Fastest Ram that will run on my laptop

rachit_65

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I have a AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-60 , Bus speed is 9.5 x 200.0 MHz , and memory is DDR2, PC2-5300 (333 MHz), 1024 MBytes, MOSEL ,
I am thinking of upgrading to pc2-8600( 533 MHz) , will my new ram run at 533 Mhz or will it run at 333 Mhz . I mean wil my CPU support the new ram , or will my new ram still run at 333 MHz

Solution
What you need to be worried about is the Chipset supporting the new RAM speed, not the CPU.
Perhaps you could post more information on the Laptop?

Regardless of support for the faster RAM (which I doubt is there), the faster RAM will not give you a noticeably faster system.
The speed of the RAM has very little impact on system performance, being mainly useful in high FAB overclocking.
If your system is slowing down because of the RAM, make sure you have the maximum amount installed as supported by your specific laptop, regardless of the speed.
What you need to be worried about is the Chipset supporting the new RAM speed, not the CPU.
Perhaps you could post more information on the Laptop?

Regardless of support for the faster RAM (which I doubt is there), the faster RAM will not give you a noticeably faster system.
The speed of the RAM has very little impact on system performance, being mainly useful in high FAB overclocking.
If your system is slowing down because of the RAM, make sure you have the maximum amount installed as supported by your specific laptop, regardless of the speed.

Solution

Why?

If you have done nothing to change any of the clock frequencies in the laptop, the new RAM will run at the same frequency as the old ram.

Faster RAM by itself has no effect on computer speed.

rachit_65

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

More info I have :
northbridge : NVIDIA GeForce 8200M rev. A2
Southbridge : NVIDIA ID075E rev. A2

Why will faster ram have little impact on system speed.
pc2-8600 gives 8333MBps while my current pc2-5300 gives 5333Mbps. (from wiki)
Moreever I will remove my current 1GB pc2-5300 and install two 1GB pc2-8600 in dual channel mode.
And from what I hve read in your thread dual channel gives further more speed.

Please correct if I am wrong.

rachit_65

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

Why will faster ram have little impact on system speed.
pc2-8600 gives 8333MBps while my current pc2-5300 gives 5333Mbps. (from wiki)
Moreever I will remove my current 1GB pc2-5300 and install two 1GB pc2-8600 in dual channel mode.
And from what I hve read in your thread dual channel gives further more speed.

Please correct if I am wrong. I am a total newbie.

Also even after removing my old RAM and replacing with two sticks(1GB each) , will my new RAM still run on at the speed of old RAM.

If yes , what can be done . My bios doesn't show me any option to increase memory frequency. My laptop is compaq presaario cq50-106au. (Yes , I remember there was a option in BIOS to increase RAM frequency in my ol' pc )