Sign in with
Your question

Antec 1200 fans shut off after seconds

Last response: in Components
October 12, 2009 11:02:57 PM

so my new antec 1200 case came today, so i decided to see how awesome all the blue fans look..so i took my old psu and motherboard (both work, just replaced for a better psu/mobo) i plugged in all the connecters etc.. and i had my motherboard on a anti-static bag that was on top of the box that it came in, (also, the psu was sitting on the floor in my room, its carpet :p ), part of me isnt concerned because of the way i set it up..but should i be concerned?
a c 136 ) Power supply
a c 212 V Motherboard
October 13, 2009 1:22:04 AM

Well try this....put your new PSU in the case, then connect just the fans.

Then, using a wire or a a paperclip, short the green wire to the neighboring black one and all the fans should run.
m
l
a c 136 ) Power supply
a c 212 V Motherboard
October 13, 2009 1:27:37 AM

BTW, my son's 1200 also arrived this week .... I have him keeping a log of what he does ..... here's a copy ..... if ya interested will add more as work progresses.

Day 1 - UPS man brings the following:

1. Examine orders for accuracy and completeness. All OK

Newegg.com
Antec 1200 case
(2) 120mm case fans
(2) Enermax Magma 120 mm fans
Antec Signature 850 PSU

FrozenCPU.com
Prolimatech Mega Shadow
Diamond 7 Karat Thermal Grease
3 Pin Y Cable Splitter
12" 8 pin Extension cable
3 Pin Female Fan Connectors
3 Pin Pin Sets
Molex tool
12' each of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" UV Sleeving
3" each of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" Heat Shrink

2. Get out da tools:

Xacto "Helping Hands"
Paladin Tools Wire Stripper
15 W / 30 W Soldering Iron w/ resin core solder
Wratcheting Screwdriver Set
Precision Tool Set (Small Stuff)

3. Day 1 Efforts:

a) Took out Megashadow and mounted Enermax fans. Didn't think I needed a 3 pin fan connector removal tool but using a teeny screwdriver wasn't working (now ordered one). So clipped off 3 pin fan connectors and sleeved the wires, ganging both fans on a single new 3 pin connector.

b) Took out the two rear case fans and remounted as follows:
- Top one mounted with wires exiting at bottom of fan at back of case.
- Bottom one mounted with wires exiting at top of fan at back of case.

Did the above so that both sets of wires exited at common point making it easier to sleeve. Used Molex tool to remove both Molex connectors and ganged them both in a sleeve on a single 3 pin connector.

c) Removed Molex connector for 200mm Big Boy Fan and replaced w/ 3 pin connector after adding sleeving.

d) Took HDD, On/ Off switch and Reset switch wires and put in a single sleeve.

e) Removed Bay Covers for top three 5-¼ bays

f) Installed PSU

g) Installed optional case door fan and case middle fan (at back of top 3-½ drive cage)

Work is on hold as he waits to place rest of order in 10/19/09 ....newegg says they will ship Win7 that day for delivery on 10/22. Will order sooner if he can weasly a copy out of college bookstore.
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2009 1:37:29 AM

i will try that when i get home, thanks
m
l
October 13, 2009 4:19:56 AM

update:
i put the case on my wooden desk amd put the motherboard right next to it, and placed the psu inside the case and tucked all the wires in the case, i plugged the mobo plug into the mobo and plugged in all the fans, same thing happened, and it also wont turn on sometimes.
(and i plugged in the power switch cable from the case into its correct spot)

and the wires for the fans are red and black
m
l
October 13, 2009 12:46:53 PM

Did the above so that both sets of wires exited at common point making it easier to sleeve. Used Molex tool to remove both Molex connectors and ganged them both in a sleeve on a single 3 pin connector.

c) Removed Molex connector for 200mm Big Boy Fan and replaced w/ 3 pin connector after adding sleeving.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are you switching from molex to 3 pin?
m
l
a c 136 ) Power supply
a c 212 V Motherboard
October 13, 2009 10:47:29 PM

Let's get the MoBo out of the equation. All we want involved to start is the case and the PSU. Jump the two terminals as suggested and we can isolate the problem. If it doesn't do it w/no MoBo involved, then we know the PSU OK and no shorts in case.
m
l
October 14, 2009 6:35:24 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
Let's get the MoBo out of the equation. All we want involved to start is the case and the PSU. Jump the two terminals as suggested and we can isolate the problem. If it doesn't do it w/no MoBo involved, then we know the PSU OK and no shorts in case.

should i take a paper clip to the red wire? (its neighboring the black one, there isnt a green one like you said in an earlier post)

edit: if your asking my to put the paper clip on the wires on the PSU they are all silver...
m
l
October 14, 2009 7:19:51 AM

just ran a quick test....
i turned off my pc and removed the side panel, and unplugged the side fan and used that molex connecter and 3 other ones (the psu thats powerin the pc right now will be the one i am using for my new rig) so i plugged them into the fans in the antec 1200 case, turned thepc on and all 3 fans light up, well 2 did, i didnt move the switch for the top fan, but basicly they worked !
i just need to make sure its not the "old" (is maybe a year old) psu still works cause thats what i will hopefully using in this pc...

EDIT: its about 5 in the morning where i am and the rest of my new pc parts are suppost to come today so once they arrive i will test the old psu with my current set up to check if the psu is bad
m
l
October 14, 2009 7:31:34 PM

wahjahka said:
just ran a quick test....
i turned off my pc and removed the side panel, and unplugged the side fan and used that molex connecter and 3 other ones (the psu thats powerin the pc right now will be the one i am using for my new rig) so i plugged them into the fans in the antec 1200 case, turned thepc on and all 3 fans light up, well 2 did, i didnt move the switch for the top fan, but basicly they worked !
i just need to make sure its not the "old" (is maybe a year old) psu still works cause thats what i will hopefully using in this pc...

EDIT: its about 5 in the morning where i am and the rest of my new pc parts are suppost to come today so once they arrive i will test the old psu with my current set up to check if the psu is bad

So you never answered my quesiton:

m
l
October 14, 2009 10:41:25 PM

mark_k said:

well iapologize for that, didnt know you asked, and i dont believe i ever said i was switching..cause im not

Jacknaylor suggested i do that in his long post
m
l
a c 136 ) Power supply
a c 212 V Motherboard
October 15, 2009 3:23:34 AM

wahjahka said:
should i take a paper clip to the red wire? (its neighboring the black one, there isnt a green one like you said in an earlier post)

edit: if your asking my to put the paper clip on the wires on the PSU they are all silver...

There's no colored insulation on the wires going into the plug ?

http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

4th and 5th from right with the connector's clip side facing you.
m
l
a c 136 ) Power supply
a c 212 V Motherboard
October 15, 2009 3:31:06 AM

mark_k said:

Ya asked the wrong guy. :)  Several reasons actually:

1. A hi end MoBo will typically include 5-6 chassis fan headers as well as the means to control them. Molex connectors won't let you use them.

2. Just about every fan controller on the market uses 3 pin connectors. Some provide adapters to Molex....but that adds more spaghetti.

3. A series of molex connectors is very inflexible with regard to "cleaning up the spaghetti" in a PC.

m
l
!