Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • Thermal Compound
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
August 1, 2011 12:43:28 AM

Hello all, 2 short questions.

1. I'm replacing a CM H520 with a CM Hyper 212 plus. Can I use the Y connector that came with the H520. I'm not sure if I should have any concerns regarding voltage or amps and such.

2. Since this is a Direct contact heat pipe cooler is there a different (better) method of applying Thermal paste? Should I fill the razor thin lines between the pipes on the cooler base then standard rice drop on CPU?

Thanks all

More about : hyper 212 install

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2011 6:25:43 AM

1) Are you planning to use a push pull setup with the CM Hyper 212+? If so, the Y connector from your previous HSF will work fine. They are the same for all fans.

2) Due to the grooves on the CM Hyper 212+ it will take more thermal paste than normal. I think the preferred method for this HSF, is to use two parallel lines, but I wouldn't sweat it too much as long as you use enough thermal compound, you won't lose much performance having too much, but not having enough could have dire consequences. I recommend testing your method with a test run to make sure things look right.
a b K Overclocking
August 1, 2011 6:03:36 PM

The proper way to apply the thermal paste is by following the directions on the package.

No two are alike.
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2011 12:50:45 AM

You obviously never installed a hyper, because otherwise you'd know the manual states nothing but: "Apply a thin layer of thermal grease onto the surface o the installed cpu". The installation instructions that come withthe CPU are a bad joke.

For some solid advice look here: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

I tried the dot approach and it didn't work for me with the hyper. Ended up spreading a thin even coat over the entire CPU with a credit card and that worked perfectly.
m
l
August 3, 2011 11:52:30 PM

Thanks super. from the looks of things it seems that a a very thin layer on the bottom of the heat sink it self would help fill the channels between the pipes on the base. Then another small amount on the cpu. Think I will try that.
I tend to agree with you. Geekapproved dosen't know what the hell he's talking about.
m
l
August 14, 2011 5:18:10 PM

bystander said:
1) Are you planning to use a push pull setup with the CM Hyper 212+? If so, the Y connector from your previous HSF will work fine. They are the same for all fans.

2) Due to the grooves on the CM Hyper 212+ it will take more thermal paste than normal. I think the preferred method for this HSF, is to use two parallel lines, but I wouldn't sweat it too much as long as you use enough thermal compound, you won't lose much performance having too much, but not having enough could have dire consequences. I recommend testing your method with a test run to make sure things look right.

Hey buddy, I took your advise and have a push pull setup. my temps are @ 35/40 idle and 54/64 running prime95 for 17 hours. Didn't break a sweat.

I did want to mention to you however ( to my dismay) that the Y connector that came with the CM520 is a 3 pin. The fan (Blade Master) that ships with the 212 is a 4 pin. It's on the MB HS fan and the second fan is connected to the bottom of the case. There's only 2 4 pins on MB.

A 4 pin Y connector would be wonderful. I'm looking.

Thanks for your time.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 14, 2011 7:00:48 PM

Ya, a 3 pin will not allow for adjustable fan settings, the 3 pin versions just have it run at full speed.
m
l
August 14, 2011 11:31:50 PM

Best answer selected by gerry410.
m
l
!