Status
Not open for further replies.

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I have 2 GTX 260 Core 216s, one by EVGA and one by MSI. I tried the EVGA voltage tuner but the website said I couldn't download it yet because they haven't adapted the application for my card yet, and I tried riva tuner's but I've never gotten it to run. Are there any other ones out there that I can use?

Solution

Its possible to voltage tune a card, and without changing the input from the PSU (which I doubt would do anything besides fry the V-regs on the card). This is usually done to overclock the card beyond what stock voltages have to offer, though in some instances this is done to underclock the card and potentially save power.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
why would you want to tune voltage for video card, not to mention that you probably cant. It uses the 6pin, which i believe is 12v direct from PSU. Not sure about the 12 volt, but im sure that you can change it unless you change PSU.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Its possible to voltage tune a card, and without changing the input from the PSU (which I doubt would do anything besides fry the V-regs on the card). This is usually done to overclock the card beyond what stock voltages have to offer, though in some instances this is done to underclock the card and potentially save power.

Typically the only method for voltage tweaking a card is by flashing its BIOS, which is risky and almost certainly voids your warranty. Secondly, if your using the reference cooler, I doubt you'd get much more overclocking headroom because of its heat limitations. Have you tried overclocking at stock voltages?

Solution

nonxcarbonx

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Yes and I got a great overclock, exept even at full load I have 20 degrees celcius of headroom before I go out of tempurature specifications (load is 65, max is 85 and I want toget to the max :pt1cable: ). I know that it is possible because evga has an app that can do it, but my card ius on 55nm technology which isn't supported yet.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

Actually max limit for NVidia cards is 145 Celsius. Its just not reccomended togo over 85 because of the amount of heat then sent off the card towards the other components. Ive reached my personal record with a 8600GTS with passive cooling: 113 Celsius.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
yeah, a friend of mine got pretty pissed at me. I warned him, but he did not believe me, so he touched it while it was hot. Because it was so hot, he could not feel it for the first 2-3 seconds, and then... it burned. Came to school next day with a burn wound. Card still works fine, his finger is dead at the tip...

Status
Not open for further replies.