Overclocking AMD ll X4 955 question

I am just about to buy a computer and wondering, overclocking the 955 to 4.0 ghz worth it? if not what is the recommended OC I should go to, 3.8? I also am wondering about cooling. If i only OC it to 3.8 ghz is it nessesary to have a aftermarket cooler? or can i save the 30 bucks and use the stock cooler? thanks
25 answers Last reply
More about overclocking question
  1. - overclocking the 955 to 4.0 ghz worth it? yes worth

    - recommended OC I should go to, 3.8? yes recommend , it all depend system hardware .

    - 3.8 ghz is it nessesary to have a aftermarket cooler? yes get aftermarket cooler

    - or can i save the 30 bucks and use the stock cooler? do not use stock cooler for OC !
  2. Is there a huge difference between 3.8GHz and 4.0GHz? No, not really. But you'll pretty much overclock as high as your computer will go without going too hot. So just make sure to keep an eye on temps. You will probably want an aftermarket cooler if you overclock, especially if you go to 3.8GHz--although I had a Phenom II x2 560BE that hit 4.0GHz with no voltage increase and was happy on the stock cooler running LinX at under 60C.

    I have to wonder why you're going with a Phenom II x4 955BE if you're building a new computer though. I assume it's because you don't want a i3-2100 because it doesn't overclock and you want the OC'ing experience?

    If that's the case, I highly recommend you just get the $60 Phenom II x3 720BE @ Newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=u1260993t0f0fp56126dd0c0s701&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16819103652

    Use the money you save to buy a Xigmatek Gaia CPU cooler for $30. It's a top notch cooler for cheap. I unlocked another Phenom II x2 560BE to four cores and OC'd it to 3.7GHz. You might get lucky too and unlock a triple, but even if you don't, you can expect to OC it pretty high with that cooler.
  3. Note: The only reason to go AMD right now is if you're really trying to save money. That said, make sure you succeed in saving money. If you fill this out, I can help you save money more: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

    CPU: $60 Phenom II x3 720BE

    Mobo: $65 ASRock http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176
    I'd go with an Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock, or MSI motherboard that supports ACC/Core unlocking and has two PCI-e slots at at least 16x/4x

    Ram: $22 (after $20 rebate) PNY 4GB (2x2GB) 1600CL8 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178265

    650W PSU: $60 free shipping Antec EA650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
    Stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX

    Graphcis: $155 Radeon 6870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
    There are other choices of 6870's, I only picked this because it's cheapest

    HDD Drive, usually go with a $60 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, but you can find this on sale for $50

    DVD: $20 Any DVD-RW

    Case: $40 Thermaltake V4 w/ free shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133179&Tpk=thermaltake%20v4

    CPU cooler: $27 Xigmatek Gaia http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082&Tpk=xigmatek%20gaia

    TOTAL: $509

    Now find a deal on a Radeon graphics card because this motherboard's not SLI compatible. Someone found a 6870 for $143 last week.

    Of course, if there's a Micro Center near your house, you should be buying your parts there.
  4. dalauder said:
    Is there a huge difference between 3.8GHz and 4.0GHz? No, not really. But you'll pretty much overclock as high as your computer will go without going too hot. So just make sure to keep an eye on temps. You will probably want an aftermarket cooler if you overclock, especially if you go to 3.8GHz--although I had a Phenom II x2 560BE that hit 4.0GHz with no voltage increase and was happy on the stock cooler running LinX at under 60C.

    I have to wonder why you're going with a Phenom II x4 955BE if you're building a new computer though. I assume it's because you don't want a i3-2100 because it doesn't overclock and you want the OC'ing experience?

    If that's the case, I highly recommend you just get the $60 Phenom II x3 720BE @ Newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=u1260993t0f0fp56126dd0c0s701&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16819103652

    Use the money you save to buy a Xigmatek Gaia CPU cooler for $30. It's a top notch cooler for cheap. I unlocked another Phenom II x2 560BE to four cores and OC'd it to 3.7GHz. You might get lucky too and unlock a triple, but even if you don't, you can expect to OC it pretty high with that cooler.



    The reason why I am getting an amd 955 is I am tight on money around $750 and I want a bulldozer CPU. I got a AM3+ board for future Bulldozer usage when they get released.
  5. TheCrayonMan529 said:
    The reason why I am getting an amd 955 is I am tight on money around $750 and I want a bulldozer CPU. I got a AM3+ board for future Bulldozer usage when they get released.
    Well that's pretty much what I'm talking about. AMD isn't worth the money at $750--but since you're committed to expecting Bulldozer to be awesome (I really hope it is), save your money on your CPU that you plan on replacing.

    Why spend $100 on a Phenom II x4 955BE when a Phenom II x3 720BE is on sale for $60? You'll see here that it's close to the 955 in gaming: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-llano-processor,2989-5.html

    And if you can unlock the 4th core and overclock, it's equal. If you can unlock, but it won't overclock, or simply overclock the 3 cores, then it's pretty close to the same as the 955.

    Ask anyone and they'll agree that if you intend to upgrade your CPU soon, there's no point in getting the best out there--just get a great performer for it's price point. And for $75, the Phenom II x3 720BE cannot be beat. But it's only $60 right now.

    By, the way, if you intend to spend $750, you should get an $80 to $90 case instead of the Thermaltake V4, and 8GB of RAM for $65 or less.

    Let's talk about what AM3+ motherboard you're getting, what graphics card you're planning on, and what PSU that will need. There's no reason you can't fit my build below with a better case, mobo, PSU (750W), AND a Radeon 6970 for $750.
  6. The 720BE chips are C2 steppings.

    The 955BE chips are C3 steppings and from a much more mature and efficient process, especially if you snag a recent week.

    It could easily hit 3.8GHz on the stock cooler if you keep your volts down!
  7. I guess that's true...the 560BE I hit 4.0GHz on the stock cooler with was a C3 stepping.

    That said, if he plans on replacing the CPU in a year, it's still worth getting the 720BE, don't you think?
  8. dalauder said:
    Well that's pretty much what I'm talking about. AMD isn't worth the money at $750--but since you're committed to expecting Bulldozer to be awesome (I really hope it is), save your money on your CPU that you plan on replacing.

    Why spend $100 on a Phenom II x4 955BE when a Phenom II x3 720BE is on sale for $60? You'll see here that it's close to the 955 in gaming: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-llano-processor,2989-5.html

    And if you can unlock the 4th core and overclock, it's equal. If you can unlock, but it won't overclock, or simply overclock the 3 cores, then it's pretty close to the same as the 955.

    Ask anyone and they'll agree that if you intend to upgrade your CPU soon, there's no point in getting the best out there--just get a great performer for it's price point. And for $75, the Phenom II x3 720BE cannot be beat. But it's only $60 right now.

    By, the way, if you intend to spend $750, you should get an $80 to $90 case instead of the Thermaltake V4, and 8GB of RAM for $65 or less.

    Let's talk about what AM3+ motherboard you're getting, what graphics card you're planning on, and what PSU that will need. There's no reason you can't fit my build below with a better case, mobo, PSU (750W), AND a Radeon 6970 for $750.


    My build
    CPU:AMD Phenom ll X4 955 Black$119.99
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ $104.99
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB $30.99
    Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6870$174.99
    Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB$59.99
    Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower $49.99
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W $74.99
    Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212$29.99
    DVD Burner: ASUS 24X DVD Burner $20.99
    Windows 7 64bit oem $94.99

    People on here said it was a good build

    I plan doing crossfire in the future and I asked here on this website that it would be ok
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/322666-33-6870-crossfire-watt (This was my post)

    Also thanks for the info dude, if I can get better stuff for cheaper it will help alot.
  9. Can you link me the thread that they told you it's a good build on? I just want to see when it's from and check the discussion they had on the merits of an AMD build today. It's much smarter, IMO, to wait until Bulldozer instead of counting on it being good since it's only a couple more weeks--at the very least it will drop prices.

    It's not a terrible build build, but a very similar and possibly identical processor that costs $60 less seems like a no-brainer to me when you're planning on replacing it soon anyways.

    Other than that, the flaws are minor. But if I was spending $75 for a 650W, I'd instead spend $70 (AR) for this 750W Antec: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

    Also, I think the case is kinda skinny (under 7.5"). I'd get the Antec 300 Illusion for $50 (AR).

    And 1333Mhz Cas Latency 9 RAM is SLOW:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-bridge-ddr3_7.html#sect0

    Get 4GB 1600CL8 for $22 (AR): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178265
    The VERY good reviews tell you that you can count on this RAM not being DOA or defective (that's really all Newegg reviews are good for).
  10. If you're a student (college), you can get Windows 7 for $30.

    Also, your 6870 was $180 before rebate and $168 after including shipping. This one is XFX (good brand) with a Lifetime Warranty & Free Game for $180 before and $150 after: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150506

    After combing through your build, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed with the quality control of the people who critiqued your build. They were not very helpful to you and that's not cool.

    EDIT: Fyi, the advice you linked about the crossfiring was good. Iam2thecrow gives pretty solid advice. I've seen ko888 a bunch, but I don't remember specifics.
  11. According to your earlier posts, you're spending as much as $800:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316626-31-build-good
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/317159-31-build-help-intel-build-build

    If you're spending $800, you can fit an i5-2500K and a GTX 560Ti.

    Also, I have to ask if you live near a Micro Center. That will save you $120.
  12. dalauder said:
    Can you link me the thread that they told you it's a good build on? I just want to see when it's from and check the discussion they had on the merits of an AMD build today. It's much smarter, IMO, to wait until Bulldozer instead of counting on it being good since it's only a couple more weeks--at the very least it will drop prices.

    It's not a terrible build build, but a very similar and possibly identical processor that costs $60 less seems like a no-brainer to me when you're planning on replacing it soon anyways.

    Other than that, the flaws are minor. But if I was spending $75 for a 650W, I'd instead spend $70 (AR) for this 750W Antec: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

    Also, I think the case is kinda skinny (under 7.5"). I'd get the Antec 300 Illusion for $50 (AR).

    And 1333Mhz Cas Latency 9 RAM is SLOW:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-bridge-ddr3_7.html#sect0

    Get 4GB 1600CL8 for $22 (AR): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178265
    The VERY good reviews tell you that you can count on this RAM not being DOA or defective (that's really all Newegg reviews are good for).



    Thanks for the heads up on some of this stuff man. I am going to build this PC next week when I get the money, and I will change some stuff on it.

    I am a college student but I need to get this build done because I live in chicago and i am going away to arizona for college

    Can you find me a good cheap case with a window?
    Can I send in rebates before I buy my pc?
  13. dalauder said:
    According to your earlier posts, you're spending as much as $800:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316626-31-build-good
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/317159-31-build-help-intel-build-build

    If you're spending $800, you can fit an i5-2500K and a GTX 560Ti.

    Also, I have to ask if you live near a Micro Center. That will save you $120.



    Can you build me a good 2500k build? Where I can sli/crossfire for under $800 or $750? (mostly crossfire because I can get amd cheaper for same performance)
  14. I saw in your "Intel or AMD" thread that Why_Me told you Intel. As a general rule, Why_Me is always right. Ocassionally he overlooks a few details, but mostly--he's right.

    Also, did you know that GTX 560Ti's were $170 after rebate last weekend?
  15. dalauder said:
    I saw in your "Intel or AMD" thread that Why_Me told you Intel. As a general rule, Why_Me is always right. Ocassionally he overlooks a few details, but mostly--he's right.

    Also, did you know that GTX 560Ti's were $170 after rebate last weekend?


    No i didnt know
  16. Do you live near a Micro Center?

    EDIT: Check here http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/westmont.html
    and here http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/chicago.html
    Those are in chicago--there are no Micro Centers in Arizona

    It'll save you $120 and get you everything you want in your budget.
  17. dalauder said:
    Do you live near a Micro Center?

    EDIT: Check here http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/westmont.html
    and here http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/chicago.html
    Those are in chicago--there are no Micro Centers in Arizona

    It'll save you $120 and get you everything you want in your budget.



    yeah i live about 30 min away from the store in westmont

    and about 45 min away from the one in downtown chicago
  18. Hmmm...the awesome Micro Center combo ended...now it's just a "great" combo. So Micro Center will only save you $75 ($90 after rebate). Still, it's worth going since you're in Chicago: http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sku_list=200121+525667

    It's important to go to Micro Center, sign up for their 5% off membership somewhere in the store (I don't remember what purchase has to go with it, maybe a candy bar), then go back and buy your bundle with 5% off (saving you $15).

    So...

    CPU: $180 i5-2500K

    Mobo: $105 (after $15 rebate) GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

    RAM: $22 PNY 4GB (2x2GB) 1600CL8 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178265&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=zefw8gdatl9o

    PSU: $85 No good deals no, the one I listed above expired at midnight Eastern. I suggest you just buy the mobo & CPU while the combo exists and wait a week or two and have the PSU shipped to Arizona. Stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX.

    Graphics: $193 (no rebate required) GTX 560Ti http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KWAHKC/ref=ox_ya_os_product?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals

    HDD: $60 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

    DVD: $20 Any DVD-RW

    Case: $70 (After $30 rebate) Thermaltake V9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133183

    Windows: $30 (don't spend $100, when you can get it for $30) http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows/default.aspx

    TOTAL: $765 (after rebates)

    REBATES: $20 (RAM), PSU?, $25 (Case)
  19. I recommend you buy the CPU & mobo online VERY soon before they're out of stock. Also, you should buy that GPU right away because it's going to run out of stock VERY soon.
  20. dalauder said:
    Hmmm...the awesome Micro Center combo ended...now it's just a "great" combo. So Micro Center will only save you $75 ($90 after rebate). Still, it's worth going since you're in Chicago: http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sku_list=200121+525667

    It's important to go to Micro Center, sign up for their 5% off membership somewhere in the store (I don't remember what purchase has to go with it, maybe a candy bar), then go back and buy your bundle with 5% off (saving you $15).

    So...

    CPU: $180 i5-2500K

    Mobo: $105 (after $15 rebate) GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

    RAM: $22 PNY 4GB (2x2GB) 1600CL8 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178265&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=zefw8gdatl9o

    PSU: $85 No good deals no, the one I listed above expired at midnight Eastern. I suggest you just buy the mobo & CPU while the combo exists and wait a week or two and have the PSU shipped to Arizona. Stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX.

    Graphics: $193 (no rebate required) GTX 560Ti http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KWAHKC/ref=ox_ya_os_product?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals

    HDD: $60 Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

    DVD: $20 Any DVD-RW

    Case: $70 (After $30 rebate) Thermaltake V9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133183

    Windows: $30 (don't spend $100, when you can get it for $30) http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows/default.aspx

    TOTAL: $765 (after rebates)

    REBATES: $20 (RAM), PSU?, $25 (Case)



    ok thanks and what do i do with rebates? do i send them in before i order?
  21. You can't send them in until you have the original UPC from your box. Be careful to make sure you firmly attach everything to the form (tape) and make sure you send in the correct UPC--usually they have two to trick you. But I get my rebates like 80% of the time.
  22. my friend bought an AMD phenom II 965 X4 which is basically a 955 raised to 3.4ghz from 3.2 ghz, anyway this thing is a beast and can go up to 4.0-4.2 ghz on air cooling easily

    now my friends pc is running 4.0 ghz stable on prime95 for 10 hours and temps are below 60C
    the cooling kit we used is Cooler Master V6GT which is awesome btw
  23. dalauder said:
    I guess that's true...the 560BE I hit 4.0GHz on the stock cooler with was a C3 stepping.

    That said, if he plans on replacing the CPU in a year, it's still worth getting the 720BE, don't you think?


    I love the 720BEs ...

    but the numbers I'm seeing from the newest PhII Quads are :o

    especially with an Asus M5A99X EVO AM3+ 990X

    He could go with the 560ti or a HD6950 if Radeon is his thing and be set for quite some time.

    I'm still kicking myself for not snagging a M5A99X when they were on sale a few weeks back. It's sweet fer sure.
  24. By the way, the PSU I wanted to suggest is back to $70: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049
  25. dalauder said:
    I saw in your "Intel or AMD" thread that Why_Me told you Intel. As a general rule, Why_Me is always right. Ocassionally he overlooks a few details, but mostly--he's right.

    Also, did you know that GTX 560Ti's were $170 after rebate last weekend?

    leave him alone with the nVdia\Intel BS.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Cooling Product