Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • DVD Drives
  • Blu-ray
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
April 8, 2011 6:21:10 PM

What are your thoughts on the best bootable BD/DVD drive for a new pc being built. MOBO has 2 SATAIII-M connections as well as 6 SATAII connections. Will they boot off the Marvell Satas? This is on a ASROCK P67 Extreme4 with an Intel I7 P67 Quad Core 3.4Ghz.

Thoughts ?

Thanks!

More about : bluray dvd drive opinions

a b G Storage
April 8, 2011 6:29:39 PM

Since the optical drive is being used less and less these days and the technology is very mature, I always opt for whatever drive is the least expensive :) 

You shouldn't have any problems booting from either controller, though I don't have first hand experience with that particular motherboard.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
April 8, 2011 6:32:47 PM

Put dvd drives on sata II, A waste of Sata III if you put there.
As far as "best" drive, I look for reliability, not speed. Currently have an LG and Samsung Blu-ray writer/DVD-rw drive - Both work great. Both laptops Have a Sony Blu-ray ROM/DVD-RW drive - no problem there. (Normally I DO NOT buy Sony products, But this is a personal preference). I tend to shy away from Lite-on Blu-ray drives.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 8, 2011 6:36:59 PM

Meh... if the ports are not being used, why not?

I'd rather disable the unused controller to speed up POST time.
m
l
April 8, 2011 7:33:22 PM

RetiredChief said:
Put dvd drives on sata II, A waste of Sata III if you put there.
As far as "best" drive, I look for reliability, not speed. Currently have an LG and Samsung Blu-ray writer/DVD-rw drive - Both work great. Both laptops Have a Sony Blu-ray ROM/DVD-RW drive - no problem there. (Normally I DO NOT buy Sony products, But this is a personal preference). I tend to shy away from Lite-on Blu-ray drives.

Yeah, not looking for speed , but reliability of course. I use the drive mostly for burning dvds so it will be used more often then a few software installations. I do not like the Lite-On products myself either. I'm thinking of getting 2 drives so I can burn disc to disc which I do now without issue, older dvd drives.

I am thinking of using the SATAIII for SSD in Raid 0 for the OS. Then put the Optical Drive(s) on the first 2 SataII, and then 4 WD drives for programs and storage.

m
l
a c 353 G Storage
April 9, 2011 2:29:21 AM

Sounds Good.
Ref SSDs in raid0: You probably know, but just to make sure, You lose TRI support so make sure you pick a SSD with a GOOD garbage collector (I think that the vertex III fits that). Also while Raid0 provides a big boost to Sequential read/writes, it does very little for the small file 4K random read/writes and does not decrease access time. The 4 K random reads are what is most important in terms of boot times and program loads, while the Sequencial's are more important when working with large files such as dot vob (DVD video files which are 1 gig) and blu-ray files can be from 10 Gigs to 40 gigs in a single file BUT they would have to be on the SSD - not HDD. Sequencial speeds are also important for working with large jpeg (Photos) and speadsheet files.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 9, 2011 1:24:50 PM

@RetiredChief

It's been a while since I asked you, so I'll do it again:

Do you know if AMD has straightened out their SATA drivers to allow TRIM to work or is the MS drivers still the only way to go?
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
April 9, 2011 2:40:58 PM

Not an AMD user so can not verify personally, but this is what I found: all are quotes.
Doing a google search for "trim support for amd" - latest post was jan 2011. Based on this I could NOT positively state, yes.
To verify, I would need to (1) see a statement from AMD - My Bad if they have; but on this support and the lenght of time they are acting like a 3rd rate company - sorry.
(2) or from a user that has VERIFIED that it is work, with supporting screen shots of writing a large amount of files then deleting. (Need to verify that it is trim, not CG that is cleaning. As Joe Friday use to say - "The facts maam, just the facts."

Resaults of search.
Response #56 of this thread at OCZ has some info on the TRIM situation with AMD's AHCI drivers. Apperantly TRIM is working - according to AMD Support Europe. I'm still curious as to why this has not been officially anounced by AMD.

ref: http://devforums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=38...
But seems to be countered in Dec 2010:
http://devforums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=38...

Next in line
I found this and think it's a good one to share with ya.
TRIM with AMD & Marvell AHCI drivers! - BeHardware
Quote from BEHARDWARE.COM (HARDWARE.FR for the french version)
Quote:
So where are we with TRIM support in these drivers? Well, it works! We were able to check them out both with Indilinx and SandForce SSDs, whether using the SSD then checking if the original performance levels are restored after quick formating, or simply by checking to see if the data of a deleted file has also disappeared by analysing the content of the SSD directly using WinHEX.

Just check those new drivers (whichever you need)...
The Marvell AHCI 1.0.0.1051s dated 22/11/2010
- The AMD AHCI 1.2.1.275s dated 11/11/2010
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
May 12, 2011 7:28:51 PM

^ is "rip" Rest-in-piece, like Dead.
What are you sking/saying????
m
l
a c 204 G Storage
May 12, 2011 7:55:16 PM

no it's some junk software site ,i see links all over toms!
m
l
!