Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Powersupply has 20+4 pins, can I use the 4 on the CPU 4pin?

Last response: in Components
October 12, 2009 10:51:55 PM

Long title, I know. Basically, a friend of mine has a few years old gaming PC (not particularly good, nor does he use it for gaming at all). His power supply is making some crazy fan noises and sounds ridiculous. I was building myself a new computer, and accidentally ordered an extra power supply that ended up costing too much to be worth sending back, so I figured Id let him have it.

Heres the issue I'm running into. His power supply has a 20 pin connector, and then a separate connector for the 4 pin CPU power. The motherboard however is a 24 pin capable mobo.

I plugged in my new powersupply (easily capable of handling that system), but my power supply is a 24pin power, and has no extra CPU 4 pin connector for the motherboard.

I tried just plugging the 24 pin power in, and the system would start but wouldnt POST and there was no video. So I shut it down, and I cut the twist tie locking in the extra 4 pin and plugged it in to the 4 pin CPU power. So now I have the system running off 20 pins (which it was doing before, I figured no problem), and the extra 4 pin from the 24 pin power rail is now plugged into the 4 pin CPU power.

However, I still run into the same issue of it not working. No video, no beeps, no POST. It just powers on, and sits. Can I not use the 4 pin attatched to the 24 pin power connector? I figured it wouldnt matter, since it just supplies power.

Any suggestions?
October 12, 2009 11:10:27 PM

No, it is not wired the same. Look on the power supply for a different 4 pin connector if there is not one, then look for a 8 pin connector. The 8 pin will separate into 2 fours and one of them will fit into the cpu plug.

What PSU do you have?
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2009 11:20:01 PM

Check this out.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 12, 2009 11:27:53 PM

If the 8 pin connector does not split in to 2x4 pin plugs, then it will still plug in (just have 4 pins hanging over the edge of the connector). I've got my 8 pin on a 4 pin plug at the moment in my PC.

If you don't have an 8 pin or 4 pin EPS12V connector, then go buy a proper power supply, anything without one of those is pre-Pentium 4 era and rather aged to say the least!
October 12, 2009 11:36:04 PM

Ok thanks. There is a 6 pin and 8 pin, but the 8 pin does not split. Ill just plug in four of the 8 pins. That was the problem I think.

Ill update it when I get over there and try it again, but Im pretty sure thats the issue. (The power supply is within the last year, so its new).

Thanks for the quick response.
m
l
October 13, 2009 1:11:09 AM

That was, in fact the answer. I was too quick in looking at the supply, it did have a split 8 pin plug.

Thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2009 7:33:12 PM

haha good stuff
the other 8 pin and 6 pin plugs will be for PCI Express graphics cards if you get one of the higher end cards.
m
l
November 1, 2009 8:22:11 PM

Thanks alot! This really helped me with my issue. I just bought a psu and upon trying to connect it, I ran into the same problem. I thought my PSU was too advanced for the motherboard. Glad to know I was mistaken. Also glad to know not to follow the advice i read on another site that said that being able to disconnect the 4 pin and putting it into the illustrated slot on the motherboard was the right thing to :hello:  do.
:non:  :bounce: 
m
l
!