. BUT those two don't go together. I'm a real
> beliver with computers that you must get the best when buying AS no matter
> who/what it's being use for, it'll be outdated in 3 months.

OK, Radith, but couldn't you come to a quite different conclusion as well?

Wouldn't it be wise (given that "it'll be outdated in 3 months") to
try to find out

* What performance and

* What features

are actually needed - and then get an OLD computer matching these
requirenments instead of trying to get "the best"?

IM(h)O it is better to have an older, reliable IBM Thinkpad (or another
reliable brand machine, resp.) than to look for the high end state-
of-the-art runners which might be faster and more feature rich but
cost a lot more since they are brand new and are hyped like hell.

just my 2 pence

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 3:22:29 AM

I really don't think it's necessary to buy a top-of-the range machine
either - they are extremely expensive, and only slightly faster than the
bottom-of-the range machines, if you look at the whole scheme of things.
Bottom of the range now is a 1.4GHz Pentium-M, top is a 1.7GHz Pentium-M,
compared to three years ago, these machines aren't that different, and both
a very fast.

It sounds like your daughter probably only needs it to Word Process, listen
to a bit of music, and maybe watch some DVDs on it, and if that's all she's
going to do with it, then I recommend getting a Thinkpad R40 - you can a
1.4Ghz Pentium-M (which is faster than my laptop, which is fast enough),
256MB RAM, and a 40GB harddrive, with a DVD-C-RW drive, very cheaply.

I recommend getting and extended warranty, though, as even the most reliably
laptops break-down.

Duncan.

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 13:22 schrieb Radith:
>

>>yes inexpesive and relaible. BUT those two don't go together. I'm a real
>>beliver with computers that you must get the best when buying AS no matter
>>who/what it's being use for, it'll be outdated in 3 months.
>

> OK, Radith, but couldn't you come to a quite different conclusion as well?
>
> Wouldn't it be wise (given that "it'll be outdated in 3 months") to
> try to find out
>
> * What performance and
>
> * What features
>
> are actually needed - and then get an OLD computer matching these
> requirenments instead of trying to get "the best"?
>
> IM(h)O it is better to have an older, reliable IBM Thinkpad (or another
> reliable brand machine, resp.) than to look for the high end state-
> of-the-art runners which might be faster and more feature rich but
> cost a lot more since they are brand new and are hyped like hell.
>
> just my 2 pence
>
> Karl-Heinz
Karl,

I second your views but would replace OLD by USED or RECENT. There is no
point buying a machine which clearly is outdated since you almost always
end up wishing it had additional capabilities. I suggest, one should buy
a machine that fits the current needs with some margin, in terms of
processing power especially.

--
John Doue
Anonymous

Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 15:34 schrieb John Doue:

> Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
>
>> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 13:22 schrieb Radith:
>>

>>>yes inexpesive and relaible. BUT those two don't go together. I'm a real
>>>beliver with computers that you must get the best when buying AS no
>>>matter who/what it's being use for, it'll be outdated in 3 months.
>>

>> OK, Radith, but couldn't you come to a quite different conclusion as
>> well?
>>
>> Wouldn't it be wise (given that "it'll be outdated in 3 months") to
>> try to find out
>>
>> * What performance and
>>
>> * What features
>>
>> are actually needed - and then get an OLD computer matching these
>> requirenments instead of trying to get "the best"?
>>
>> IM(h)O it is better to have an older, reliable IBM Thinkpad (or another
>> reliable brand machine, resp.) than to look for the high end state-
>> of-the-art runners which might be faster and more feature rich but
>> cost a lot more since they are brand new and are hyped like hell.
>>
>> just my 2 pence
>>
>> Karl-Heinz
> Karl,
>
> I second your views but would replace OLD by USED or RECENT. There is no
> point buying a machine which clearly is outdated since you almost always
> end up wishing it had additional capabilities. I suggest, one should buy
> a machine that fits the current needs with some margin, in terms of
> processing power especially.

ACK

e.g. this could mean (for non-programmers and non-ego-shooters) to
get an old but good Thinkpad: Pentium III with 450 MHz.

These are awefully cheap at eBay - with guarantee 1 year. :-)

IMHO there is no need to spend an additional amount of money for
getting a faster machine which can play DVDs: not if in the shop
next door I can get a standalone DVD player for 50 USD or EUR.

Karl-Heinz
--

Duncan James Murray wrote:

> It sounds like your daughter probably only needs it to Word Process, listen
> to a bit of music, and maybe watch some DVDs on it, and if that's all she's
> going to do with it, then I recommend getting a Thinkpad R40 - you can a
> 1.4Ghz Pentium-M (which is faster than my laptop, which is fast enough),
> 256MB RAM, and a 40GB harddrive, with a DVD-C-RW drive, very cheaply.
>
> I recommend getting and extended warranty, though, as even the most reliably
> laptops break-down.
>
> Duncan.

If word processing, DVD and MP3 are its only bill of fare, then he can do with a
LOT slower and LOTS less costly PII or PIII notebook. There is NO need for some
P4 screamer. My kids have a 366 and 400MHz PII Thinkpad 600 and 600E. They
type their homework, listen to music, both MP3 and CD's, and watch DVD's even in
the car with a cig. lighter powered brick. Highest cost(600E) model was $335,
10GB HD, 288M RAM and 8x DVD. My own Thinkpad 600X was a 500mhz PIII I upped to
750mhz, 20GB HD and 576M RAM. Total invested in this one, $460.

You could spend more? But why?

> "Karl-Heinz Zimmer" <khz@kde.org> wrote in message
> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 13:22 schrieb Radith:
>
> > yes inexpesive and relaible. BUT those two don't go together.

Hogwash!

> I'm a real
> > beliver with computers that you must get the best when buying AS no matter
> > who/what it's being use for, it'll be outdated in 3 months.

SO then WHY spend big bux for the newest if it's old in 3 months? Do you print
your own money?

> OK, Radith, but couldn't you come to a quite different conclusion as well?
>
> Wouldn't it be wise (given that "it'll be outdated in 3 months") to
> try to find out
>
> * What performance and
>
> * What features
>
> are actually needed - and then get an OLD computer matching these
> requirenments instead of trying to get "the best"?
>
> IM(h)O it is better to have an older, reliable IBM Thinkpad (or another
> reliable brand machine, resp.) than to look for the high end state-
> of-the-art runners which might be faster and more feature rich but
> cost a lot more since they are brand new and are hyped like hell.
>
> just my 2 pence
>
> Karl-Heinz
> --
> Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
> Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
> Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
> www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 3:22:31 AM

~~~~~~~~~~
ACK

e.g. this could mean (for non-programmers and non-ego-shooters) to
get an old but good Thinkpad: Pentium III with 450 MHz.

These are awefully cheap at eBay - with guarantee 1 year. :-)

IMHO there is no need to spend an additional amount of money for
getting a faster machine which can play DVDs: not if in the shop
next door I can get a standalone DVD player for 50 USD or EUR.

~~~~~~~

Except if you want to play dvds on the train, in the park or somewhere where
carrying an extra dvd player around with you is not practical. ;-)

As for older laptops - I have a Thinkpad 1200i which has served me well. I'm
only upgrading because I need a bigger, better quality screen (my Thinkpad
has a 12" HPA screen) as I do alot of digital photography.

The machine I'm upgrading too isn't top of the line either, but it suits my
needs (64mb dedicated graphics ram rather than shared, 15" screen, 512mb
system ram. It also happens to have a dvd player even though I do have a
standalone one already ;-) )

So I would agree with buying what you need rather than what you lust after.

Rachael
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 3:22:31 AM

Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 19:14 schrieb Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC:

> If word processing, DVD and MP3 are its only bill of fare, then he
> can do with a LOT slower and LOTS less costly PII or PIII notebook.
> There is NO need for some P4 screamer. My kids have a 366 and
> 400MHz PII Thinkpad 600 and 600E. They type their homework, listen
> to music, both MP3 and CD's, and watch DVD's even in the car with a
> cig. lighter powered brick. Highest cost(600E) model was $335,
> 10GB HD, 288M RAM and 8x DVD. My own Thinkpad 600X was a 500mhz
> PIII I upped to 750mhz, 20GB HD and 576M RAM. Total invested in
> this one, $460.

Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs on a 400 MHz
machine?

I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs requires at least
a 600 MHz prozessor!?

Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the processor's job?

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 3:22:32 AM

Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 19:34 schrieb Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat:

> "Karl-Heinz Zimmer" <khz@kde.org> wrote in message
> > IMHO there is no need to spend an additional amount of money for
> > getting a faster machine which can play DVDs: not if in the shop
> > next door I can get a standalone DVD player for 50 USD or EUR.

> Except if you want to play dvds on the train, in the park or somewhere
> where carrying an extra dvd player around with you is not practical. ;-)

True.
However I don't want to do that, so it means no problem to me.
On trains I either read or talk to people.
In parks I watch the things around me.
Movie watching is done either in a decent cinema or at home. :-)
(probably I am just old-fashioned :-))

> As for older laptops - I have a Thinkpad 1200i which has served me
> well.
> I'm only upgrading because I need a bigger, better quality screen
> (my Thinkpad has a 12" HPA screen) as I do alot of digital
> photography.

Yep, 12" is not /that/ wide.

> The machine I'm upgrading too isn't top of the line either, but it
> suits my needs (64mb dedicated graphics ram rather than shared,
> 15" screen, 512mb system ram. It also happens to have a dvd player
> even though I do have a standalone one already ;-) )

OK, I forgive you.
:-D

> So I would agree with buying what you need rather than what you lust
> after.

Right, but of course if everybody would act that way the industry would
have a slight problem. <bg>

Karl-Heinz
--

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs
> on a 400 MHz machine?
>
> I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs
> requires at least a 600 MHz prozessor!?
>
> Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the
> processor's job?

Yes, a ThinkPad 600E with the 400MHz PII will play DVDs. There's no hardware
decoding, just software. IBM's bundled Mediamatics player works well on the
600E.

-Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 3:22:33 AM

Michael Geary wrote:

> Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
>
>>Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs
>>on a 400 MHz machine?
>>
>>I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs
>>requires at least a 600 MHz prozessor!?
>>
>>Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the
>>processor's job?
>

> Yes, a ThinkPad 600E with the 400MHz PII will play DVDs. There's no hardware
> decoding, just software. IBM's bundled Mediamatics player works well on the
> 600E.
>
> -Mike

Hi,
The more memory, the better.
Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 3:34:40 AM

Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 22:37 schrieb Tony Hwang:

> Michael Geary wrote:
>
>> Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
>>
>>>Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs
>>>on a 400 MHz machine?
>>>
>>>I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs
>>>requires at least a 600 MHz prozessor!?
>>>
>>>Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the
>>>processor's job?
>>

>> Yes, a ThinkPad 600E with the 400MHz PII will play DVDs. There's no
>> hardware decoding, just software. IBM's bundled Mediamatics player works
>> well on the 600E.
>>
>> -Mike
>>

> Hi,
> The more memory, the better.

what do you thinik: Would a 450 MHz Thinkpad 690X with 256 MB RAM do?

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 4:45:56 AM

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> leo wrote:
>
>>"Lauren" <applevalleymn@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
>>>is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
>>>much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
>>>I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive
>>>and reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!
>>>
>>>Thanks, Lauren
>>
>>Toshiba
>

> IBM Thinkpads cost more, but wear a lot better.

Hi,
Thinkpad is built tough.
My T21 is more than 3 years old. Not a single problem so far.
Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 8:48:27 AM

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 19:14 schrieb Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC:
>
> > If word processing, DVD and MP3 are its only bill of fare, then he
> > can do with a LOT slower and LOTS less costly PII or PIII notebook.
> > There is NO need for some P4 screamer. My kids have a 366 and
> > 400MHz PII Thinkpad 600 and 600E. They type their homework, listen
> > to music, both MP3 and CD's, and watch DVD's even in the car with a
> > cig. lighter powered brick. Highest cost(600E) model was $335,
> > 10GB HD, 288M RAM and 8x DVD. My own Thinkpad 600X was a 500mhz
> > PIII I upped to 750mhz, 20GB HD and 576M RAM. Total invested in
> > this one, $460.
>
> Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs on a 400 MHz
> machine?
>
> I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs requires at least
> a 600 MHz prozessor!?
>
> Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the processor's job?
>
> Karl-Heinz

You certainly do - not - need a 600MHz cpu. My kids were watching movies on a
266MHz Thinkpad 600 and 233MHz 770 using PowerDVD, a software decoder. The
233mhz MMX 770 was a little choppy but the 266mhz model 600 I upped to a 366
cpu, tho a 333 or even 300 would've been fine. If you want a hardware decoder
go with the Margi pc card. PowerDVD works just fine tho. Try it, you'll like
it.

TJ

> Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
> Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
> Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
> www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 8:49:19 AM

Michael Geary wrote:

> Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> > Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs
> > on a 400 MHz machine?
> >
> > I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs
> > requires at least a 600 MHz prozessor!?
> >
> > Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the
> > processor's job?
>
> Yes, a ThinkPad 600E with the 400MHz PII will play DVDs. There's no hardware
> decoding, just software. IBM's bundled Mediamatics player works well on the
> 600E.
>
> -Mike

Not as well as PowerDVD.

TJ
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 8:49:20 AM

Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
> Not as well as PowerDVD.

That's good to know, thanks. I didn't try PowerDVD on the 600E. I did try
WinDVD and it didn't work well at all, although it does do a nice job on my
A30p. Will have to try PowerDVD on both machines sometime and see how it
compares.

-Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 9:04:32 AM

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 22:37 schrieb Tony Hwang:
>
> > Michael Geary wrote:

> >> Yes, a ThinkPad 600E with the 400MHz PII will play DVDs. There's no
> >> hardware decoding, just software. IBM's bundled Mediamatics player works
> >> well on the 600E.
> >>
> >> -Mike
> >>

> > Hi,
> > The more memory, the better.
>
> what do you thinik: Would a 450 MHz Thinkpad 690X with 256 MB RAM do?
>
> Karl-Heinz
> --
> Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
> Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
> Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
> www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org

Did you mean a 450mhz 600X? Yeah, that would work nicely.

TJ
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 9:16:54 AM

I tried Mediamatics on my 600's and 770's. PowerDVD wont run on a 770 with an
enhanced video card. That too bad because its easier to use than MMatics.

The only real requirement P-DVD has is enough RAM, and with a 400MHz cpu, 128 is
more than enough, 288 is lots better, 'course, it doesnt help just P-DVD.

TJ

Michael Geary wrote:

> > Michael Geary wrote:
> > > Yes, a ThinkPad 600E with the 400MHz PII will play DVDs.
> > > There's no hardware decoding, just software. IBM's bundled
> > > Mediamatics player works well on the 600E.
>
> Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
> > Not as well as PowerDVD.
>
> That's good to know, thanks. I didn't try PowerDVD on the 600E. I did try
> WinDVD and it didn't work well at all, although it does do a nice job on my
> A30p. Will have to try PowerDVD on both machines sometime and see how it
> compares.
>
> -Mike

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 12:45:08 PM

Am Montag, 3. Mai 2004 07:04 schrieb Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC:
> Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

>> > The more memory, the better.

>> what do you thinik: Would a 450 MHz Thinkpad 690X with 256 MB RAM do?

> Did you mean a 450mhz 600X? Yeah, that would work nicely.

I am sorry, got the number wrong, the _390X_ is the machine I got:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=41258...

BTW, I was looking for a big camparison of these hundreds of Thinkpad
models but could not find any.

Is there a chance to see e.g. the difference between a 600E and a 690X
and others... without manually comparing their specifications?

The IBM pages provide tons of information but I did not find a matrix
comparing the features/specs of the different models.

Also the Thinkpad history timeline is quite nice but still does not
mention everything, e.g. the 390er series is completely missing here:
http://www.pc.ibm.com/ww/thinkpad/anniversary/history.h...

Any ideas?

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 8:00:45 PM

Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz@kde.org> wrote:

> I am sorry, got the number wrong, the _390X_ is the machine I got:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=41258...

That's a very nice machine, but I will share one piece of information with
you. The 3xx series of machines were retail (consumer) units built by Acer
under contract for IBM. This doesn't really detract from the machines as
they were built to an IBM specification and had to meet IBM quality
standards.

> The IBM pages provide tons of information but I did not find a matrix
> comparing the features/specs of the different models.

You're not likely to find this info other than for current model offerings.
But you can do a quick A/B check of models in the listings to be found in
the "Personal Systems Reference" documents in PDF format you can download
from the IBM ftp servers.

TABOOK: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/tabook.... Current
models of Thinkpads.

TAWBOOK: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/tawbook...
Non-current A, T and X series Thinkpads.

TWBOOK: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/twbook.... Legacy
Thinkpads, e.g. 300, 600, 700 and 770 series Thinkpads.

There are also separate books for R series and I series machines.

> Also the Thinkpad history timeline is quite nice but still does not
> mention everything, e.g. the 390er series is completely missing here:
> http://www.pc.ibm.com/ww/thinkpad/anniversary/history.h...

That's just some advertising fluff and is not a true history of all
Thinkpads. The very first listing, stating that the 700C had 120MB RAM,
should be a dead giveaway that it was written by a marketing type and not an
engineer. 120MB was the size of the HD, not the memory!

Various geographic areas received Thinkpads that were customized for that
region alone and you will not find specific descriptions for these models
without resorting to looking them up on the IBM website by type and model
number. E.g. a 2645-850 is a 600 series machine built in Greenock, Scotland
for the UK market and is equivalent to a US model 2645-85U.

There are whole families of Thinkpads that were offered for sale only in
Japan.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 11:59:51 PM

Am Montag, 3. Mai 2004 18:00 schrieb JHEM:

> Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz@kde.org> wrote:
>
>> I am sorry, got the number wrong, the _390X_ is the machine I got:
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=41258...
>
> That's a very nice machine, but I will share one piece of information with
> you. The 3xx series of machines were retail (consumer) units built by Acer
> under contract for IBM. This doesn't really detract from the machines as
> they were built to an IBM specification and had to meet IBM quality
> standards.

<big grin> NOW I know why I had the strange feeling that there /was/
something different between that machine and the (slower) 770X I bought
one week ago. :-)

The 770X somehow gives a more 'solid' feeling - but this does not
mean the 390X is 'not solid' - only if I have them standing next to
each other and type the keys, then the 770X gives a little bit more
solid impression. :)

>> The IBM pages provide tons of information but I did not find a
>> matrix comparing the features/specs of the different models.
>
> You're not likely to find this info other than for current model
> offerings. But you can do a quick A/B check of models in the
> listings to be found in the "Personal Systems Reference" documents
> in PDF format you can download from the IBM ftp servers.
>
> TABOOK: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/tabook.... Current
> models of Thinkpads.
>
> TAWBOOK: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/tawbook...
> Non-current A, T and X series Thinkpads.
>
> TWBOOK: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/twbook.... Legacy
> Thinkpads, e.g. 300, 600, 700 and 770 series Thinkpads.
>
> There are also separate books for R series and I series machines.

Very good hints, thanks a lot.

>> Also the Thinkpad history timeline is quite nice but still does not
>> mention everything, e.g. the 390er series is completely missing here:
>> http://www.pc.ibm.com/ww/thinkpad/anniversary/history.h...
>
> That's just some advertising fluff and is not a true history of all
> Thinkpads. The very first listing, stating that the 700C had 120MB RAM,
> should be a dead giveaway that it was written by a marketing type and not
> an engineer. 120MB was the size of the HD, not the memory!
>
> Various geographic areas received Thinkpads that were customized for that
> region alone and you will not find specific descriptions for these models
> without resorting to looking them up on the IBM website by type and model
> number. E.g. a 2645-850 is a 600 series machine built in Greenock,
> Scotland for the UK market and is equivalent to a US model 2645-85U.

Yep, seems to be worth writing an academic thesis about this. :-))

> There are whole families of Thinkpads that were offered for sale only in
> Japan.

Seems you know a lot about this topic, might I ask if you are a former
IBM employee?

While we are at it: I learned that there is no chance to directly post
to the (IBM internal?) group ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad.

This is a bit frustrating: seeing all the interesting postings by
reading google groups, but not being able to actively participate.

Do you happen to know if management might consider making this group a
(perhaps moderated?) public read/write group?

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 4, 2004 8:46:51 PM

Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 19:34 schrieb Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat:

> "Karl-Heinz Zimmer" <khz@kde.org> wrote in message
> > IMHO there is no need to spend an additional amount of money for
> > getting a faster machine which can play DVDs: not if in the shop
> > next door I can get a standalone DVD player for 50 USD or EUR.

> Except if you want to play dvds on the train, in the park or somewhere
> where carrying an extra dvd player around with you is not practical. ;-)

~~~
True.
However I don't want to do that, so it means no problem to me.
On trains I either read or talk to people.
In parks I watch the things around me.
~~~

No disagreement there - though it must be said I don't do trains. In parks I
generally have a camera stuck to my eye and can be found lurking by the
flower beds with the camera lens stuck into the flowers. ;-)

~~~
Movie watching is done either in a decent cinema or at home. :-)
(probably I am just old-fashioned :-))
~~~

Would agree with the cinema thing - ex husband is the technical manager for
a big cinema so when it comes to watching the latest blockbusters I'm used
to the best of the best.
However, if I am stuck somewhere where that isn't possible I'd go for the
dvd in the laptop option. If I *had* to take the train for many hours (as I
used to when I lived three hundred or so miles from my parents and went
visiting regularly which involved a seven hour train journey) this would be
my prefered diversion.

> So I would agree with buying what you need rather than what you lust
> after.

~~~
Right, but of course if everybody would act that way the industry would
have a slight problem. <bg>
~~~

LOL, yus.

I apologise for the unconventional formatting of my posts - for some reason.
OE has stopped adding >'s to quoted text, even though I have asked it to in
the options. Odd.

Rachael
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2004 8:02:38 PM

Landsman,

Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz@kde.org> wrote:

> The 770X somehow gives a more 'solid' feeling - but this does not
> mean the 390X is 'not solid' - only if I have them standing next to
> each other and type the keys, then the 770X gives a little bit more
> solid impression. :)

Correct, not readily apparent until you get an opportunity to view the
machines next to each other. Not really a fair comparison though as the 770
series are absolute bricks.

> Very good hints, thanks a lot.

No problem, there's a wealth of information on a per machine basis on the
IBM website, you need only enter the machine's type and model number in a
quick lookup box and you'll be redirected to a customized page with all of
the info for THAT specific machine. You can also find generalized pages by
looking up a machine type, e.g. 2626. For instance, here's the general info
page for the 390X series:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

No K-H, but you should recognize me from www.thinkpads.com!

> While we are at it: I learned that there is no chance to directly post
> to the (IBM internal?) group ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad.

I have no difficulty posting to that group. as I'm sure you've noticed. What
prvents you from doing so? It's a public group, even though it's hosted by
IBM.

Besides, all of the knowledgeable posters from there can also be found at
http://forum.thinkpads.com

Regards,

James
!