Can't use all my memory

marzim

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hi

When i built my computer I bought 8gb of RAM. When I check how much I have at the moment (from computer system) it says I only have 4 gb. I have read the FAQs above however on the question

Q: My system does not recognize the full capacity of the modules I installed. How do I fix this?

2. If the system is recognizing only a fraction, such as 1/2 or 1/4, of the total capacity of the module, then the problem is most likely due to you using modules with memory chips that are too high in density. Many older systems require lower density memory parts. As memory modules with higher megabytes are developed, the density of the memory chips also must increase. Older, lower density memory parts are phased out and become harder to find. Current modules with high density memory components may not work with the older systems.

the answer was not very helpful (neither was #1).

I am using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

So, anyone that can help me fix this?

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I know of at least one recent example of where the person had to flash the BIOS in order to get all 12GB of memory recognized so if nothing else that might be kept in the back of your mind.

I'm not a fan of BIOS flashing if it isn't really necessary so it's not a bad idea to just pop by the motherboard manufacturers site and compare what the latest BIOS is to what you have and see if the revisions have anything to do with memory.

If so then it may well be worth considering.

ETA: Just thought I'd add that in another instance the issue was resolved by the user simply reseating the memory modules.

How much memory does it show as the system boots up ?? - If it does not show it testing all of it at boot then it is most likely a module is not seated properly in the socket or as noted it may be that your MOBO only supports a certain amount of RAM - what MOBO do you have and what does the manula say it supports as far as maximum RAM is concerned.

For Example this older socket 939 MOBO supports a MAX of only 4GB - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131540

comptech81

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Try running your windows experience again to give you a new score that may update your amount of ram