MA790FXT-UD5P Troubleshooting

jamovich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I just purchased the Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard with a Phenom II 965 BE.

Unfortunately it seems to be a POS. I cannot install windows Vista 64 because it freezes randomly. Sometimes when it is loading the installation files, or right after while it is loading (before the blue screen comes up).

I have no idea what to do. I am using CM3X2048 1333CDHX@1.7 volts as ram (single stick for testing purposes - I have 2 sticks). I was able to run windows memory diagnostics on 1 stick which brought up no errors. I tried switching to the other stick I have. I also tried different RAM slots. None of these steps were able to resolve the problem.

I am extremely pissed off as I just bought this to replace another faulty motherboard that was giving me troubles for over a year.

If anyone has been through this please let me know what the problem could be. Currently the board is using bios version F5.

Thanks

I would try the default timings and voltage that the board selects. But you can change the "memory mapping" setting manually and see if that helps get you to the finish line. I also recommend you prep your hardrive with maxblast 5 or similar software from your hardrive manufacturer. Maxblast 5 can make an exact copy of your old drive; then you could try safe mode and load the windows 7 drivers for your new board. It's worth a shot. If you make the new drive the boot drive, then after you finish the drive to drive copy, when it shuts down, disconnect the old drive or set the jumper to "slave" if it's an ide drive.

jamovich

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

the board selects 1.5 V as default when 1.7 V is clearly marked on the RAM sticks as default voltage. Anyway I did run the RAM on default settings on the first try and I experienced the same issue. After increasing the voltage to 1.7 the issue remained the same.

What is this memory mapping setting you are referring to? I am also planning to do a clean install of Vista 64 (from boot CD) as my current copy on HDD has been corrupted by the last mobo (too many forced restarts).

Thanks