Sign in with
Your question

Internal hard drives not initialized

Last response: in Storage
April 8, 2011 1:34:08 PM

I have an old Dell Inspiron which runs fairly well except that two of the internal hard drives become inaccessible after a while.

At startup both drives run fine until the computer is left idle. When I return to the computer the drives are no longer visible in the drive list. However they are still detected under Device Manager but are listed as not being initialized. After rebooting both drives are accessible again. I have also left the computer idle but with one of the drives transferring data only to come back and find the transfer failed and the drive inaccessible.

One of the problematic drives is a 320GB WD SATA connected directly to the motherboard. The other is an 80GB WD(?) PATA running off a Promise PCI controller card along with another identical drive on the same IDE cable which does not experience any problems.
a b G Storage
April 8, 2011 6:21:12 PM

are you using any kind of power-saving options? If so try turning all of those off & see what happens.

Make sure you have a good backup of these drives as well.
m
l
April 15, 2011 1:22:15 AM

gtvr said:
are you using any kind of power-saving options? If so try turning all of those off & see what happens.

Make sure you have a good backup of these drives as well.

I have deactivated the power saving settings on the hard drives but it did not resolve the problem.

I have since discarded the controller card and and re-initialized the drive attached directly motherboard. However I would still be interested in any solutions anyone might have.
m
l
!