laptop recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive and
reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!

Thanks, Lauren

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

"Lauren" <applevalleymn@aol.com> wrote in message
> My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
> is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
> much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
> I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive and
> reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!
>
> Thanks, Lauren

Toshiba

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 03:29:53 +0000, leo wrote:

> Toshiba

Ditto

BigJim

bought a new Dell 1100 works fine got it for 850 dollars after 200 dollar
rebate and one year warranty
Just for the basic internet and word processing.

Am Montag, 26. April 2004 05:06 schrieb Lauren:

> My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
> is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
> much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
> I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive and
> reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!

Please ask your daughter to define "general use" and we will be able to
provide you with betther ideas concerning which laptop to buy.

e.g. in case she is not at all interested in ego-shooters and other
"stuff is quickly happening" games it might be a good idea to just
get a used Thinkpad 390X with 450 MHz and 256 MB RAM (and 12 months
guarantee) via eBay...

It is hard to recomend a computer without knowing what shall be done
with it.

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E

JohnS

applevalleymn@aol.com (Lauren) wrote in message news:<aeea69eb.0404251906.18b2e890@posting.google.com>...
> My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
> is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
> much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
> I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive and
> reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!
>
> Thanks, Lauren

Dell is good because they stand by their warranty. There is little
down time in waiting for repairs. It may cost you more to get the
extended warranty. But, in the long run it is well worth it.

John

leo wrote:
> "Lauren" <applevalleymn@aol.com> wrote in message
>> My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
>> is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
>> much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
>> I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive
>> and reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!
>>
>> Thanks, Lauren
>
> Toshiba

IBM Thinkpads cost more, but wear a lot better.

radith

yes inexpesive and relaible. BUT those two don't go together. I'm a real
beliver with computers that you must get the best when buying AS no matter
who/what it's being use for, it'll be outdated in 3 months.

Toshiba's good, Checkout Dell as well

Another question is that is she studying computing or has plans to??? Alot
depends on this answer
If she is / plans to don't even thing about a middle of the range machine

Remember a large single investment will always cost less than little
payments for useless upgrades and the like.

Radith Silva
radith@xtra.co.nz

Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 13:22 schrieb Radith:

> yes inexpesive and relaible. BUT those two don't go together. I'm a real
> beliver with computers that you must get the best when buying AS no matter
> who/what it's being use for, it'll be outdated in 3 months.

OK, Radith, but couldn't you come to a quite different conclusion as well?

Wouldn't it be wise (given that "it'll be outdated in 3 months") to
try to find out

* What performance and

* What features

are actually needed - and then get an OLD computer matching these
requirenments instead of trying to get "the best"?

IM(h)O it is better to have an older, reliable IBM Thinkpad (or another
reliable brand machine, resp.) than to look for the high end state-
of-the-art runners which might be faster and more feature rich but
cost a lot more since they are brand new and are hyped like hell.

just my 2 pence

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org

I really don't think it's necessary to buy a top-of-the range machine
either - they are extremely expensive, and only slightly faster than the
bottom-of-the range machines, if you look at the whole scheme of things.
Bottom of the range now is a 1.4GHz Pentium-M, top is a 1.7GHz Pentium-M,
compared to three years ago, these machines aren't that different, and both
a very fast.

It sounds like your daughter probably only needs it to Word Process, listen
to a bit of music, and maybe watch some DVDs on it, and if that's all she's
going to do with it, then I recommend getting a Thinkpad R40 - you can a
1.4Ghz Pentium-M (which is faster than my laptop, which is fast enough),
256MB RAM, and a 40GB harddrive, with a DVD-C-RW drive, very cheaply.

I recommend getting and extended warranty, though, as even the most reliably
laptops break-down.

Duncan.

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 13:22 schrieb Radith:
>

>>yes inexpesive and relaible. BUT those two don't go together. I'm a real
>>beliver with computers that you must get the best when buying AS no matter
>>who/what it's being use for, it'll be outdated in 3 months.
>

> OK, Radith, but couldn't you come to a quite different conclusion as well?
>
> Wouldn't it be wise (given that "it'll be outdated in 3 months") to
> try to find out
>
> * What performance and
>
> * What features
>
> are actually needed - and then get an OLD computer matching these
> requirenments instead of trying to get "the best"?
>
> IM(h)O it is better to have an older, reliable IBM Thinkpad (or another
> reliable brand machine, resp.) than to look for the high end state-
> of-the-art runners which might be faster and more feature rich but
> cost a lot more since they are brand new and are hyped like hell.
>
> just my 2 pence
>
> Karl-Heinz
Karl,

I second your views but would replace OLD by USED or RECENT. There is no
point buying a machine which clearly is outdated since you almost always
end up wishing it had additional capabilities. I suggest, one should buy
a machine that fits the current needs with some margin, in terms of
processing power especially.

--
John Doue

Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 15:34 schrieb John Doue:

> Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
>
>> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 13:22 schrieb Radith:
>>

>>>yes inexpesive and relaible. BUT those two don't go together. I'm a real
>>>beliver with computers that you must get the best when buying AS no
>>>matter who/what it's being use for, it'll be outdated in 3 months.
>>

>> OK, Radith, but couldn't you come to a quite different conclusion as
>> well?
>>
>> Wouldn't it be wise (given that "it'll be outdated in 3 months") to
>> try to find out
>>
>> * What performance and
>>
>> * What features
>>
>> are actually needed - and then get an OLD computer matching these
>> requirenments instead of trying to get "the best"?
>>
>> IM(h)O it is better to have an older, reliable IBM Thinkpad (or another
>> reliable brand machine, resp.) than to look for the high end state-
>> of-the-art runners which might be faster and more feature rich but
>> cost a lot more since they are brand new and are hyped like hell.
>>
>> just my 2 pence
>>
>> Karl-Heinz
> Karl,
>
> I second your views but would replace OLD by USED or RECENT. There is no
> point buying a machine which clearly is outdated since you almost always
> end up wishing it had additional capabilities. I suggest, one should buy
> a machine that fits the current needs with some margin, in terms of
> processing power especially.

ACK

e.g. this could mean (for non-programmers and non-ego-shooters) to
get an old but good Thinkpad: Pentium III with 450 MHz.

These are awefully cheap at eBay - with guarantee 1 year. :)

IMHO there is no need to spend an additional amount of money for
getting a faster machine which can play DVDs: not if in the shop
next door I can get a standalone DVD player for 50 USD or EUR.

Karl-Heinz
--

Duncan James Murray wrote:

> It sounds like your daughter probably only needs it to Word Process, listen
> to a bit of music, and maybe watch some DVDs on it, and if that's all she's
> going to do with it, then I recommend getting a Thinkpad R40 - you can a
> 1.4Ghz Pentium-M (which is faster than my laptop, which is fast enough),
> 256MB RAM, and a 40GB harddrive, with a DVD-C-RW drive, very cheaply.
>
> I recommend getting and extended warranty, though, as even the most reliably
> laptops break-down.
>
> Duncan.

If word processing, DVD and MP3 are its only bill of fare, then he can do with a
LOT slower and LOTS less costly PII or PIII notebook. There is NO need for some
P4 screamer. My kids have a 366 and 400MHz PII Thinkpad 600 and 600E. They
type their homework, listen to music, both MP3 and CD's, and watch DVD's even in
the car with a cig. lighter powered brick. Highest cost(600E) model was $335,
10GB HD, 288M RAM and 8x DVD. My own Thinkpad 600X was a 500mhz PIII I upped to
750mhz, 20GB HD and 576M RAM. Total invested in this one, $460.

You could spend more? But why?

> "Karl-Heinz Zimmer" <khz@kde.org> wrote in message
> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 13:22 schrieb Radith:
>
> > yes inexpesive and relaible. BUT those two don't go together.

Hogwash!

> I'm a real
> > beliver with computers that you must get the best when buying AS no matter
> > who/what it's being use for, it'll be outdated in 3 months.

SO then WHY spend big bux for the newest if it's old in 3 months? Do you print
your own money?

> OK, Radith, but couldn't you come to a quite different conclusion as well?
>
> Wouldn't it be wise (given that "it'll be outdated in 3 months") to
> try to find out
>
> * What performance and
>
> * What features
>
> are actually needed - and then get an OLD computer matching these
> requirenments instead of trying to get "the best"?
>
> IM(h)O it is better to have an older, reliable IBM Thinkpad (or another
> reliable brand machine, resp.) than to look for the high end state-
> of-the-art runners which might be faster and more feature rich but
> cost a lot more since they are brand new and are hyped like hell.
>
> just my 2 pence
>
> Karl-Heinz
> --
> Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
> Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
> Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
> www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 19:14 schrieb Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC:

> If word processing, DVD and MP3 are its only bill of fare, then he
> can do with a LOT slower and LOTS less costly PII or PIII notebook.
> There is NO need for some P4 screamer. My kids have a 366 and
> 400MHz PII Thinkpad 600 and 600E. They type their homework, listen
> to music, both MP3 and CD's, and watch DVD's even in the car with a
> cig. lighter powered brick. Highest cost(600E) model was $335,
> 10GB HD, 288M RAM and 8x DVD. My own Thinkpad 600X was a 500mhz
> PIII I upped to 750mhz, 20GB HD and 576M RAM. Total invested in
> this one, $460.

Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs on a 400 MHz
machine?

I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs requires at least
a 600 MHz prozessor!?

Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the processor's job?

Karl-Heinz
--

~~~~~~~~~~
ACK

e.g. this could mean (for non-programmers and non-ego-shooters) to
get an old but good Thinkpad: Pentium III with 450 MHz.

These are awefully cheap at eBay - with guarantee 1 year. :)

IMHO there is no need to spend an additional amount of money for
getting a faster machine which can play DVDs: not if in the shop
next door I can get a standalone DVD player for 50 USD or EUR.

~~~~~~~

Except if you want to play dvds on the train, in the park or somewhere where
carrying an extra dvd player around with you is not practical. ;-)

As for older laptops - I have a Thinkpad 1200i which has served me well. I'm
only upgrading because I need a bigger, better quality screen (my Thinkpad
has a 12" HPA screen) as I do alot of digital photography.

The machine I'm upgrading too isn't top of the line either, but it suits my
needs (64mb dedicated graphics ram rather than shared, 15" screen, 512mb
system ram. It also happens to have a dvd player even though I do have a
standalone one already ;-) )

So I would agree with buying what you need rather than what you lust after.

Rachael

Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 19:34 schrieb Rachael of Nex, the Wiccan Rat:

> "Karl-Heinz Zimmer" <khz@kde.org> wrote in message
> > IMHO there is no need to spend an additional amount of money for
> > getting a faster machine which can play DVDs: not if in the shop
> > next door I can get a standalone DVD player for 50 USD or EUR.

> Except if you want to play dvds on the train, in the park or somewhere
> where carrying an extra dvd player around with you is not practical. ;-)

True.
However I don't want to do that, so it means no problem to me.
On trains I either read or talk to people.
In parks I watch the things around me.
Movie watching is done either in a decent cinema or at home. :)
(probably I am just old-fashioned :))

> As for older laptops - I have a Thinkpad 1200i which has served me
> well.
> I'm only upgrading because I need a bigger, better quality screen
> (my Thinkpad has a 12" HPA screen) as I do alot of digital
> photography.

Yep, 12" is not /that/ wide.

> The machine I'm upgrading too isn't top of the line either, but it
> suits my needs (64mb dedicated graphics ram rather than shared,
> 15" screen, 512mb system ram. It also happens to have a dvd player
> even though I do have a standalone one already ;-) )

OK, I forgive you.
:-D

> So I would agree with buying what you need rather than what you lust
> after.

Right, but of course if everybody would act that way the industry would
have a slight problem. <bg>

Karl-Heinz
--

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs
> on a 400 MHz machine?
>
> I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs
> requires at least a 600 MHz prozessor!?
>
> Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the
> processor's job?

Yes, a ThinkPad 600E with the 400MHz PII will play DVDs. There's no hardware
decoding, just software. IBM's bundled Mediamatics player works well on the
600E.

-Mike

Michael Geary wrote:

> Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
>
>>Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs
>>on a 400 MHz machine?
>>
>>I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs
>>requires at least a 600 MHz prozessor!?
>>
>>Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the
>>processor's job?
>

> Yes, a ThinkPad 600E with the 400MHz PII will play DVDs. There's no hardware
> decoding, just software. IBM's bundled Mediamatics player works well on the
> 600E.
>
> -Mike

Hi,
The more memory, the better.
Tony

Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 22:37 schrieb Tony Hwang:

> Michael Geary wrote:
>
>> Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
>>
>>>Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs
>>>on a 400 MHz machine?
>>>
>>>I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs
>>>requires at least a 600 MHz prozessor!?
>>>
>>>Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the
>>>processor's job?
>>

>> Yes, a ThinkPad 600E with the 400MHz PII will play DVDs. There's no
>> hardware decoding, just software. IBM's bundled Mediamatics player works
>> well on the 600E.
>>
>> -Mike
>>

> Hi,
> The more memory, the better.

what do you thinik: Would a 450 MHz Thinkpad 690X with 256 MB RAM do?

Karl-Heinz
--

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> leo wrote:
>
>>"Lauren" <applevalleymn@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My daughter is looking to buy a laptop for general use. Her tendency
>>>is to buy whatever is the cheapest. She, also, will probably not do
>>>much research. Since I know very little about computers, I thought
>>>I'd ask you folks what you would recommend. Something inexpensive
>>>and reliable. I guess that is what everyone wants, isn't it!
>>>
>>>Thanks, Lauren
>>
>>Toshiba
>

> IBM Thinkpads cost more, but wear a lot better.

Hi,
Thinkpad is built tough.
My T21 is more than 3 years old. Not a single problem so far.
Tony

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 19:14 schrieb Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC:
>
> > If word processing, DVD and MP3 are its only bill of fare, then he
> > can do with a LOT slower and LOTS less costly PII or PIII notebook.
> > There is NO need for some P4 screamer. My kids have a 366 and
> > 400MHz PII Thinkpad 600 and 600E. They type their homework, listen
> > to music, both MP3 and CD's, and watch DVD's even in the car with a
> > cig. lighter powered brick. Highest cost(600E) model was $335,
> > 10GB HD, 288M RAM and 8x DVD. My own Thinkpad 600X was a 500mhz
> > PIII I upped to 750mhz, 20GB HD and 576M RAM. Total invested in
> > this one, $460.
>
> Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs on a 400 MHz
> machine?
>
> I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs requires at least
> a 600 MHz prozessor!?
>
> Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the processor's job?
>
> Karl-Heinz

You certainly do - not - need a 600MHz cpu. My kids were watching movies on a
266MHz Thinkpad 600 and 233MHz 770 using PowerDVD, a software decoder. The
233mhz MMX 770 was a little choppy but the 266mhz model 600 I upped to a 366
cpu, tho a 333 or even 300 would've been fine. If you want a hardware decoder
go with the Margi pc card. PowerDVD works just fine tho. Try it, you'll like
it.

TJ

Michael Geary wrote:

> Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> > Great, but wait a moment: Did you say they watch DVDs
> > on a 400 MHz machine?
> >
> > I might be wrong but I always thought watching DVDs
> > requires at least a 600 MHz prozessor!?
> >
> > Do they have hardware MPEG decoding or is it just the
> > processor's job?
>
> Yes, a ThinkPad 600E with the 400MHz PII will play DVDs. There's no hardware
> decoding, just software. IBM's bundled Mediamatics player works well on the
> 600E.
>
> -Mike

Not as well as PowerDVD.

TJ

Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC wrote:
> Not as well as PowerDVD.

That's good to know, thanks. I didn't try PowerDVD on the 600E. I did try
WinDVD and it didn't work well at all, although it does do a nice job on my
A30p. Will have to try PowerDVD on both machines sometime and see how it
compares.

-Mike

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 2. Mai 2004 22:37 schrieb Tony Hwang:
>
> > Michael Geary wrote:

> >> Yes, a ThinkPad 600E with the 400MHz PII will play DVDs. There's no
> >> hardware decoding, just software. IBM's bundled Mediamatics player works
> >> well on the 600E.
> >>
> >> -Mike
> >>

> > Hi,
> > The more memory, the better.
>
> what do you thinik: Would a 450 MHz Thinkpad 690X with 256 MB RAM do?
>
> Karl-Heinz
> --
> Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
> Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
> Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
> www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org

Did you mean a 450mhz 600X? Yeah, that would work nicely.

TJ